Quantcast
Router/Internet problems: MSN wont stay logged on, delayed internet response, etc - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Router/Internet problems: MSN wont stay logged on, delayed internet response, etc

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Default Router/Internet problems: MSN wont stay logged on, delayed internet response, etc

Hey guys,
    I decided to bring a 1 1/2 year old Linksys router out of storage and use it with a couple of laptops. Anyways the primary laptop seems to be running as normal however the laptop using the 2nd port of the router has some problems. These include slow and delayed internet response, msn not staying logged on, slow downloads and basically just general crappy performance. Its almost as if Im losing my connection for 5-10 seconds then waiting for the system to find the internet connection again. Does anyone know what this coule be? Shitty router? Improperly setup computer? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

sounds liek both computers are trying to figth over the same IP, is the router set to dhcp? or have all computers been assigned their own ip?
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Model S

those things are so flakey, you can try upgrading the firmware. that seems to help about half the time, but other times they are just paperweights. ive gone through a number of defective ones.

Originally posted by Thaco
    sounds liek both computers are trying to figth over the same IP, is the router set to dhcp? or have all computers been assigned their own ip?
    No, using a router, two systems wont "fight" for the same IP. They will both request an IP from the router and will be assigned one.

Redlyne, have you tried the obvious and swapped the cables to see if its the jack on the router thats messed or the PC configuration? If the primary laptop is working on all router ports, you know where the problem is.
    ---

My Ride
    2Look slk

It would seem theyre both fighting for the same IP almost. I never configured anything when I hooked up the router, I plugged them in, reset the modem and thats it. How do I rectify this? Thanks for the responses thus far.

Thanks Kenny Ill have allok at the wiring
    BTW this is Redlyne

My Ride
    B18C5 neon -|-y|>3 r

i assume you tried powercycling the router and plugging in different ports? does the second computer have problems when only it is plugged in? you can just do a quick ipconfig if you think the 2 computers are "fighting" over the same ip but that's dumb.

Once the router gives a computer an IP address, any other computer will be given a different IP address once they are mapped out by the router. I know that with my linksys router you can set priority to certain ports, maybe the main port has been assigned a higher priority. One problem with using several computers on a router, is that there will be alot of overhead, meaning that each computer is gonna have to share its time on the internet connection with other computers. Is the main computer using up alot of the internet resources?

I know that when I had a problems with the router, I emailed linksys and they got back to me withing a day or two and it fixed the problem first time, try sending them an email.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Originally posted by forced14
    Once the router gives a computer an IP address, any other computer will be given a different IP address once they are mapped out by the router. I know that with my linksys router you can set priority to certain ports, maybe the main port has been assigned a higher priority. One problem with using several computers on a router, is that there will be alot of overhead, meaning that each computer is gonna have to share its time on the internet connection with other computers. Is the main computer using up alot of the internet resources?

I know that when I had a problems with the router, I emailed linksys and they got back to me withing a day or two and it fixed the problem first time, try sending them an email.
    Yeah I wasnt sure if Linksys would still assist me because my router is older but I will try contacting them. The primary computer is fast as usual. Its the secondary comp thats lagging.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Might be the second comp's TCP/IP settings or something screwing up the settings. Don't forget to upgrade your firmware if you pulled this thing out of the closet from 1 1/2 ago. Firmware upgrades on my linksys helped it.

Have you isolated the problem to the router?

Try plugging your 2nd laptop (the one that's going slower) into the modem directly to see what speeds it would get without the router.
    Then, plug only the (slow) laptop into the router in the 1st slot and observe the speed, and then plug your (fast) laptop into the 2nd slot in the router and see if any problems arise.

If it is the router, have you tried upgrading the firmware?

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by kenny

No, using a router, two systems wont "fight" for the same IP. They will both request an IP from the router and will be assigned one.

Redlyne, have you tried the obvious and swapped the cables to see if its the jack on the router thats messed or the PC configuration? If the primary laptop is working on all router ports, you know where the problem is.
    Originally posted by forced14

this is true IF the router is set to dhcp and the computers are set to automatically obtain an ip address... otherwise they WILL fight over it and NEITHER will win!