Quantcast
Turbo Setup - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Turbo Setup

Default Turbo Setup

What the deal with a turbo setup with out an intercooler or BOV?? Aside from not having cold air coming into the system, I would assume the performance isn't as good.
    Damn +44411's

i dont think you can with no bov, otherwise it would spin the turbo backwards. But no intercooler you can, but all you would be sucking in is hot air

Originally posted by buh_buh
    i dont think you can with no bov, otherwise it would spin the turbo backwards. But no intercooler you can, but all you would be sucking in is hot air
    A lot kits don't have an intercooler, and I've read that they work without them. So when you say sucking in hot air, would it be just an open tube inside the engine bay??
    Damn +44411's

no, it will work, but the engine likes cold air better than hot air (that's why people put in CAI's right?). So performance would be enhanced with an intercooler. And you can run a turbo with no intercooler.

So starting out with a basic kit and adding an intercooler later would be a good start...
    Damn +44411's

I think it woudl be better for you to run an intercooler from the beginning.

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

You can run with no BOV

Originally posted by rage2
    Can someone who speaks brown please translate this for me please?

My Ride
    Dakota ... what? Yes, I know its a truck.

the simplest system would be an airbypass and no intercooler. I wouldn't want to run anything I owned without an air bypass or BOV.

w/o an intercooler .. you'd be safest to keep boost levels low. Most superchargers don't have intercoolers in fact.... boost up to 10psi tops I'd say. 7psi to keep it real. depends on the engine though.
    My Ride
    "Nobody snuggles with Max Power ... you strap yourself in and feel the G's" - Max Power

You can have a turbo setup with no intercooler or bov... there a neon i know of that is putting 350whp with no intercooler or bov, i wouldnt advise it cause that engine is fully built... with no bov you run the risk of your turbo craping out faster (cause of compressed gases running back in the compressor side).. and with no intercooler you run the risk of detonation because of the increased heat... if your going to do a diy turbo you might as well get a cheap intercooler and a cheap bov just for car longevity sake

cold air is denser, and therfore there is more oxygen, and it burns better. thats why u "cool" the air...intercooler will make ur turbo setup much more efficient
    Built not Bought.
    Originally posted by mitsumirage
    the civic will always be just a basic car , poor people will always buy them , its sad but its true

My Ride
    '15 GTI

besides a nice FMIC is damn sexy, and lets everyone know what theyre playing with, or at least just a hint

But no intercooler you can, but all you would be sucking in is hot air
    I don't think its a matter of sucking in cool air like a CAI, I think the intercooler just allows the air to cool

My Ride
    '15 GTI

yeah, if you have no intercooler the air on the compressor side (air being forced into manifold) is heated by the impeller (exhaust driven) side, if the intake air is routed to an intercooler it is cooled and cooler air means more dense and thus more air for the same volume, and the air is cooler as to avoid detonation (premature boom in combustion chamber due to higher temps)

if im wrong on any of this, feel free to correct

My Ride
    Dakota ... what? Yes, I know its a truck.

Originally posted by three.eighteen.
    yeah, if you have no intercooler the air on the compressor side (air being forced into manifold) is heated by the impeller (exhaust driven) side, if the intake air is routed to an intercooler it is cooled and cooler air means more dense and thus more air for the same volume, and the air is cooler as to avoid detonation (premature boom in combustion chamber due to higher temps)

if im wrong on any of this, feel free to correct
    Correction: the incoming air is NOT heated by the exhaust gases (not significantly anyhow)... it is heated from being compressed. compressing a gas heats it up, throttling a gas cools it down (this is how A/C works).

Also, the primary reason for an intercooler is to prevent pinging/knocking/pre-ignition/detonation.
    My Ride
    "Nobody snuggles with Max Power ... you strap yourself in and feel the G's" - Max Power

Depending on your setup, a BOV may not be necessary at all. On turbo dodges, the only ones that had it were the auto turbo Is and the high performance turbo IIIs I believe. My turbo II doesn't need one even though it runs ~12-14 psi (pretty high for stock) because the routing for the i/c is too long for pressure to build up back to the compressor impeller.
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

My Ride
    vw's and volvos

bov are not required but do keep the turbo turbine up to speed. Think of it this way.....if you are cruising over a hill with the throttle pressed hard and the turbo is spunup.....suddenly you see what you think is a speed trap and remove you foot from the throttle onm order to brake. What happens is with the throttle closed and the turbine spinning it creates a build up of pressure on the intake side of the engine and this pressure buildup quickly causes the turbo turbine to slow down......A bov releases this pressure on the intake and allows the turbine to keep spinning so that when you realize the speed trap is a mistake you can shift back to hard throttle and your turbo does not have to spool back up to speed......essentially it will minimize lag. Do you need them....no..are the nice to have....you bet!

thats my 2 cents worth

My Ride
    Black rocket

Originally posted by prophet_ca
    You can have a turbo setup with no intercooler or bov... there a neon i know of that is putting 350whp with no intercooler or bov, i wouldnt advise it cause that engine is fully built... with no bov you run the risk of your turbo craping out faster (cause of compressed gases running back in the compressor side).. and with no intercooler you run the risk of detonation because of the increased heat... if your going to do a diy turbo you might as well get a cheap intercooler and a cheap bov just for car longevity sake
    Most race cars with no Intercooler, do so because they are on a tight weight budget. They are also running different types of fuel, etc. That is of course for severe race only situations, not recommeded for street use.

Here is a quote from an article by Stephan Papadakis "No air-to-air or air-to-liquid intercooler was used in order to save weight. Our theory was that the generous flow of methanol injected into the engine would cool the air charge from the turbo charger enough so an intercooler wouldn't be necessary
    XES

H22A/F20B S372turbo (800+whp)

My Ride
    Sfire GT and Daytona turbo

Originally posted by Ranger_X31
    On turbo dodges, the only ones that had it were the auto turbo Is and the high performance turbo IIIs I believe.
    All the newer TI's had them. 2.2 and 2.5 TI's from 88 and up had a plastic BOV in the airbox. I think they leak at about 9 psi though.
    Scott
    CFB Esquimalt/HMCS Protecteur