Quantcast
Chevy blazer vs. Chevy suburban - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Chevy blazer vs. Chevy suburban

My Ride
    1996 2-dr Chevy Blazer

Default Chevy blazer vs. Chevy suburban

Hi:

I'm 16 years old, and am currently saving up for a 1998 Chevy Blazer. I've always been driven in REALLY small cars throughout my life, never had anything bigger like a truck, van, or any SUV. Now I'm going to get a blazer. They're better in winter, and are very reliable. Anyways, is there a BIG difference in gas between a blazer and a suburban? Just wondering how much different they are. I'm still getting a blazer, but I just wanted to know, for maybe, in the future. Thanks for your help!!!

I would do some research and find out what your insurance rates and average fuel cost are going to be on both vehicles.

I notice that you live in New York, is winter driving so bad that you need a 4x4?

I tremble at the thought of a new driver barreling around in a suburban...
    1997 SS (4.3 with spray)12.9@103mph
    1985 V8 S10 (355 with AFR heads and spray)[email protected]
    1991 Syclone #1907 (4.3 with boost)13.6@97mph
    1991 Syclone #0106 (4.3 with boost)xx@xx
    Trucks aren't quick, silly.

My Ride
    335i

My dad has a Chevy Blazer.

The 4.3L is a good engine, but it uses a LOT of fuel. Typically, it needs a fillup ($60) after about 5 days.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Rochester gets a lot of snow sometimes...

They are both pigs on fuel.

blazer S10 style too small i was thinkin of gettin one, than i test drove some burbans... toooo freaken big for everyday use... i ended up fallin in love with my 97 yukon. just enough room good for daily driving, and has pretty good power and looks good. Ive been gettin pretty good fuel econemy VS my old 86 3/4 gmc, im gettin between 600 and 750 KM per tank, pendin on how im driving and if im in 4wd
    I would say do some lookin around comparing a blazer to a burban are 2 diffrent worlds, try out some yukon's/tahoe's you would proboly be pretty happy..

My Ride
    91 4x4 BLAZER

i have a 91 blazer, like weaponR said, it used a !@#$ load of gas, i fill up about 50-60 dollars every 4 days, if i DON"T drive alot.

They're alright, I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything. Don't expect them to be speed machines cuz they're not designed for racing, although i have taken a few of my friends in accel, but after that, i'm a car length behind them or so, but the 4x4 makes a huge difference on your "FUN" factor, so it depends on what your into

My Ride
    1996 2-dr Chevy Blazer

Wow, I didn't realize that blazers you spend $60 on gas. Just wondering, what is your gas rates right now? I hate to admit it, right now, I can get gas for $1.99, cheapest. Well, the way I was thinking about it is, it gets about 18-20 mpg, and my work is probably, around 10 miles for a round trip, and I work about 4-5 times a week, so 10 miles is only 1/2 a gallon, and say I work 4 times, that's only 2 gallons used up, and I have like 16 gallons left over. Am I correct, or am I missing something. Gas wouldn't kill me if what I said was true. Oh, and I'm NOT going to drive a suburban. I was simply wondering. Thanks!

My Ride
    Infiniti

what your thinkin of is perfect gas milage, your a new driver, youll be on the gas every two seconds, trust me, and those gas milage things are done under certain conditions which dont usually match actual conditions, you will be lucky if you can get close to those numbers, and on another note, ive been fond of these, not to big, not to small, body style is sweet,
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    '98 Toyota Tacoma TRD

And he means 60 dollars in canuck funds.
    White '98 TRD Extended Cab
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Long Tube Headers, Borla Exhaust
    YotaFab Front Bumper, 10,000lb SuperWinch, Lightforce Striker 170s, YotaFab Custom Rear Bumper, Allpro Sliders
    IVD Coilovers, TC UCAs & Spindle Gussets, Alcan Rear Leaf Springs, Icon VS RR Rear Shocks
    Tacoma Manual Hub Swap (Warns Temp), Tundra S13WE Calliper and Rotors, Brembo Rear Drums, SS Brake Lines
    35x12.5 BFG KM2 Tires, 4.88 Gears, ARB Front Locker, TRD Rear Locker
    Painted, Fenders Cut and Bed Bobbed.

Untitled Offroad Team - "See you on the trails!"

My Ride
    1996 2-dr Chevy Blazer

Well, that's good that it's in canadian. Anyways, I was reading a lot of reviews online, and some people hated them, and other people loved them. I personally found my brothers ('96) to be pretty good, sturdy, reliable, and just fun to drive. Am I still being unrealistic though? Again, it probably takes me 10 miles to get to and from my job, so if I work 4 times a week, I get 40 miles, which is about 2-2.5 gallons. That's just for work, then I have like 10-15 gallons left for free/save them for the next week. I wouldn't use the 4-wheel drive much at all, so that would save me some on gas. If I do all that, will that still be horrible gas milage? I estimated it, where I live, to be about 30 bucks a week. Note I wouldn't fill it all the way at the bottom end of the tank.

Ive noticed with my yukon, aslong as im not using 4wd the gas milage is great bout 700 KM to a tank and it cost me bout 70 bucks to fill, but ive lost some milage puttin in a K&N filter tho.... This last tank ive gone threw tho i got 500 and it was in 4wd almost the whole time plus lettin it warm up with the car starter all the time....
    But seriously what really does get good gas milage now a days, aslong as your not driving foot to the floor and always tryin to race people and and have a bunch of performance goodies, i wouldnt really be worryed about gas milage , just keep it tuned up and you should be just fine..

My Ride
    1996 2-dr Chevy Blazer

Originally posted by phat97yukon
    Ive noticed with my yukon, aslong as im not using 4wd the gas milage is great bout 700 KM to a tank and it cost me bout 70 bucks to fill, but ive lost some milage puttin in a K&N filter tho.... This last tank ive gone threw tho i got 500 and it was in 4wd almost the whole time plus lettin it warm up with the car starter all the time....
    But seriously what really does get good gas milage now a days, aslong as your not driving foot to the floor and always tryin to race people and and have a bunch of performance goodies, i wouldnt really be worryed about gas milage , just keep it tuned up and you should be just fine..
    Thank you VERY much, I appreciate very much your thoughts on that. I assume you have a blazer, or something like it (yukon?). But ya, I wouldn't race anyone, would probably have maybe 4wd once a week, just to keep it working. But ya, normally I'll have it on 2wd, be good on using the gas/break pedals easier that usual. And, well, that's great!!! I assume since it costs 70 bucks for you, that's because you live in Canada, right? Hope so. Again, thanks for your VERY HELPFUL thoughts!!

My Ride
    2004 Titanium RX-8 MT

I drive a 98 GMC Suburban K2500 with a 7.4 L and it is a pig on gas. When I drive it to commute for a week (30 kms each way) it goes through near 7/8 tank of gas that is 160 liters. (so averaging 120-140 liters a week) It is great to drive though especially with a Banks power pack on it.
    But I figured I was dumping so much money into the tank it would be more cost effective to use a small daily driver. Now I usually only drive it in the winter if my wife will be driving further than me.

You can't beat the Suburban for it's size. Great for hauling, great for moving junk, - it holds 4x8 sheets of plywood or sheet rock. A good all around truck.
    Last edited by radarguy; 02-20-2005 at 10:49 AM.
    2004 Grey Mazda 6s Sport Wagon AT
    2004 Titanium RX-8 GT 6MT
    1998 GMC Suburban K2500 SLT - Banks power pack.
    Gone 1988 MX-6 LX
    Gone 1985 RX-7 GSL-SE

My Ride
    2000 Chevy S-10 ZR2

Buy a Blazer ZR2 model.
    http://www.zedr2.com