Quantcast
Jetsgo does a little "grass-cutting" at YYC.. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Jetsgo does a little "grass-cutting" at YYC..

My Ride
    2002 SVT Focus

Exclamation Jetsgo does a little "grass-cutting" at YYC..

This happened on Thursday 20 Jan .

Anyone work this flight ?? How bad was the damage ??

NATIONAL POST
    01/25/2005

Federal investigators are trying to determine why a Jetsgo flight with 78 passengers aboard suddenly veered off the runway at Calgary airport last week, trundled along the grass verge, then took off again from the turf.

As it tore 1,600 feet along the frozen ground, the McDonnell Douglas MD83 ran over a sign, apparently damaging flaps, landing gear doors and hydraulics, according to an official report on the incident.

The incident began just before 8 p.m. Calgary time last Thursday, as Flight 191 from Toronto touched down on Runway 34, according to a report on Transport Canada's Civil Aviation Daily Occurrence Reporting System (CADORS), obtained by the National Post.

Crew members reported they felt the aircraft start to slide off the runway, so elected to do a missed approach, meaning they would lift off and try another landing, said the report. The crew told the control tower they had to get back to ground as soon as possible because of what they called a "fuel emergency."
    The plane landed safely again at 8:10 p.m., with no injuries reported.
    Last edited by fast95pony; 01-26-2005 at 09:06 AM.
    11 F-150 Supercrew FX4 5.0

My Ride
    MB C63

so it took off regardless of all the damage caused?
    jetsgo is really going down the drain
    i have a flight december 21...delayed it 10 hours spent the whole day at the airport cuz they didnt even know what was going on.

My Ride
    2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350

Maybe is slid or something on the frozen ground? But I can't believe they still took off after all the damage!

My Ride
    2002 SVT Focus

Sorry , I cut off too much of the article (now edited better..) .
    The flight was landing,veered off the runway,and conducted a missed approach .
    Last edited by fast95pony; 01-25-2005 at 11:32 PM.

My Ride
    Impreza

ahhh flying, the illusion of safety.

My Ride
    purple people eater

Originally posted by sync
    ahhh flying, the illusion of safety.
    sorry guy but flying is far, far, far safer then driving. I suppose most of the image it has as being unsafe comes from either the complete lack of control passengers have (I dunno about you but not being able to prevent an accident or escape or something makes me uneasy) or the tendency for everybody on the plane to die when it crashes. but maybe two planes crash per year out of millions of flights, while thousands and thousands of people are killed in motor vehicle accidents every year.
    a lot of this has to do with the media - a plane crash will get international exposure, while a car crash will get local, maybe provincial coverage.

My Ride
    L-Tuned

Phew, glad I never fly Jetsgo!

Originally posted by djayz
    so it took off regardless of all the damage caused?
    jetsgo is really going down the drain
    i have a flight december 21...delayed it 10 hours spent the whole day at the airport cuz they didnt even know what was going on.
    Yeah i've probably been on about 5 or 6 jetsgo flights and only one has left on time. The others all 1-4 hrs delayed.

My Ride
    bmw m3

Shit man scarey shit . I think the worse would be just landing in the middle of the ocean.

Flying makes me uncomfortable cause i cant control it.

AFAIK CFRYH is still there awaiting or recieving repair. Funny how it took the press 4 days to catch this one.

From what I've heard:
    - wx was 1/2sm in fog, 400 overcast, 1400ft rvr
    - runway was reported as bare and dry, but the wind was out of the east and the aircraft slid off to the west...
    - intial reports had the plane landing half on/half off the runway as it seemed the crew thought there was runway centerline lights, tore through the grass/snow, took out the RW25 hold short sign and proceeded into the missed approach, although apparently there are skidmarks trailing off the edge of 34 and then parralleling it for some 1600ft or so before they became airborn again at/past 25.
    - the fuel emergency was declared so as to give them priority sequencing as there were several other aircraft waiting to land.

Thankfully no one was injured.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

For those naive to think this happened just because it's "jetsgo" are fooling themeselves. All airlines follow all the same exact procedures and have to obey all the same guidelines. Could have happened to any airline. This time around it just happened to happen to one most people dislike. The Pilots flying these aircraft are I'm sure just as good as any other airline. They all have their good and bad days.
    Travel

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by Ben
    For those naive to think this happened just because it's "jetsgo" are fooling themeselves. All airlines follow all the same exact procedures and have to obey all the same guidelines. Could have happened to any airline. This time around it just happened to happen to one most people dislike. The Pilots flying these aircraft are I'm sure just as good as any other airline. They all have their good and bad days.
    yes and no.

All airlines have to follow the same guidlines, but don't kid yourself into believing they all follow them equally. Many cut corners. History shows us that it is typically the smaller start up airlines like Jetsgo that cut corners on everything from safety to the crappy food (or sometimes lack there of).

That is not to say that Large airlines do not fall in the same category (United being one that comes to mind).

My Ride
    94' Terd

I personally didn't see the damage, but our company brought the flight in. Some guys said that the underside of the wing between the #2 engine and the fusalage was quite badly damaged. They took out a sign that pretty much destroyed the rear flaps and dented up the plane pretty bad. The thing that I don't understand is that the pilots even though the landing gear hydraulics had been damaged, retracted it once they bounce off the "runway". If the hydraulics had been damaged bad enough they wouldn't have been able to lower the main gear again, forcing them to land on the belly of the plane. Pretty amatuer move if you ask me.

To to give you and idea of how retarded Jetsgo is. They let the pilots (with no passengers of course) fly the plane to Winnepeg on Sunday without any repairs being done. It was being refueled and serviced in Winnepeg then flown to Toronto to be repaired.

From what I heard the plane didn't even touch the runway on the first landing attempt. It landed off to the side of the runway in the grass, hit the sign and bounced back into the air. Pretty fucking sketchy if you ask me.
    Last edited by DUBBED; 01-26-2005 at 10:49 AM.

Boo with Jestsgo, made my 3 hour lay-over in T.O turn into a 7 hr lay-over. Plus the fuckers kept switching our departure gates (4 times) because their heads were lodged in their asses..

Jetsgo

Originally posted by benyl

yes and no.

All airlines have to follow the same guidlines, but don't kid yourself into believing they all follow them equally. Many cut corners. History shows us that it is typically the smaller start up airlines like Jetsgo that cut corners on everything from safety to the crappy food (or sometimes lack there of).

That is not to say that Large airlines do not fall in the same category (United being one that comes to mind).
    This isn't the first incident for JetsGo. They seem to be inching ever closer to disaster.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

ecstasy_civic is offline MMA guru, but still rage2's bitch
    My Ride
    08 Si

Well, as Dubbed said, it was our company that brought the plane in, I was there the next morning.
    It did not travel until 3 days after the incident.
    My dad is also the captain @ the airport firehall who followed the plane down the runway after the second landing attempt. so I got his side of it too.

I work the Jetsgo flights everyday and yes they have a HORRIBLE track record for being on time, and they do take short cuts. That plane RYH did leave without having the repairs fixed, there were some things that needed to be addressed before take off, but maitenence seemed to think it was worthy of the trip, the few parts that were replaced here made it "safe" but.......... regardless it fairied out and made it safe, that same plane is coming back to YYC tommorow afternoon I believe.

The funny thing was, I had breakfast with the Jetsgo supervisor the other morning and a reporter/media person was on the arrivals level asking what happend with the emergency landing, apparently he heard it on a scanner? and out of ALL the people who were either on the flight or worked the flight, had no idea whatsoever what had gone on.
    Some passengers even said they just thought it was a rough landing which I find hard to believe

Personally I dont like jetsgo, they are old planes that constantly need maitnence and with there new schedules I really see it hard to make any money when you have between 5-10 people on a 160 passanger plane

Ive got tons of Jetsgo stories if someone wants to compare

Stupid airline, I flew with them once, felt unsafe both ways, never again, Westjet all the way. Maybe being an aircraft mechanic has something to do with it, either way, they suck.
    And why is every flight attendant french btw?