Quantcast
Basement Development - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Basement Development

My Ride

Default Basement Development

I'm in the process of getting my basement developed, or have been for almost half a year now. The main problem I have is finding people who know what they are doing that will take on a job like this. The biggest challenge is most tradesmen dont seem to think developing a basement is big enough of a job to be worth their time. And the people who I can find who want this job seem like they would be learning as they go along.

If anyone knows of reliable people that develop basements or whould do this kind of work, I'd appriciate some suggestions. So far all the plumming and framing is done, so I'm looking for electrical work and drywall and jobs that come after that.

A little off topic but do you know how much it has costed for everything up to this point? If you dont mind me asking.

If the plumbing and framing is all done, then the hardest part is finished. Electrical is fairly easy and drywall is simple to do. Have you ever though about doing it yourself over time? All you would need is drywall delivered and someone else to help you lift the panels.

There are numerous books for DIY's and even home depot has classes. Saves you a bundle of money also.

My Ride

Im not too sure about the cost, my Dad is pretty much running everything in that department. Its just recently he is too busy with his own work to find tradesmen who will do a basement job so I'm trying to take over to get this done before summer. Im not sure about the framing , but I think the plumming was about $7000 - 8000 for two full bathrooms (includes cutting up concrete to lay piping and the fixtures and labour etc).

We did have an estimate done from a contracter who would subcontract out all the different jobs but he wanted around $100,000 for the entire job so my Dad decided to do it himself.

My Ride

Originally posted by BlackArcher101
    If the plumbing and framing is all done, then the hardest part is finished. Electrical is fairly easy and drywall is simple to do. Have you ever though about doing it yourself over time? All you would need is drywall delivered and someone else to help you lift the panels.

There are numerous books for DIY's and even home depot has classes. Saves you a bundle of money also.
    I thought about that but since this is now my project it would be entirely up to me. Im a full time student at U of C and I work about 24 hours a week so getting the basement developed would take a few years with the amount of free time I have.

^ Haha 100k
    Maybe if you have a 3000 square foot basement. lol

Consider adding a subfloor to your basement. Makes a difference particularly if you don't have slab heating.

http://www.dricore.com/en/eindex.htm

Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
    Consider adding a subfloor to your basement. Makes a difference particularly if you don't have slab heating.

http://www.dricore.com/en/eindex.htm
    How is that compared to a heated floor?

Originally posted by Skylinelover

How is that compared to a heated floor?
    It's an insulating layer between the concrete and the carpet so it doesn't feel as cold

Nothing beats a heated floor, but it's very expensive to retrofit after the foundation of house has been poured. Electric heated floors are another retrofit option if you can afford the power bill.

How many square feet is the basement?

AND

How high is the ceiling? 8 ft, 9 ft, etc.?

Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

It's an insulating layer between the concrete and the carpet so it doesn't feel as cold

Nothing beats a heated floor, but it's very expensive to retrofit after the foundation of house has been poured. Electric heated floors are another retrofit option if you can afford the power bill.
    Hmm. When I develope my basement that sounds like a good idea.

My Ride
    GAR CON!!!!!!!

My dad might do it.. pm me how big the room is and what stuff has to be done still.

He used to be a carpenter in the old sk00l days... now he just does small jobs like a couple times a year.

My Ride

Originally posted by Skylinelover
    ^ Haha 100k
    Maybe if you have a 3000 square foot basement. lol
    We actually do have a very large walk out basement (not sure of the specific size). It consists of 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms , workout room, hot tub/sauna room, game room and a home theatre room. Its for a house out in Springbank so $100 K for doing the basement is some what accurate, relative to the cost of the house. Theres no point in developing a basement for our house if we do a cheaper job because it wont look good with the rest of the house.

My Ride

Thanks to the rest of you for tips/ideas.
    Here is some other info I got from my Dad about the basement

The ceiling is 9 feet and some inches high
    The flooring is set up for the floors to be heated already
    The basement is about 2500 sq feet.

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

Try Ultimate Renovations. This type of work is their area of expertise and they're supposedly one of the most reputable contractors for this type of work.

My Ride
    argetni

Default Re: Basement Development

Originally posted by Khali
    I'm in the process of getting my basement developed, or have been for almost half a year now. The main problem I have is finding people who know what they are doing that will take on a job like this. The biggest challenge is most tradesmen dont seem to think developing a basement is big enough of a job to be worth their time. And the people who I can find who want this job seem like they would be learning as they go along.

If anyone knows of reliable people that develop basements or whould do this kind of work, I'd appriciate some suggestions. So far all the plumming and framing is done, so I'm looking for electrical work and drywall and jobs that come after that.

MY dad does basement developments... he has finished maybe more than 5 houses and i dont know i will mention it to him if your interested.. he does it after his work so its his part time job thing. but anyways i dont think he is working on a job right now last time i heard he had 2 houses to do before chrsitmas i dont know but if you still need someone i can talk to my dad or something....

My Ride
    GAR CON!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Khali

The basement is about 2500 sq feet.
    Yea.. thats a little too big. my dad just does like small basements and shit not like ones as big as my house ahahah..

My Ride
    Dakota

Pm'd