Quantcast
87 4runner inside air fan problems - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 87 4runner inside air fan problems

My Ride
    89 240sx

Default 87 4runner inside air fan problems

i have a 1987 toyota 4runner EFI SR5. yesterday when i was driving it the inside air would not work. neither heat or a/c would work. sudenly when i was driving the fan kicked in for about 3 min then shut off and it has not worked since. kinda hard to drive in this weather with no defrost on the front window. and sugestions would be appreciated.

i also thought maybe it could be a short since i have had my dash lights short before but they have not shorted in about 2 years. i am not sure if it is a short but is there a way to check if it is a short?

Thanks,
    Brett Alcorn

I had the same problem in my old 90 Corolla AE92. It turned out to be the fan. I first replaced the switch but the fan still wouldn't kick in when I wanted it to but did intermitantly. So I replaced the fan unit and everything seemed to have been alright.

The fan unit is usually located under the passenger's side glove box. Yank the unit out - 2 or 4 screws with a plug for power. Anyways take it out and maybe head down to the wreckers and see if you can find the same unit from some other Toyota's. The one from the 86 Celica actually fit my car as well. Good Luck

My Ride
    89 240sx

Default thank you

thanks, i have just been to lazy to take it out . hoping some majic will work and fix it. so far not so good. i think i will yank it out in a few min though. any idea how much the fan unit would cost new? i hate using used parts.

i can't remember, sorry. I'm assuming about $100 but like I said, this is just a guess. I think at the wreckers it was like $15 bucks or something like that. But yeah check it out though.

oh yeah try calling Canadian Tire and Part Source.....cuz the 4Runner is a little older now CT and PS will carry aftermarket fan assembly's so you can save a few bucks that way too.

My Ride
    89 240sx

alright so i took out the the fan motor headed over to napa they tested it for me and it is still good and running.

i proceeded to take the dash apart to get to the back of the switch. (what a task entire dash had to be taken out) after playing with the switch i concluded it was in working order and i decided it was the blower motor relay that i need to replace.

so off to the dealership come monday to get ripped off.

thanks for the help though. i still wish it was the blower motor. easy change!

lol yeah no kidding. interesting that it was the relay, but i'm glad it's sorted out now. hopefully everything goes accordingly