Quantcast
squealing?!? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: squealing?!?

Exclamation squealing?!?

Hi im gonna buy this 90 chevy cavalier z24 and in first gear, there is this squealing noise and u cant hear it in 2nd gear, i wanted to know if u guys have any idea what it could be? The guy said it was the belt in the motor that was loose, is that true? Please help i dont wanna get screwed!

Thx yall!

My Ride
    a wrx.

do this. pop your hood and rev the engine by pushing the throttle...then see if u can hear which belt it is..

and if u cant hear it and its only in 1st gear...then maybe your tranny is bustid

Exclamation

im gonna get a checkup , do u think the garage guy will tell me if its busted? Because when u put it in 2nd gear u dont hear anything, its the belt u can see when u lift the hood, the guy said its a little loose and thats why it does that, i dont have enough money to get a tranny fixed, besides that the car runs in perfect. This is my first car. Please help!

Thx everyone!

My Ride
    Godzilla.

Make sure the trany's good, very important...

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 06:47 PM.

My Ride
    2002 Audi TT

tell him you'll only buy it when its fixed.
    2 doors and 4 rings

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by kaput
    Be careful and don't rush into it. It took me 5 months and 4 inspections before I found my first car, and I'm hoping that I won't have to spend anything repairing it because of that.
    inspections are overrated...

my car passed everything...one month after i buy it....its spewing coolant everywhere...

My Ride
    '15 GTI

indeed, my car was "mechanically inspected" fuel pump failed several weeks after...im pretty sure most inspections by a mechanic is jsut them driving it and getting an impression

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 06:47 PM.

My Ride
    335i

The best place for a real inspection is at the dealers. I got mine done at Silverhill (at the sellers expense haha) and it passed. Almost 3 Years later and without a single problem *knock on wood*
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Brick Type R, SC AW11, Alcyone

I know a lot of the older GM cars had crappy trannys. My old pontiac's already gone through a tranny and torque converter. My friend who owns a cav z24 has already replaced his 5 spd twice. Another guy I know who has a corsica with the 3.1 engine and auto tranny is on his 3rd....

Just a word of caution.
    omgwtfbbq

My Ride
    Sfire GT and Daytona turbo

Originally posted by three.eighteen.
    indeed, my car was "mechanically inspected" fuel pump failed several weeks after...im pretty sure most inspections by a mechanic is jsut them driving it and getting an impression
    How is an inspection going to tell you if the fuel pump will die?

A vehicle inspection is the usuals, Lights, brakes, fluid levels/conditions, suspension (tie rods, balljoints). But stuff like a fuel pump, headgasket, alternator, waterpump or any other component that can fail with little or no notice cant really be checked. Anyone could look at it and say "yeah that thing is shiny", but to know if it will fail or not in the next 2 weeks or 2 years would be better left to JoJo's pshycic alliance. Even a dealer wont be able to tell
    Scott
    CFB Esquimalt/HMCS Protecteur

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Scott

A vehicle inspection is the usuals, Lights, brakes, fluid levels/conditions, suspension (tie rods, balljoints). But stuff like a fuel pump, headgasket, alternator, waterpump or any other component that can fail with little or no notice cant really be checked. Anyone could look at it and say "yeah that thing is shiny", but to know if it will fail or not in the next 2 weeks or 2 years would be better left to JoJo's pshycic alliance. Even a dealer wont be able to tell
    uh yea, thats the point nick was trying to make

My Ride
    Rx7

Originally posted by Scott

Alts generally dont just shit out on you. They continually lose their charge until they are draining the battery. A simple test w/ a dmm while the car is running will show it.

My Ride
    Sfire GT and Daytona turbo

Originally posted by drox
    Alts generally dont just shit out on you. They continually lose their charge until they are draining the battery. A simple test w/ a dmm while the car is running will show it.
    Ha, then you have never owned a Dodge 2.2 turbo
    Scott
    CFB Esquimalt/HMCS Protecteur

My Ride
    Rx7

Turbo dodges are an exception dude... for the price of a normal car you can probably buy 20

My Ride
    '15 GTI

unless youre in a tight financial situation i would say stay away from aged j-bodies

My Ride
    '07 Ranger FX4 Level II

there is one good thing about owing a onler jbody.. tons of them at pick your part
    Originally posted by rage2

Just because you're older... doesn't mean you need older women. Nothing wrong with an 18 year old here and there!