Quantcast
3 series in snow - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 series in snow

My Ride
    1999 328is

Default 3 series in snow

What are they like? I've heard conflicting reports from various people. Some say they are amazing in snow due to their weight distribution and traction control and some say they are just brutal.

Opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to say E36 3 series, and would like to know especially about 2 door coupes.
    Last edited by g-mcstud; 01-26-2005 at 04:58 PM.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Default Re: 3 series in snow

Originally posted by g-mcstud
    What are they like? I've heard conflicting reports from various people. Some say they are amazing in snow due to their weight distribution and traction control and some say they are just brutal.

Opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    yes ! they are amazing on snow ! ( late model, with DSC/ASC plus snow tires )

One of my my friend, he has a 2002 A4 and 2002 325i .. A4 with all-season and 325 with snow tires now .. he end up like the 325 more on snow .. and rather drove it in the past few weeks !

For last 10 years + I never got problem with 3 series on snow. ( I am from EDMONTON )
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    4Runner Trail Edition

You're going to get a mixed bag of answers.
    I dont have traction control on my 3 series but winter tires are a definate must.
    They rock with winter tires on.

I've had an '01 330Ci and I have a '98 328is right now. Both were winter driven.

They're AMAZING in the snow. With good winter tires and the proper driving attitude they are great to drive. I regularily pass SUV's and trucks uphill.

Traction control can be a bit intrusive at times and you do need to turn it off occasionally when on deep snow or very slick ice to get going from a stop.

Anyone who says they're not good in the snow isn't running the proper tires.

Sam's 330ci has traction control and winters and its amazing! Much better than any AWD/FWD I've driven.

He also had a 323i with TC and winter tires and same results.
    Originally posted by ashee
    What's 30 grand when you're buying a BMW, M6 please.

Originally posted by t-im

You sound like the type of guy who would buy a C-Class just so you could tell people you have a Benz.
    Oooh the irony.

Originally posted by bol
    I've had an '01 330Ci and I have a '98 328is right now. Both were winter driven.

They're AMAZING in the snow. With good winter tires and the proper driving attitude they are great to drive. I regularily pass SUV's and trucks uphill.

Traction control can be a bit intrusive at times and you do need to turn it off occasionally when on deep snow or very slick ice to get going from a stop.

Anyone who says they're not good in the snow isn't running the proper tires.
    Totally agree, good driving attitude is key. I do not have traction control, but LSD, with Michelin Pilot alpins 225/45/17. I have even better performance with 205/60/15 winters but they are good either way. Narrower the better.

My Ride
    Germanrific - 1/4/5/6/A/C/E/R

I don't have traction control on my bmw and it handles fine with good winter tires and sandbags in the trunk

in e46, it's even easier with asc+dsc

My Ride
    is wild

Non traction controlled, non LSD E36 on all seasons and never an issue in the winter and I live in the 'country'. Calgary doesn't get enough snow during the winter to warrant 'snow' tires, perhaps if your going alot of highway winter driving.

E36's are amazing handling cars, very balanced. Pitch the car sideways and hit the brakes, it straightens right up. This chassis would make an awesome drifting car.

Reasons why Drumheller area wouldn't make a good race track venue...

Originally posted by Agera_56
    My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy).

My Ride
    E90 M3

E36 with traction control here, and I must say they really DO rock. A few friends of mine couldn't make it up a hill with FWD, I had no problem. However, the ASC light was on constantly. And I have winter tires.

My Ride
    1999 328is

Originally posted by m10-power
    Calgary doesn't get enough snow during the winter to warrant 'snow' tires,

so you're one of them

Originally posted by g-mcstud

so you're one of them
    g-mcstud, my thoughts EXACTLY!!!

how can having ice and snow on the roads NOT warrant winter tires Does your life mean NOTHING to you? I drive a 2001 330Ci with new winters and asc and it is great, BUT it still should have winter tires just to provide extra acceleration in times of need, or better traction for braking, HOW IS THAT AN OPTION?

i love the winter! i have no asc+t just winter tires and a few sandbags. i have no problems what so ever.

My Ride
    03' Audi A4 Quattro

I drove a 95 318i for a couple winters and didn't have a problem at all. Considering the car isn't too fast, I didn't have any trouble on icy days. I just had All Season tires and a sandbag in the trunk. RWD isn't that bad as long as you're not a dumbass driver.

My Ride
    is wild

Originally posted by Clockwork

g-mcstud, my thoughts EXACTLY!!!

how can having ice and snow on the roads NOT warrant winter tires Does your life mean NOTHING to you? I drive a 2001 330Ci with new winters and asc and it is great, BUT it still should have winter tires just to provide extra acceleration in times of need, or better traction for braking, HOW IS THAT AN OPTION?

One of them what, people who know how to drive?

Snow tires are great, but certainly not required.

Originally posted by m10-power

One of them what, people who know how to drive?

Snow tires are great, but certainly not required.
    You said you used all seasons right?

I know on my summer tires I wouldn't be able to make it up the hill to my house so for me winter tires are a must. I'm not willing to sacrifice performance with all seasons.

My Ride
    04 jdm gdb

I have 01 325i with NO winter wires, just all seasons. Been driving it all winter and had no problems. Never been stuck or anything. It was brutal at first wen i didnt know how it would drive then I put sand bags in the trunk and its not so bad. I havent had a problem Once I got a feel of how the car handles in the ice/snow. Although, it does get a bit sketchy going around corners, just have to take it extra slow.

My Ride
    NC1

Snow tires are a must IMO, just because I'm always on the road, whether it's doing deliveries, or just cruising out and about.

Not much to talk about, one set of tires for summer, one for winter, you don't have to get new tires for years. Really affordable if you ask me.

I've never driven with the stock summers on my 330 in the snow, if I did, I bet it wouldn't get me anywhere.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Originally posted by max_boost
    Snow tires are a must IMO, just because I'm always on the road, whether it's doing deliveries, or just cruising out and about.

Not much to talk about, one set of tires for summer, one for winter, you don't have to get new tires for years. Really affordable if you ask me.

I've never driven with the stock summers on my 330 in the snow, if I did, I bet it wouldn't get me anywhere.
    agreed my mom has a 330ci with snowtires and it out performed my x5 in snow!

My Ride
    is wild

Well one would expect summer tires to be of no use in the snow...which they are.

I have one set of summer wheels and one set of the other seasons wheels.

The problem with snow/ice tires is they wear out very quickly on dry roads, where as the all seasons I run, conti extreme contact, actually handle very well in the dry yet are no problem in the snow. Again Calgary doesn't get enough snow to be an issue.

I have experienced snow/ice with winter, summer and all season tires. Summer tires, youll be lucky to get out of the driveway. As for all seasons, they are adequate if you arent driving like a jack ass and realise and test you grip levels and winters are ultimate for acceleration and braking confidence. I agree that Calgary doesnt get enough snow to really need dedicated winters but all seasons are a must.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast