Quantcast
got pricing on nos and zex kits from a few local shops, and have more questions - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: got pricing on nos and zex kits from a few local shops, and have more questions

Default got pricing on nos and zex kits from a few local shops, and have more questions

first shop i went to dealed mostly with domestics. the quoted $1079 for a nos(05123) kit and $967 for the zex kit. price seemed way too high. next i checked a local audio shop that i buy most my audio equipment from cause i know they would cut me a nice deal. they quoted me $1000 for the nos kit and $850 for the zex kit. that sounds better for the zex kit. they told me not much people get nos kits for imports so they have to go through 2 or 3 different places to get the kit and reason why its so expensive. the nos kit worth the extra money?

after doing lots of research on nitrous i found:
    www.i-club.com impreza owners have used both nos and zex dry kits and claim its pretty safe as long as you follow the rules and don't go nitrous happy spraying all the time.
    www.preludeonline.com same results as impreza owners. both kits pretty popular.
    www.superhonda.com little different from these guys. they claim zex kits blow engines period. most of them swear by nos dry/wet and nitrous express wet kits.

i also read on preludeonline that there were some reports of blown engines caused by zex kits in calgary. i'm intrested to know what shots they were using and what caused the engine to blow up ex. vacuum line blew off, nitrous solenoid stayed open, control box screwed up....etc.

i'm looking for any suggestions and opinions

My Ride
    335i

I think the general consensus is to spring for a NOS kit - however, if you do decide to do ZEX, check out Mopac - I remember they have kits in the $800 dollar range. You could also order it online for around 600 for either kit. Check ebay.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    SKYLINE GTR ,AE86, memories of a turbo 2000 lude

all i have to say is you get what you paid for.dont cheap out just think you might be saving 150 bucks now but how much does it cost for an engine?

My Ride
    NC1

IMO I don't know why your spending your money on nitrous, why not just save up more for a turbo?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Originally posted by max_boost
    IMO I don't know why your spending your money on nitrous, why not just save up more for a turbo?
    haha. thats fair. oh geez. the question of the day for me. how to explain.... hehe. i aready have a turbo, intercooler, engine that needs new pistons, 2.5" midpipe, 3" axleback exahust and most the coolant/oil fittings. if i wanted to go turbo i can probably get something running in 1-2 months. maybe a little longer cause i need to get up/down pipes and find someone to swap the bottom end out but who's counting . everyone is probably wondering why i don't go ahead and finish what i started.
    couple of reasons:
    1. i don't know if i'm going to keep the impreza for that long. i'm thinking of selling off what parts i have. thinking of doing a trade in maybe a few years
    2. i'm really trying to decide if its worth putting that large amount of money into a daily driven car. max_boost you should know this cause how much did you put into your lude?
    3. tuning, tuning, tuning. keeping a force induced car tuned isn't easy. i mean real engine management ex. extra injector kit, programable ecu or whatever. sure you can cut the corner on this one and put a POS RRFPR but thats just asking for a blown engine. IF and IF i can get my car was tuned 100% of the time than any sort of forced induction would be no problem. but really, there is going to be errors. with my tuning skillz yo, there's going to be lots of them. but i do think i can do a decent job. it would be so much easier if everything just worked together like in the game grandturismo

wanted to build a engine + turbo was cause my friend hok was running mid 13's in his RS. wanted to be like him. hehe.

i'm thinking about screwing the performance mods and just lower my car plus add a body kit to make it look pimp.

so... yeah. hehe. maybe i should just not do anything to my car and save my pennies *sign*

i've probably gotten way off topid but oh well. hehe. beyond rocks

My Ride
    2000 Toyota Celica GT

Why don't you look at the Nitrous Express kit... contact Greg at [email protected] tell him Jackie sent you and he'll hook you up with a great deal on it.... Two of the celicas in our club have this kit.... and are quite happy with it.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by 2000impreza

haha. thats fair. oh geez. the question of the day for me. how to explain.... hehe. i aready have a turbo, intercooler, engine that needs new pistons, 2.5" midpipe, 3" axleback exahust and most the coolant/oil fittings. if i wanted to go turbo i can probably get something running in 1-2 months. maybe a little longer cause i need to get up/down pipes and find someone to swap the bottom end out but who's counting . everyone is probably wondering why i don't go ahead and finish what i started.
    couple of reasons:
    1. i don't know if i'm going to keep the impreza for that long. i'm thinking of selling off what parts i have. thinking of doing a trade in maybe a few years
    2. i'm really trying to decide if its worth putting that large amount of money into a daily driven car. max_boost you should know this cause how much did you put into your lude?
    3. tuning, tuning, tuning. keeping a force induced car tuned isn't easy. i mean real engine management ex. extra injector kit, programable ecu or whatever. sure you can cut the corner on this one and put a POS RRFPR but thats just asking for a blown engine. IF and IF i can get my car was tuned 100% of the time than any sort of forced induction would be no problem. but really, there is going to be errors. with my tuning skillz yo, there's going to be lots of them. but i do think i can do a decent job. it would be so much easier if everything just worked together like in the game grandturismo

wanted to build a engine + turbo was cause my friend hok was running mid 13's in his RS. wanted to be like him. hehe.

i'm thinking about screwing the performance mods and just lower my car plus add a body kit to make it look pimp.

so... yeah. hehe. maybe i should just not do anything to my car and save my pennies *sign*

i've probably gotten way off topid but oh well. hehe. beyond rocks
    What the hell you talking about?!?!? haha j/k

Do whatever you feel is right
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Originally posted by max_boost

What the hell you talking about?!?!? haha j/k

Do whatever you feel is right
    i'm not thinking straight .

celica girl, thanks for the contact. i'll be sure to e-mail him.

My Ride
    2000 Toyota Celica GT

No problem... I hope he can get you what you want...

My Ride
    335i

Nitrous isn't always the method of choice when looking for extra power from your car, but it is effective and it is cheap. To build a good Turbo will cost so much more. If you are only looking for boost on demand, and know yourself that it won't be used much, then get the nitrous kit.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

And ,make sure you hide the fucker around where you are, as your cops sound like stalkers.
    Travel

This may be a little off topic but how does everyone feel about the reliablility of nitrous?

For me, I'm really starting to think that it is the most reliable form of mild FI. Think about it. You only boost when you want to. You have absolute control over it. Your car is completely stock (n/a) until you want the power. It is the ideal thing for a daily driver. It behaves like a stock car, has factory reliability, and you don't ever have to worry about it until you want to. I think that most people that blow their engines with nitrous just get too boost happy and go beyond the limits.

Just my 2 cents.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

thats true enough. i guess with any sort of forced induction how reliable it is depends on the user.

still thinking about nitrous

as much as i want turbo or SC i can't keep up with the maintenance. maybe in one or two years time i'll consider it. till then my turbo sits on the shelf :p