Quantcast
Turbo Discussions (split from Beyond Dyno Day in Spring 2003) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Discussions (split from Beyond Dyno Day in Spring 2003)

My Ride
    Probe

Hey , quick question... How do you prevent your self from detonating while on the Dyno ... anything hooked up to help predict it coming ?
    Just because I want to find my highest boost level and what not, so how would I go finding that with out blowing my engine ?

My Ride
    2008 Z06

just get premium, add octane boost, and retard your timing
    Current Cars:
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Stage 2, 12.44 at 110mph
    1972 Chevy Super Cheyenne C10 Pickup 402 big block, 700R4
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile, moneypit
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST | Cobb Stage 1, catless downpipe
    2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
    2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108mph
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

octane booster's a scam.
    use racegas.
    But then you won't know what your detonation level is.
    The only way to see is to guess and check.

My Ride
    a wrx.

steal some toluene from the lab..

My Ride
    22 ZR2, 06 YZ250, 77 KZ1000 supercharged

Originally posted by ConVict
    Hey , quick question... How do you prevent your self from detonating while on the Dyno ... anything hooked up to help predict it coming ?
    Just because I want to find my highest boost level and what not, so how would I go finding that with out blowing my engine ?
    1st step is to jump into reality and realize you will never be able to get near 30PSI with you new engine!

2nd step is to jump into reality and realize you will never be able to get near 30PSI with you new engine!

3rd step is with the questions I have seen you ask is hire a mechanic to do your swap, because you have no clue about cars!

My Ride
    Rx7

30PSI on a dsm transmission is not a good idea. After 1 run on that if you shook the tranny, you would hear things moving around

My Ride
    Probe

DSM transmission ? my transmission is mazda !
    I wont bench talk but we will see how many psi I can get... Just because your Sr20det cant push that much doesnt mean a completly different engine with different compression ratios wont be able too ...

My Ride
    Rx7

Er never saw that you had a probe lmfao. I thought you had a talon I still dont see you being able to put 30psi to the ground (thats a fuck load of power).

My Ride

DSM transmission ? my transmission is mazda !
    I wont bench talk but we will see how many psi I can get... Just because your Sr20det cant push that much doesnt mean a completly different engine with different compression ratios wont be able too ...
    What does compression have to do with it? Most turbo engines are 8(ish):1 compression, I does not differ much from brands. 30 PSI is just tonnes of pressure I don't think you understand what your talking about. To push that much air is stupid, because if you need to push 30PSI your turbo is wayyyyy toooooo small. The engine is still a 4cyl, head flow is a concern at those pressures. Let's take a supraT for example, I have seen some big PSI numbers but generally you don't see 30PSI, why? Because the bottom line is it's not efficient, you can get a bigger turbo and push less PSI and make more power.

Curiosity, when will this swap be complete?

My Ride
    Rx7

Thats right. It doesnt matter what pressure you are at. When looking at turbos its best to look at the cfm rating, among a few other thigns.

My Ride
    Probe

Besides the fact this is getting the thread off topic, I have a rather small turbo that is vary capable to hit 30 psi... It is my goal to TRY and hit 30 psi because I know of a fellow friend who hit 26psi on the same motor... And I will admit when it comes to F/I I sure dont know it well enough to throw my own projects together but I am trying to learn.. I know engines well enough, just not the technical stuff when it comes to Turbo's
    The completion day is hard to tell... Most of my work is done by a friend who does it in his spare time when he isnt busy.. Money issues at the moment... Parts need to be shipped...
    so with a combination of all of those its hard to say when it will be done... Sorry

My Ride
    a wrx.

uh, i think you need to do some more research about turbos, convict.

My Ride
    Rx7

Hell my stock mazda turbo could hit 30psi. But it starts making so much heat past 18 its not worth it at all. I wouldnt count on a small turbo going that high w/o causing problems.

i dont think the turbo's gonna make it to 30psi even if your motor does.
    and if your turbo's too small, you'll have no top end power.

the turbo won't be able to push the cfm's at 30psi to make the power your hoping for..... this assumes it can even go up to 30psi...

My Ride
    You Crazy

Holy crap, I go away for 2 days, and BOOM

Quick summary. Yes, we can "predict" detonation before it happens bad enough to hurt anything. The question is can you get your foot off the gas fast enough

Boost. Boost has nothing to do with power. Boost is just a measure of the restirction your engine poses to airflow.

Ever wonder why one 4 cylinder can make 200hp with 20 psi, but another only takes 8 psi? Because boost has nothing to do with power

Thats how you chose a turbo. You need to roughly know your engines airflow potential, and the power you want to make, then you need to figure out how much AIR MASS (lb per minute) of airflow you need to make the power you want, and how much "boost" that will result in ON YOUR MOTOR, then you pick a turbo that will move that air MASS at that boost (pressure ratio). Soooo, what all this means is, a turbo meant to move 30 lb /min air at a pressure ratio of 2.5:1, can be just as efficient as a turbo meant to move 30 lb/min at a pressure ratio of 1.8:1

It is nothing for "inefficient" 4 cylinder motors to require 18 to 20 psi to make 200hp, and its also nothing for a good efficient, 4 valve per cylinder motor to make the same power at 12 psi, with less displacement no less. These 2 motors woud require 2 different turbos to reach their goals as efficiently as possible. Both turbos in the end would be moving the same MASS of air (all that really counts), one motor would jsut need more boost to jam the same airflow through....

OK, its late, and this may have been more confusing then helpfull

Toma

My Ride
    You Crazy

Guess I should have asked what turbo you had

Toma

Originally posted by Toma
    Guess I should have asked what turbo you had

Toma
    does it matter?? The man's gonna have a 600hp car boosting at 30psi!!! Minute Muffler knows what they're doing!

My Ride
    Probe

What ever gadgetboy... i love pricks like you that think because they got something snappy to say they are cool...
    Toma thanks for the technical turbo talk.. I didnt quite get the ratios you were saying but I understand now that PSI doesnt mean power! SO I learnt SOMETHING hehe
    And earlier hollywood when I said it would clog your exhaust I meant in the long run from carbon deposits and stuff... I may be wrong but flames going in your exhaust does leave deposits does it not ?
    One thing I dont get is, if a small turbo is spinning really fast, and a big one is spinning slow... but displacing the same amount of air woudnt that create the same amout of pounds per square inch of air ?

My Ride

... Just because your Sr20det cant push that much doesnt mean a completly different engine with different compression ratios wont be able too ...
    SR20DET's don't need to push 30 PSI to make power. It's easily done at much lower PSI.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast