Default Electronics Disposal Fees!!!!

Those fucking assholes...

http://www.albertarecycling.ca/

15-45 dollar tax on TVs.

Laptop / Notebooks $5.00
    Printers $8.00
    Computer Systems $10.00
    CRT and LCD Monitors $12.00

Yet they offer NO incentive to actually RECYCLE the damn things. I'm all for deposits like bottles, but this is nothing but a tax grab.

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH

so what happens after we pay them money, do they still throw it in the land fill?

My Ride
    Dakota

Originally posted by Tyler883
    so what happens after we pay them money, do they still throw it in the land fill?
    No it goes towards recycling, however I don't think they have a facility in Calgary that does it, from what I've heard you'll have to take them to Red Deer

Do we still have to take it directly to the recycling facility? that's pretty crappy then. especially if there's not one in Calgary (that seems hard to believe though) It seems like if there's no incentive to take it to recycling, why would people do it?
    *edit* I bet people will throw it in the garbage just to spite the government.
    Success is the ultimate revenge.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

They need to charge a deposit like they do on bottles or else only hippis will be recycling... the problem is hippi's don't own cell phones or laptops... deep.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

I think it should be sort of like a deposit. It's expensive to recycle electronics, and it will eventually come back to hurt us all if we don't. I agree we need to help fund the recycling effort, I think it should be more like pay $60 when you buy the thing, get $30 back when you take it to be recycled.

However, I also think the city/government needs to take more of an active approach in the system. They need to have a service where they collect them somewhere local for everybody, Perhaps run recycling clinics in different communities each week?
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

I like how Winnipeg treats recycling.

You pay 2 cents on every bottle or beverage container you buy. (i.e. 48 cents on 24 cans of Pepsi or 2 cents on a 2L Pepsi bottle).

However... you get a blue box for all of your recycleables that gets picked up every garbage day. Surprisingly enough it has turned out to be VERY popular and is used by a majority of the population without any need for an inscentive.

Personally, I work in the IT field and it is a HUGE pain in the ass to get rid of used monitors. This new levy will make it quite a bit easier.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Originally posted by sputnik
    Personally, I work in the IT field and it is a HUGE pain in the ass to get rid of used monitors. This new levy will make it quite a bit easier.
    Ahaha - you think because you paid the fee you get to leave the monitor/power supplies out with the garbage? Nothing has changed on that front.

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by sputnik
    I like how Winnipeg treats recycling.

You pay 2 cents on every bottle or beverage container you buy. (i.e. 48 cents on 24 cans of Pepsi or 2 cents on a 2L Pepsi bottle).

However... you get a blue box for all of your recycleables that gets picked up every garbage day. Surprisingly enough it has turned out to be VERY popular and is used by a majority of the population without any need for an inscentive.

in edmonton, all u have to do is put your recycling stuff in a blue bag and set it next to the trash. no need to sort shit, no need to clean shit, just throw it in the bag. the garbage man will take the blue bag and recycle it for u. i think most people do it cuz its so easy that theres no reason to not do it. plus most of the garbage u make is recyclable too.

isnt there a recycling program in calgary?

My Ride
    MDX

There are provisions for at least 2 plants in Calgary for this stuff. Hell, I sold a 60" grand Wega to one of the chairmen of the board on this committy. From what he said, it is going to be a VERY profitable industry, and has been in the works for at least 6-8 years now.

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    Its a "deposit" based system. You return your recyclables to a depot to get your 5 cents per can back. So for a guy like me I need to save my cans and bottles for a couple of months just to make it worth my time to go to the bottle depot.

So as a result. I just throw everything away.

My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH

Calgary needs to really step up their efforts with plastic recycling. There are about 16 different plastics that are recyclable but calgary only want milk jugs because there is no market for the other plastics. IMO, this is unacceptable, so I give them all my plastics, anyway.

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Originally posted by GTS Jeff

Of course there is. For normal stuff like cardboard, plastics, paper etc. This whole electronics recycling is the new concept here.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

Actually Edmonton has a TV tax too. I saw a sign at superstore yesterday. But if I was given a free recycling box, I'd probably use it. But since I don't everythign goes in the trash haha.

My Ride
    Porsche 997 C2S / Toyota Tundra

Even shittier, NCIX will not be shipping monitors, etc to Alberta anytime soon.

When you buy through Futureshop online do you still pay this tax?

My Ride
    MDX

Originally posted by TrevorK
    When you buy through Futureshop online do you still pay this tax?
    yup

My Ride
    325i

Shitty deal but I guess just learn to live with it. At least we don't have to pay PST and all that junk that BC has to pay.

My Ride
    06 Ralliart.

Not to the same extent. There are big bins in various parking lots that you can drop off your cardboards and paper. The bottle depots will take pop cans, bottles and some plastics. But you have to do the work of separating and everything and then load your vehicle up and take it in.

Its a "deposit" based system. You return your recyclables to a depot to get your 5 cents per can back. So for a guy like me I need to save my cans and bottles for a couple of months just to make it worth my time to go to the bottle depot.
    I end up doing this a lot myself. My roommate loves to recycle. But it usually ends up that we keep garbage in the house for months at a time. Various corners are piled with cardboard or junk mail/newpapers. It drives me nuts but my car doesn't really have a lot of cargo room for carrying this shit. So I toss stuff out that could be recycled.

Calgary should implement a system like Edmonton.

My Ride
    Pimp Mobile

shit man, i thought albertas government was so fucking rich also...use some money towards droppin some taxes or drop this fuckin levy jesus christ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast