Quantcast
toms scoop? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: toms scoop?

My Ride
    bmw 135

Default toms scoop?

hey every one i bought a toms scoop for my car u all know the one i think. well any way i know it dosnt fit right now and needs moding and i was wondering of the guys who have thim where i should take it to get it done what body shop dose a good job??

I'd reccommend blocking off the bottom of the scoop so that the air that it picks up and sends to the engine compartment doesn't create turbulence with the air flow Toyota designed.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

The tom's scoop is useless man, Id throw it up on ebay.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Well, that's basically what I was saying... but if he likes the look, at least make it so that its not reverse-functional

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

My Ride
    bmw 135

ok i will do that but i may not even put it on if i cant find a place to do it.
    will the air it really pick up mess up anything?

The MR2 is designed so that a low pressure zone is created behind the rear windshield to help the air flow from under the car up through the engine lid. This is the air flow that helps cool the engine bay, and the reason for the stock routing of the intake. If you put a Tom's scopp on you start to fight this air flow, and disrupt the design Toyota worked hard to create.

Originally posted by shay
    ok i will do that but i may not even put it on if i cant find a place to do it.
    will the air it really pick up mess up anything?

My Ride
    Some wedges.

I'm so glad people are realizing that those scoops are retarded...they look terrible (opinion, yeah..whatever), and disrupt airflow in a major way...in terms of aerodynamics and cooling. Down with roof scoops!
    WTB:
    87+ AW11 ds valence panel, ds fender, rear visor. Burgundy interior parts as well.
    7th gen Celica antenna assembly

Please PM me, thanks!

My Ride
    Toyota MK1 Supercharged (alpine white)

I thought they looked pretty cool, didnt know that they hurt the car more than they helped it, thanks for the info

Has anyone really proven that they "Disrupt Airflow"??? All I've heard is "well, someone said this and another person said that...."

Does anyone have any evidence?

Well, it sure as hall can't help. It's sort of similar to pissing upstream in the river. A little flow isn't going to over power the stong one, but it still sucks.

Originally posted by 91tomstwo
    Has anyone really proven that they "Disrupt Airflow"??? All I've heard is "well, someone said this and another person said that...."

Does anyone have any evidence?

Originally posted by dj_Twin_turbo
    Well, it sure as hall can't help. It's sort of similar to pissing upstream in the river. A little flow isn't going to over power the stong one, but it still sucks.

I have no idea what you're talking about??? What "little flow" overpowering the strong one??? I would imagine the design is similar to the F1 cars since they also have an intake hole above the driver.

My Ride
    996TT

Shay. You car looks like ass. Who built that car???

You should part it out.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

I have no idea what you're talking about??? What "little flow" overpowering the strong one??? I would imagine the design is similar to the F1 cars since they also have an intake hole above the driver.

Originally posted by dj_Twin_turbo
    The MR2 is designed so that a low pressure zone is created behind the rear windshield to help the air flow from under the car up through the engine lid. This is the air flow that helps cool the engine bay, and the reason for the stock routing of the intake. If you put a Tom's scopp on you start to fight this air flow, and disrupt the design Toyota worked hard to create.

My Ride
    91 MR2 T

Wasn't the Toms scoop initially made for the NA MK2?

The MR2 is designed so that a low pressure zone is created behind the rear windshield to help the air flow from under the car up through the engine lid. This is the air flow that helps cool the engine bay, and the reason for the stock routing of the intake. If you put a Tom's scopp on you start to fight this air flow, and disrupt the design Toyota worked hard to create
    I guess there are a few things I want to point out as I think there is a misconception/misunderstanding of the toms scoop.

1. Agreed. I do believe the toms scoop will have an effect on the air flow that Toyota may have designed.

2. No one has really proven that the toms scoop is "bad" for the car. For example, I've never heard of anyone saying that they installed the toms scoop and the under hood temps have increased.

3. I think a lot of people blow the toms scoop thing out of proportion. Lets just pretend that an MR2 Turbo is completely in stock form except that the user put in a K&N or some other aftermarket air filter
    (which almost every MR2 owner has done). This results in slightly relocating the MAF and completely removing the airbox. don't you think this is going to have an even more negative effect on Toyota's airflow design. I'm not talking about the intake airflow but rather the same negative airflow design that a lot of people are talking about with regards to having a toms scoop. Basically what I'm saying is that any type of "physical" modifcation to the engine bay will result in some sort of airflow change that toyota designed.

What bugs me the most is that some MR2 newbies will just spit out "Yeah dude, the toms scoop is bad for your car" and yet they only say that because they read that in one of the forums and they think they understand the whole airflow desing.

Don't get me wrong. It quite possibly may be that the Toms Scoop is bad for the MR2 turbo. All I'm saying is that no one has really proven anything and yet, a tonne of people are saying that it bad. That's my two cents.

My Ride
    91 MR2 T

A buddy of mine is a smoker and he didn't put or the scoop didn't have the mesh and what it did was, when he flicked the cigarette butts out the window, sometimes the butts would end up stuck to his air intake (though this doesn't really answer your question)

I think you're purely speculating about the F1 car, just because something appears similar doesn't mean that it acts in the same way. The underside of an F1 car is designed to cause vacuum to hold the car to the road, not for air to flow up through the engine bay.

The Tom's Scoop was designed for use with the 2.0L 3SGE NA engine in conjuntion with a Tom's airbox to make it functional.

Originally posted by TRDan
    Wasn't the Toms scoop initially made for the NA MK2?

I'm not sure that anyone has ever measured the difference in relocating the MAF may cause either. You are right, there are other things that people do to their car that may actually hinder the performance of the vehicle.

My point is that if you are buying the Tom's scoop for performance reasons you will get absolutely no gain from it on a North American car without modification of the intake system.

I think there are more "newbies" out there thinking that the Tom's scoop is performance enhancing, than ones that agree with the fairly substansial evidence that without the intake being modified on a 3SGTE or 5SFE or the appropriate Tom's parts used on a 3SGE, the scoop is of no value, besides - to some - aesthetics.

3. I think a lot of people blow the toms scoop thing out of proportion. Lets just pretend that an MR2 Turbo is completely in stock form except that the user put in a K&N or some other aftermarket air filter
    (which almost every MR2 owner has done). This results in slightly relocating the MAF and completely removing the airbox. don't you think this is going to have an even more negative effect on Toyota's airflow design. I'm not talking about the intake airflow but rather the same negative airflow design that a lot of people are talking about with regards to having a toms scoop. Basically what I'm saying is that any type of "physical" modifcation to the engine bay will result in some sort of airflow change that toyota designed.

What bugs me the most is that some MR2 newbies will just spit out "Yeah dude, the toms scoop is bad for your car" and yet they only say that because they read that in one of the forums and they think they understand the whole airflow desing.

Don't get me wrong. It quite possibly may be that the Toms Scoop is bad for the MR2 turbo. All I'm saying is that no one has really proven anything and yet, a tonne of people are saying that it bad. That's my two cents.

I've got a feeling that you may be slightly sensitve to this subject for reasons tied to your username
    Last edited by dj_Twin_turbo; 03-13-2005 at 03:13 AM.

My Ride
    2Look slk

I installed Puller fans on my engine lid and I measured a huge drop in engine bay temps. Notice I said that they were puller fans as they PULL the air out of the engine bay. The tom's scoop PUSHES the air into the engine bay which is highly ineffective and yes as mention the Tom's scoop was made to work with the tom's airbox on an NA. There are very very few mr2 newbies on this board so all the information you read here is correct.

BTW this is Redlyne

Redlyne...

I would guess that you measured engine bay temperatures with the fans on and off, while the car was still... right ?

I'd be interesting to find out the difference with the car running down the freeway at 110-120 km/h with the fans on, and with them removed, to allow the normal airflow to occur.

I'm willing to bet that the difference isn't quite as high !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast