Quantcast
insulin spike?? Post workout question - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: insulin spike?? Post workout question

Default insulin spike?? Post workout question

Okay Im getting confused about this.. after a work out do I need food high in protein or of high glycemic index ???

i usually have a shake thats it.. should I be drinking glucose or dextrose?

My Ride
    335i

Don't you guys ever worry about all of that shit that you are injecting into your bodies without truly knowing the side effects of them all?

After a workout, you should sit down and rest
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    GAR CON!!!!!!!

are you diabetic? if not why are you worrying about insulin?

No Im not diabetec.. nor do I inject.. I was reading up on post work out meals alot of them suggested foods high in glycemic index.

something I found online.

After a hard workout your muscles are torn down, glycogen is depleted, and you may have even entered catabolism. The only way to stop this is by feeding them the nutrients that they need. Studies show that carbs are stored as glycogen 125% more efficiently directly after working out than any other time during the day. Also, protein synthesis is highly elevated. It only makes sense to take advantage of this time and feed your muscles what they need to repair and grow.

It is so important to consume carbohydrates after working out, but do you know what kind to take in? After training, you want the fastest acting carbohydrate possible. You want it to quickly elevate your blood sugar levels shuttling nutrients to your muscles. A carbohydrate on the glycemic index scale of 100+ would be optimal. You also want it to be in liquid form for quicker absorption. Maltodextrin and dextrose, the carbohydrates used in most creatine + sugar mixes and weight gainers are best. Depending on metabolism and the intensity of your workou
    Last edited by gggunit; 01-05-2005 at 04:47 PM.

just another note:

To create an insulin spike after training, a simple carbohydrate (sugars) should be consumed. Some examples of good sugary carbs to consume after a workout are, honey and fruit juices. The spike created will increase protein synthesis (1).

You need the high GI carbs and fast acting protein, sugar ( malto or dex) and isolate are your best bet but whey is just as good, my post workout shake is 2 scoops of whey 3 scoops of dex and 750ml of water, sweet as fuck but you get used to it, can't find malto anywhere in calgary, just dextrose.

Just make sure you don't use milk or eat any fat, I'll usually eat a nice balanced meal about an hour after the shake.

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    Don't you guys ever worry about all of that shit that you are injecting into your bodies without truly knowing the side effects of them all?
    I agree. I need to gain weight fast (20lbs in 5-6 months) but I'm stayin away from all that other stuff. A good diet should do the trick. I don't wanna take something to give me 25 pounds for football and then get cancer when I'm 40 or die of some crazy heart failure in my 20s. It ain't worth it, IMO. The only thing I would eat is diet supplements, like whey protein or other grasses you can mix in smoothies/shakes whatever to get the right vitamins and minerals.

Good diet...
    Heart failure...
    Originally posted by VIZSLA
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

glucose, dextrose and maltodextrine are forms of sugar you eat them not inject and they won't give you cancer.

If you are just starting out 15lbs in 6 months is a piece of cake with a good consistent diet.

Originally posted by rahim
    You need the high GI carbs and fast acting protein, sugar ( malto or dex) and isolate are your best bet but whey is just as good, my post workout shake is 2 scoops of whey 3 scoops of dex and 750ml of water, sweet as fuck but you get used to it, can't find malto anywhere in calgary, just dextrose.

Just make sure you don't use milk or eat any fat, I'll usually eat a nice balanced meal about an hour after the shake.

Im thinking about drinking prune juice which is rated 100+ (very high) on the Glycemic Index even more then glucose. I just dont want to get the shitz after.

why even bother with glucose? just bye dextrose from safeway $6 for 5lbs and mix it with water and some juice crystals or flavoured protein

My Ride
    '15 GTI

a glass of juice with your protein after work is usually good enough i think

After a workout I usually just eat a couple bananas and then have a meal with protein right after.

The bananas replenish any electrolytes lost during the workout and have enough fructose and carbs to keep me going until supper.

Originally posted by rahim
    why even bother with glucose? just bye dextrose from safeway $6 for 5lbs and mix it with water and some juice crystals or flavoured protein
    cool I'll pick it up Dextrose cheap too.

it'll be in the same area as the wine kits