Quantcast
Handgun & firearm club reccomendations??? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Handgun & firearm club reccomendations???

My Ride
    G35x

Default Handgun & firearm club reccomendations???

I realize probably only a small percentage of the beyond population are into firearms, but I know there are some people with knowledge that could help me out.

I recently received my FAC in the mail and would like to get into the sport of target shooting in the new year. However I do not own a firearm or belong to a firearms club. If you have any information pertaining to the following questions your responses would be greatly appreciated:

1) What is a good begginers 9mm handgun to purchase?? (easy to learn on, durable, and realiable)

2) How much am I lookin at spending on a hangun that meets the above requirements?

3) Should I consider purchasing a used handgun, if so where from??

4) Can you reccomend me a gun retailer??

5) Can you reccomend a firearms club that is local or close to the city that is affordable??

Thanx in advance.

Have you checked out the shooting edge on blackfoot?

A couple of ex army guys started that up a few years ago, lots of information in that place!

Let me know if you are going down there, It's always nice to put a few rounds through a C7.

My Ride
    G35x

Yeah I went there on my birthday, thats when I knew I had to take up this hobby. Thats where I took the unrestricted & restricted firearms course.

My Ride
    G35x

Bumpity

Any help would be much appreciated.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Default Re: Handgun & firearm club reccomendations???

Originally posted by badseed

1) What is a good begginers 9mm handgun to purchase?? (easy to learn on, durable, and realiable)

2) How much am I lookin at spending on a hangun that meets the above requirements?

3) Should I consider purchasing a used handgun, if so where from??

4) Can you reccomend me a gun retailer??

5) Can you reccomend a firearms club that is local or close to the city that is affordable??

Thanx in advance.
    I'll answer your first 2 questions.

1,2) I would suggest buying used. You can find a nice Glock for about 500 bucks on the used market. I like them because they are simple, and have a large magazine capacity. My Beretta 92FS retails for about 1200 new, but you can find them used for 7-800 here and there, would not recommend it however, it's heavy and cumersome, and kind of a maintenance whore. Ruger also makes some very inexpensive handguns that can be had new for only 500 bucks. So if you want new, thats a good choice.

As for shooting clubs, welp, it's Canada, not too much for us canucks compared to the US.

Canada has lots of outdoor rifle and shotgun ranges, but we lack in the pistol dept. The Shooting Edge is pricey on a per visit basis, but if you plan to go a lot, then their yearly membership is a real bargain, especially if you have your own gun and provide your own ammunition.
    Travel

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

If you're going to go used, I'd strongly suggest looking for a Sig. They can get pricey, but well worth it. I would also encourage you to try to pick up a decent .22 handgun. They are much cheaper to put lead through. Also, you'll find that the rounds that you've shot at the shooting edge aren't nearly as hot as the ones you'll be shooting once you have your own gun and can choose you're own ammo. Once you've shot some real ammo, you'll realize how watered down the stuff they give you is (I'm not criticizing them, I love that place and realize they have to diminish the abuse on their weapons in whatever ways they can.).
    A .22 will also be an excellent esteem builder. Being able to pick something up and properly group at 25 yards as a beginner is a lot of fun. A .22 is also the best way to get used to proper aiming technique and to train yourself not to anticipate the shot and flinch when the gun goes off.
    If I were you, I'd try to save a little money on the 9mm by buying a used one (be sure it is inspected by a competent gunsmith) and invest the 250-350 dollars I saved into a decent .22

With that in mind, I'm by no means an expert.
    Just my $0.02

Kris

P.S. If you're just looking for a cheap plincking gun, check out Marstar Canada. They're out of Ontario somewhere and they carry Norincos. I've heard that the Norinco is actually not as big a piece of crap as most other knock offs and can actually be a pretty decent gun after a trigger job and barrel work. Keep in mind that these will never be the most accurate/dependable guns, but they are supposed to be pretty good considering the price (new 9mm for about $200 CAD+shipping).
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

hey ben where can you find used handguns? im also interested in getting into this sport. i went to the shooting edge and shot a 40cal S&W and it seemed to work well with me.

The best advice anyone can give you will be to shoot a bunch of different guns and find what you think feels best.

No two hands are the same size and no two guns are alike.

I like HK USP's a lot but many people dont.

My Ride
    G35x

Thanx for the input boyz

I'm currently leaning towards a used firearm but don't really now where to look or even a decent gunsmith to inspect it. I know a .22 is the best handgun to learn on but I really want a 9mm. I think in the long run I'll end up gettin a membership at the shooting edge.

I went there on the weekend to check it out, looks like fun for sure. They have used guns there, 9mm..... Maybe I'll do some shooting this weekend there.

My Ride
    '95 dc2, '91 XJ

Originally posted by Moonracer
    I went there on the weekend to check it out, looks like fun for sure. They have used guns there, 9mm..... Maybe I'll do some shooting this weekend there.
    do you know a rough estimate on how much $ it costs there? also can anyone go in there and fire a few rounds off?...am thinking of takin my buddy there for his b-day.
    sorry I dont have helpful info badseed....

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by turbo'dGSR

do you know a rough estimate on how much $ it costs there? also can anyone go in there and fire a few rounds off?...am thinking of takin my buddy there for his b-day.

the price adds up fast if you dont have a membership/own gear.

day pass is 33 bucks, 9mm ammo is like 25 bucks for 50 rounds.

Last time I went and used their gear it was 200 dollars an hour to have any fun.
    Travel

Default Entry level handguns/Ranges

All Glocks are perfect 9mm or 40.

Beretta's are also nice 92f.

As for used cheap firearms check out

www.policeordnance.com (look for the auction tab)

www.gunscanada.biz

www.valleyguns.com

www.canadiangunnute.com

The best shooting range I have found personally in calgary is
    the buffalo target shooters association
    www.btsa.ca
    email:[email protected]

$150.00 annual memberhip
    Only handguns outdoors. Next door to deerfoot mall. Across from the police firearms training facility.
    Last edited by sportryder; 01-11-2005 at 08:52 PM.
    Calgary, Alberta

My Ride
    Cup of Tea

when i went i payed $60 for the 40 cal gun 50 rounds and the range fee+ equiptment then if you want another 50 rounds its about $25

Originally posted by turbo'dGSR

Like ben said it's pricey. If you just want to fire a few rounds and go I'd suggest 9mm because they have a few guns you can use with that caliber if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the links sportryder.

I am currently looking for a S&W revolver used.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    03' Silverado 1500 & 2500, 04 g35

I used to shoot guns with my friend back in the day.. i loved his colt 45 enchanced model..

My Ride
    G35x

Thanx again bozy, I'll be researching on these sites for awhile. In a few months I plan to have a membership somewhere and my own firearm of course.

My Ride
    97 Ls/Vtec ..95 Pathfinder

glock 17 9mm$750 used perfect condition, the shooting edge, awsome range, good guys that know a lot of stuff

i started off with the glock 17-9mm than after about 6-7 months upgraded to the glock 22 40cal.
    id like a sig 226 next and a CAL15(not a handgun), than a beretta 92 compact L just cause the first handgun I ever held was a beretta 92 O.P.P issue.
    Last edited by TomTom; 01-12-2005 at 01:12 AM.
    A$$

My Ride
    97 Ls/Vtec ..95 Pathfinder

Originally posted by civicrider
    when i went i payed $60 for the 40 cal gun 50 rounds and the range fee+ equiptment then if you want another 50 rounds its about $25
    next time you want to go let me know well goto wholesale sports buy .40 cal bullets for my gun and well shoot for 17$ and like $25 a box flatrate
    A$$

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast