Quantcast
Who cares about high school? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Who cares about high school?

My Ride
    a wrx.

Default Who cares about high school?

C'mon guys, high school, especially graduating from it, is not a big deal. EVERYONE gets through it, so graduating is not a big accomplishment at all. I mean, look at all the jokers on beyond that are highschoolers. It doesn't do a thing to get you ahead in life, it doesn't get you jobs, and it doesn't make you smarter than anyone else, since everyone else did it too.

I don't get why some people think high school diploma exams are such a big deal, why they'd study hours and hours at it just for a couple extra percent? Or the people that actually bother to frame their high school diplomas or even bother keeping it? Haha can someone explain this to me?

I agree its not a big deal... and yet high school was one of the best times of my life. School was easy, the girls were plentiful, and 17th Ave for drinking at lunch hour (western).
    I sure do miss it now that im in university.

My Ride
    the bandwagon!

it can be a big deal! look at it this way, if you dont' have good marks in highschool how do you expect to get into university!

and if you don't have exceptional marks how do you get into the faculty that you want?

High school if VERY important! and when you say it doesn't make you smarter than anyone else! your very wrong! sure everyone graduates for the most part! but who gets better jobs down the road! the people with better work ethics and brains or the pot heads and skaters that didn't do dick all to pass grade 12.

If i compare myself to other highschool students, i can say im better off down the road from those other graduates because i cared about my future and not cared how drunk i was at the last highschool party!

My Ride
    Highlander

Originally posted by 7thgenvic
    it can be a big deal! look at it this way, if you dont' have good marks in highschool how do you expect to get into university!

and if you don't have exceptional marks how do you get into the faculty that you want?

High school if VERY important! and when you say it doesn't make you smarter than anyone else! your very wrong! sure everyone graduates for the most part! but who gets better jobs down the road! the people with better work ethics and brains or the pot heads and skaters that didn't do dick all to pass grade 12.

If i compare myself to other highschool students, i can say im better off down the road from those other graduates because i cared about my future and not cared how drunk i was at the last highschool party!
    100% It's not a huge deal where you graduated or anything, but high school is important. Not only for setting the groundwork for your future (in most people's cases) with university, jobs, ect. but it also teaches you alot about life, work ethic, dealing with stressful situations, having to make tough decisions, peer pressure, ect ect ect. You get the point I agree with you 100%

My Ride
    Ram

also, high school is where u learn the basic essentials for each course before u go in greater detail in post secondary institutions

My Ride
    the bandwagon!

Originally posted by Melinda

100% It's not a huge deal where you graduated or anything, but high school is important. Not only for setting the groundwork for your future (in most people's cases) with university, jobs, ect. but it also teaches you alot about life, work ethic, dealing with stressful situations, having to make tough decisions, peer pressure, ect ect ect. You get the point I agree with you 100%
    smart girl!
    the other point that i wanted to bring up was that! When i look back at highschool now and some of the people who didn't give a rats ass about school, they are the ones still smoking pot and doing nothing with their lives!
    and sure there are the exceptions that do get away from that, and make something of themselves.

But out of all the people on this site< how many of you know individuals who back in highschool didn't care, didn't do well, partied, who are now successful people and are going somewhere with their lives?

My Ride
    Model S

But out of all the people on this site&lt; how many of you know individuals who back in highschool didn't care, didn't do well, partied, who are now successful people and are going somewhere with their lives?
    actually id almost bet that people on this site that did that outnumber the ones that arent going anywhere...we seem to have a handful of dropouts that are doing just fine for themselves

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

High School - something you'll remember everytime you succeed or fail in life.

My Ride
    Bowling shoes

But out of all the people on this site&lt; how many of you know individuals who back in highschool didn't care, didn't do well, partied, who are now successful people and are going somewhere with their lives?
    Rage

Those of you who make a big deal out of highschool grad will get a shocker at university grad.

My Ride
    750Li

Default Re: Who cares about high school?

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    C'mon guys, high school, especially graduating from it, is not a big deal. EVERYONE gets through it, so graduating is not a big accomplishment at all. I mean, look at all the jokers on beyond that are highschoolers. It doesn't do a thing to get you ahead in life, it doesn't get you jobs, and it doesn't make you smarter than anyone else, since everyone else did it too.

I don't get why some people think high school diploma exams are such a big deal, why they'd study hours and hours at it just for a couple extra percent? Or the people that actually bother to frame their high school diplomas or even bother keeping it? Haha can someone explain this to me?
    Yeah the test are no biggy, but other wise I disagree with you 100%

56% of our grade graduated in 2001,

with my high school degree I have job where I am seniority to people aged 30-45 with ba's a few have mba's

highschool isnt all you should have, but you dont necessarily need more either, I am personally doing my ba parttime, but it gets discouraging, when you take into account how much school is, how many university grads are pushing wheelbarrows around, and looking at big ceo's and execs that only have high school,

gf's dad is president of marketing for cisco systems, and all he has is high school........

my point is high school is a big deal as it is a corner stone in developing your future
    Last edited by Def_3; 02-01-2005 at 09:57 AM.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    a wrx.

Default Re: Re: Who cares about high school?

You don't need good marks to get into University. You just need to make sure you aren't stupid. With an 85% average you can anywhere you want and getting into the 80s in high school is definitely not hard.

sure everyone graduates for the most part! but who gets better jobs down the road! the people with better work ethics and brains or the pot heads and skaters that didn't do dick all to pass grade 12.

Right, but you are talking about your personal work ethic. High school really has nothing to do with your personal work ethic. The fact that the pot heads and skaters that you're talking about managed to pass high school too proves that it doesn't take much to pass high school. It's NOT an accomplishment.

Originally posted by Sorath
    also, high school is where u learn the basic essentials for each course before u go in greater detail in post secondary institutions
    Nope. Introductory post-secondary classes are basically a rehash of grade 12 classes with emphasis on more details. Universities do this because they need to make sure that all students start at the same level, since every province has a slightly different curriculum. Chem 101 is essentially the same as Chem30. English 101 is essentially the same as English30.
    Originally posted by Def_3
    with my high school degree I have job where I am seniority to people aged 30-45 with ba's a few have mba's
    You're proving my point, not yours, with this statement. All those people under you also have high school. Look how far it got them! As you've proven, it's your resourcefulness that got you ahead of them, NOT your high school background, because those people, despite their superior education which goes further than high school, are still working under you.

See what I mean guys? High school graduation is nothing to be proud of, it's an empty accomplishment, or in high school playground speak, "IT DON'T MEAN SHIT!"

My Ride
    V167

high school aint' shit, end of discussion, I'm going to go hunt demons, piece!

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Default Re: Re: Re: Who cares about high school?

See what I mean guys? High school graduation is nothing to be proud of, it's an empty accomplishment, or in high school playground speak, &quot;IT DON'T MEAN SHIT!&quot;

is this going to break into another "is school useless?" thread?

because if so, this is going to be awsome
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    99' Civic Si

Default Re: Re: Re: Who cares about high school?

You don't need good marks to get into University. You just need to make sure you aren't stupid. With an 85% average you can anywhere you want and getting into the 80s in high school is definitely not hard.

Right, but you are talking about your personal work ethic. High school really has nothing to do with your personal work ethic. The fact that the pot heads and skaters that you're talking about managed to pass high school too proves that it doesn't take much to pass high school. It's NOT an accomplishment.

Nope. Introductory post-secondary classes are basically a rehash of grade 12 classes with emphasis on more details. Universities do this because they need to make sure that all students start at the same level, since every province has a slightly different curriculum. Chem 101 is essentially the same as Chem30. English 101 is essentially the same as English30.

You're proving my point, not yours, with this statement. All those people under you also have high school. Look how far it got them! As you've proven, it's your resourcefulness that got you ahead of them, NOT your high school background, because those people, despite their superior education which goes further than high school, are still working under you.

See what I mean guys? High school graduation is nothing to be proud of, it's an empty accomplishment, or in high school playground speak, &quot;IT DON'T MEAN SHIT!&quot;
    Just because you can sleep through high school and get 80s doesnt mean everyone else can. Some people just aren't that bright, but they often end up achieving more by working hard than lazy ass smart kids.

Work ethic is learned through practice. HS is a good place to practice it, a lot of people think they can just turn it on when they need to, I know I did. But now I have the same feelings about university, its not important, i can get a 3.3 with no effort, so why bother. I still probly figure I'll turn it on when I need to in the workplace, but I'll likely end up being apathetic and lazy while stupider people get promoted above me for working hard.

I just think your assumptions that everyone is universally bright, and can work hard whenever they want is off.

And who actually takes Chem 101 and Engl 101? If u pass in high school then u dont need to take them...200 level courses maybe do 1 day or the first week of school as a review, and from there you're expected to know everything.

I'm in math 251 now, and for the first week of review it was all new to me since I caught up on my sleepduring math in HS, luckily for me I'm natural at math and managed to BS my way through the quiz without studying and zoning out during the review lectures lol. But not everyone can expect to do that, and all the kids who were atleast awake in HS probly dominated me on the quiz.
    Last edited by Singel; 02-02-2005 at 12:52 AM.

My Ride
    a wrx.

As for the argument that high school builds character, I'd also disagree with that.

When does a person change the most in their young life? It is when they turn 16? Or is it when they grow from being a punk kid into an adult? How many people do you see turning into adults in high school?

I'm sure that everyone who's moved out of the nest will agree with me when I say that the biggest change in your life, the biggest learning experience, is having to learn to manage your own life and deal with your own problems. Something like figuring out how to be in the cool clique in high school pales in comparison. High school, which it may be a minor influence on one's life, is certainly not a defining moment.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Who cares about high school?

Originally posted by Singel

Having rich parents does hurt, just an assumption though but many dumbass rich kids get over, and im sure many people fit both descriptions on this site.

Just because you can sleep through high school and get 80s doesnt mean everyone else can. Some people just aren't that bright, but they often end up achieving more by working hard than lazy ass smart kids.

Work ethic is learned through practice. HS is a good place to practice it, a lot of people think they can just turn it on when they need to, I know I did. But now I have the same feelings about university, its not important, i can get a 3.3 with no effort, so why bother. I still probly figure I'll turn it on when I need to in the workplace, but I'll likely end up being apathetic and lazy while stupider people get promoted above me for working hard.

I just think your assumptions that everyone is universally bright, and can work hard whenever they want is off.

And who actually takes Chem 101 and Engl 101? If u pass in high school then u dont need to take them...200 level courses maybe do 1 day or the first week of school as a review, and from there you're expected to know everything.

I'm in math 251 now, and for the first week of review it was all new to me since I caught up on my sleepduring math in HS, luckily for me I'm natural at math and managed to BS my way through the quiz without studying and zoning out during the review lectures lol. But not everyone can expect to do that, and all the kids who were atleast awake in HS probly dominated me on the quiz.
    We're not here to talk about peoples' intelligence, we're talking about how high school graduation is nothing to be proud of. If I were to humor your post, we'd be straying off topic.

As a little note for you, Chem101 at the U of A is equivalent to Chem201 at the U of C, and English 101 at the U of A is equivalent to two English 2xx courses at the U of C. What I'm saying is that all introductory courses at the post-secondary level are essentially a repeat of grade 12 knowledge. Sorry about the confusion.

My Ride
    335i

High school is only good for the vast majority of the population who decides to work and not continue any further.

Personally, it didn't matter to me. Highschool was a great time to screw around and do absolutely nothing at all. Come to think about it, the only memories I have of high school are ones that I am not really that proud of

High school doesn't mean shit. Anyone can graduate from high school. And most people do.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    E90 335xi, ZX-10R

I completely agree with you Jeff. I tried way harder than I needed to in H/S to get good marks while everyone was always partying and shit. All I needed was a 79% to get into engineering at the time of my graduation but I had a 88%. I could of slacked off that extra 9% of work and had a ton more fun in H/S.
    Looking back the only good thing was hanging out with all your friends all the time.

I also agree that I have changed the most since I have taken a year off school and have been working full-time. I recommend this to everyone! It changes a lot of my views of the world and my life. I never thought this way while in school. You're taught that school is everything, but it's not at all. Robert Kiyosaki (author of Rich Dad, Poor Dad - an amazing read) had a good point when he mentioned that everything seems to be advancing faster than school. What they teach you and the techniques they use now are basically the same as those a hundred years ago, yet the world is changing rapidly. In the workforce of today a piece of paper gets your foot in the door, but that's it. There are many other ways to find employment today.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Default Re: Re: Who cares about high school?

Originally posted by Def_3

highschool isnt all you should have, but you dont necessarily need more either, I am personally doing my ba parttime, but it gets discouraging, when you take into account how much school is, how many university grads are pushing wheelbarrows around, and looking at big ceo's and execs that only have high school,
    thats a big one for me, the cost of school is insane, i'll probably blow 20 grand once i'm done, not to mention the potential money that i would make w/o being in post secondary. when i look at it, but my mom graduated from the u of c, but her job in the oil industry does'nt even come close to relating to the field she is in. my dad's degree somewhat relates to his job as he is in HR, but i am willing to bet that a large majority of the classes he took don't even relate and never will, same with my sister.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    03' Silverado 1500 & 2500, 04 g35

school sucks. I make a lot of money with no education.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast