Quantcast
Failing to stop for a pedestrian - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Failing to stop for a pedestrian

My Ride
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Needs a new ride)

Default Failing to stop for a pedestrian

I was walking downtown one day and I was getting ready to cross the street. The light said "walk" so I proceeded out into the crosswalk. There was an unmarked police car approaching to turn right onto a one way. I made eye contact with the officer (and he had to have seen me as i was already in the crosswalk)...and next thing I know...he starts turning. I immediately jumped back, and barely missed the vehicle...I'm talking inches. I fell back onto my ass, completely stunned. He continued on without stopping to see if I was alright or hurt. Luckily, some other people did. He did not have a signal on to turn right, nor did he have any siren on to indicate that there was an emergency. He was clearly in no hurry. Since it was an unmarked car, there were no numbers on it, like the normal cars....and it was pretty tough to get the plate, especially when I was down and out. I am absolutely outraged at the stupidity of the officer. A cop, of all people. They enforce the laws, but then they don't even abide by them. Unacceptable. Should I pursue issuing a complaint....or am I worthless without the fact that I don't have any identification of the car, other than that it was an unmarked crown victoria, white in color? Don't they have GPS units in the cars? and it must be easy to see who was driving a ghost car since there are so few. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Was there any witnesses that got any information? If not, I'd say your chances are pretty slim of getting anything done about it. I'd probably still file a complaint to CPS just to make them aware of it.
    Success is the ultimate revenge.

Police officers are stupid..he oughta be fined 500 dollars for something like that. They just act like they're so cool cause they think they run the whole city so they can break all the rules like speeding, not stopping at stop signs, etc when its not even an emergency.

My Ride
    '05 Toyota Tacoma

Officers make mistakes, just like everyone else.

Knowing the date, place and time, you should be able to make a complaint and expect that someone should be able to be identified. After all, there are only so many unmarked cars of that make and colour out on the streets at any given time.
    Have you ever met anyone who would admit to being less than a better than average driver?

Search Behind the Wheel at http://www.drivesmartbc.ca

too bad you don't have the license if you did, i'd say do everything you can to get that bastard in trouble.

I doubt this was a simple "mistake", people do this shit all the time....
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    something green

Even if you had the licence plate, the car number and the officers name, the would deny it happened and come up with some airy fairy story why it couldn't have happened and it wasn't the officer in quesions fault, rememer the officer on 22x that was pissed out of his mind and killed two teens, well it was his faulty brakes not the alcohol.. The blue wall of silence is pretty thick at the CPS....Next time get hit, then you have evidence they cant deny...Maxt
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

You should asked for some of the witness's numbers!

My Ride
    '05 Toyota Tacoma

What, you never make a mistake gatorade? ALL your traffic violations are done deliberately??
    Have you ever met anyone who would admit to being less than a better than average driver?

My Ride
    Prelude aka red rice, Lincoln Aviator

Originally posted by skidmark
    What, you never make a mistake gatorade? ALL your traffic violations are done deliberately??

Everybody makes mistakes... but explaining to an officer that it was an honest mistake has never saved me from a ticket… In fact, I once forgot to put my registration and insurance back in my car after taking it out to phone my insurance company, and thanks to a very understanding officer, I’m out an extra $350. And in this case the cop made eye contact with him, so I think he was aware of his actions.

I’m not trying to sh!t on cops here, just putting things in perspective.

My Ride
    335i

I thought cops were exempt from traffic laws while on duty?
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    '05 Toyota Tacoma

They can be, but only if duty related and done in a manner that doesn't endanger others.

My problem with gatorade's post is that he implies that the officer deliberately tried to run the pedestrian down, or at least that's how I read it.

I'm not saying that the officer doesn't need to be dealt with for doing it, I'm just saying that I find it difficult to believe that he did it on purpose.

Skidmark: not all cops are bad, but not all cops are good either, Im sure you'll agree with that. Their are plenty of cops who think they are better than everyone else, who show muscle to get what they want, and who think the rules dont apply to them.

My Ride
    Prelude aka red rice, Lincoln Aviator

Originally posted by skidmark

I'm not saying that the officer doesn't need to be dealt with for doing it, I'm just saying that I find it difficult to believe that he did it on purpose.
    Yeah, you're probably right, but I don't imagine he pulled over and gave himself a ticket for it... every job has perks...