Quantcast
Building New Home - Split-Fridge Question - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Building New Home - Split-Fridge Question

My Ride
    Apex Predator

Default Building New Home - Split-Fridge Question

Here's the deal. I am a total n00b to this. I've upgraded my fridge to the Frigidaire GLHS238ZDB. It is a split fridge, with an ice maker/water on the front. I'm being told now I need a water supply line in order for this to work. The house isn't even built yet, so adding that in isn't a problem it just costs money. But is this the only thing that needs to be added to get it up and running? Anyone else have a split-fridge setup?

Oh and I've called the place that deals with my home builder, and where I bought the fridge. Trail Appliances. But my salesman is on holidays, and im waiting for his assistant to call me back.. I just figured I'd inquire to beyond.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by NickGT; 01-06-2005 at 02:43 PM.

"She takes premium dude! PREMIUM!!! DUDE!!!!"

My Ride
    V167

mmm..frigidaire, we have a Gallery stainless fridgidaire in the kitchen..very nice choice. And yes, all it needs is a water line, not what else did you think it would need (flux capacitor )?? jus playin foo

what kind of other appliances you getting?

My Ride
    Germanrific - 1/4/5/6/A/C/E/R

haah....off topic...but with appliances, i say go all out for your kitchen

get a:

sub-zero sxs fridge or with bottom freezer...panel matched to your kitchen!

a wolf 6 burner range with oven

or a wall integrated microwave/oven unit

and a gaggenau dishwasher..or an entire gannenau kitchen..haha

anyways...
    Last edited by t-im; 01-06-2005 at 02:26 PM.

My Ride
    Apex Predator

Originally posted by nismodrifter
    mmm..frigidaire, we have a Gallery stainless fridgidaire in the kitchen..very nice choice. And yes, all it needs is a water line, not sure what else you think it would need (flux capacitor )?? jus playin foo

what kind of other appliances you getting?
    Just paranoid , cause there's the supply line, and then there's a charge to modify the existing plans... So if there's anything else I need, I don't wanna get dinged more than once to change the plans.

My Ride
    V167

Better to be paranoid now than playing the "I wish we had done this..." game later

Originally posted by NickGT

Just paranoid , cause there's the supply line, and then there's a charge to modify the existing plans... So if there's anything else I need, I don't wanna get dinged more than once to change the plans.
    Ahh yes the stupid $50 dollar charge (or is it more?) just to add one thing in

My Ride
    Apex Predator

Originally posted by Skylinelover

Ahh yes the stupid $50 dollar charge (or is it more?) just to add one thing in
    $150

Personally, I wouldnt waste my money. Freezers on fridges dehumidify to keep them from frosting up. Unfortunately this also causes your food to get serious freezer burn. I would just get a big single door style and get a chest freezer for the basement.

Chest freezers are sealed units and dont dry out or burn anything that is in them (given that you dont keep stuff in there for 2 years).

Originally posted by NickGT

$150
    Holy crap. When I built it was 250!

My Ride
    Apex Predator

Originally posted by sputnik
    Personally, I wouldnt waste my money. Freezers on fridges dehumidify to keep them from frosting up. Unfortunately this also causes your food to get serious freezer burn. I would just get a big single door style and get a chest freezer for the basement.

Chest freezers are sealed units and dont dry out or burn anything that is in them (given that you dont keep stuff in there for 2 years).
    While that may very well be right. I've never had a problem with any fridge with a freezer attached. (to the top though - this is my first split).

It's only the girlfriend and I living in the house. A big single door style fridge would most likely never be full, or end up full of crap. Which would end up being a huge pain in the ass all the time. Now there's no running up and down stairs to a chest, everything is all in the same place. It's alot more functional. Plus it looks alot better. It's worth the money in my opinion.

I plan on getting a small chest eventually. But we'll see about that if the need arises.

Originally posted by Skylinelover

Holy crap. When I built it was 250!
    Ouch! Well that makes me feel better though
    Last edited by NickGT; 01-06-2005 at 03:13 PM.

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

Yea just the water line and if you're not developing ur basement and u want to in th e future, an du know how it'll be you might as well put in water lines in there aswell, we have plumbing fctures a wate rline for the kitchen and another for the sauna and built our basement a year after our house was built.

My Ride
    Apex Predator

Originally posted by /////AMG
    Yea just the water line and if you're not developing ur basement and u want to in th e future, an du know how it'll be you might as well put in water lines in there aswell, we have plumbing fctures a wate rline for the kitchen and another for the sauna and built our basement a year after our house was built.
    Yah our basement isn't developed either. We aren't to sure what we want to do with it. I've already got 2.5 bathrooms in the house, so I dont think I need another in the basement. I think it'll be mostly for storage. Even our washer and dryer are the stackable type, and are located upstairs which is nice.

Thanks for the idea though. I was looking at putting a rough-in for future plumbing down there, totally didnt think about the need for the water line I'd need as well. It's something to think about.

4.5 months until possession as of the last letter we recieved. Framing should be started in the next week.

My Ride
    2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V

Originally posted by t-im
    haah....off topic...but with appliances, i say go all out for your kitchen

get a:

sub-zero sxs fridge or with bottom freezer...panel matched to your kitchen!

a wolf 6 burner range with oven

or a wall integrated microwave/oven unit

and a gaggenau dishwasher..or an entire gannenau kitchen..haha

anyways...
    My kind of guy. I just picked up a Wolf 4 burner dual fuel range, with a griddle in the middle, Wolf microwave, Wolf hood,JennAir dishwasher with the buttons inside the door, and a JennAir fridge with the freeze on the bottom. Ran me $13,000USD before tax.
    2002 Nissan Sentra Spec-V: AEM, UR, HS, Greddy, G2, MTX, Grafxworks, Eurolite, Sprint, TWM, MOMO, Mobil 1, ES, SenDel, Toyo, DieHard, Sylvania, 20% tint, Alpine, Clarion, Redline

My Ride
    L-Tuned

Originally posted by Lazarus

My kind of guy. I just picked up a Wolf 4 burner dual fuel range, with a griddle in the middle, Wolf microwave, Wolf hood,JennAir dishwasher with the buttons inside the door, and a JennAir fridge with the freeze on the bottom. Ran me $13,000USD before tax.
    Someone I know allowed his wife to purchase anything she wanted for their new kitchen in their new house. She spent over $50k on the stove, fridge, and dishwasher ALONE.

My Ride

Originally posted by Altezza

Someone I know allowed his wife to purchase anything she wanted for their new kitchen in their new house. She spent over $50k on the stove, fridge, and dishwasher ALONE.
    Are you serious? Wolf is the best I ever heard of and I dont remember seeing anything over like 10k. I do know some commercial stoves can get like that. Find out what kind of stuff it was. I love to cook so I splurge on the kitchen. We are doing an addition.
    2002 Nissan Sentra Spec-V: AEM, UR, HS, Greddy, G2, MTX, Grafxworks, Eurolite, Sprint, TWM, MOMO, Mobil 1, ES, SenDel, Toyo, DieHard, Sylvania, 20% tint, Alpine, Clarion, Redline

Wolf ranges are made so that people can say "I own a Wolf" and then everyone can laugh at them and their LV bags in the closet collecting dust. Really, there isnt much technology involved in a gas range (valve to let gas out... and something to light it).

Even the SubZero fridges are over rated too. Instead of spending $5-6k on a SubZero fridge get 2 full size stainless steel Amana's and save $2-3k.

My Ride
    Apex Predator

Well Trail Appliances didn't return my call

Anyways I was pretty sure all I needed was the water supply line and some of you verified it, so thanks for the help people. I'll take care of this as soon as weather permits.. Man its shitty out there right now. Winter

My Ride
    L-Tuned

Originally posted by Lazarus

Are you serious? Wolf is the best I ever heard of and I dont remember seeing anything over like 10k. I do know some commercial stoves can get like that. Find out what kind of stuff it was. I love to cook so I splurge on the kitchen. We are doing an addition.
    I'm not certain of the brand of the items purchased. I never asked and even if I did, I probably wouldn't remember - cooking ain't my thing, LOL. A large portion of the cost was to customize all the faces such that they appeared "camoflouged" with the kitchen cabinets.

My Ride
    1ST GEN

Originally posted by sputnik
    Wolf ranges are made so that people can say "I own a Wolf" and then everyone can laugh at them and their LV bags in the closet collecting dust. Really, there isnt much technology involved in a gas range (valve to let gas out... and something to light it).

Even the SubZero fridges are over rated too. Instead of spending $5-6k on a SubZero fridge get 2 full size stainless steel Amana's and save $2-3k.
    Well there may not be a massive amount of technology to these ranges, but there is ALOT put into the research and development of these products. The fittings that they use are solid brass and the burners are solid cast with brass coating. This all makes a massive difference when other companies like Ultraline (Viking) try a sell a "similar" product for the same price. An ultraline range uses the panels as structure, a Wolf has a frame more solid than most cars and panels only for decoration. More flame variation and belive me, the list goes on and on and on as to why Wolf Ranges are the best on the market, forget about price.
    Don't even get me started on how much better a sub zero fridge is that a maytag (amana).
    As far as the water line goes, builders will soak you for every upgrade, belive me, I work for one. Go to coast appliances, ask for a card for John Mackenzie and have him install the copper pipping afterwards for half the price.

My Ride

Originally posted by Altezza

I'm not certain of the brand of the items purchased. I never asked and even if I did, I probably wouldn't remember - cooking ain't my thing, LOL. A large portion of the cost was to customize all the faces such that they appeared "camoflouged" with the kitchen cabinets.
    Yea that costs some dough. Thats why I'm keeping it stainless. Plus when I'm wasted I dont wanna spend all night looking for the fridge to get more beer out of.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast