Quantcast
Quality Ratings? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Quality Ratings?

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Question Quality Ratings?

I was just wondering who does the quality ratings each year for car manufacturers? And what websites are there? I'm looking for the people that have the authoritative ratings that seems to be the bench mark for the business. I need to do some research for a school project but the name eludes me at the moment.. also if you have any links to consumer reports or specifically information on japanese vs american cars in terms of quality ratings and other comparisons that would be awesome. TIA.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

Would you like us to write the paper too?

My Ride
    pedals

consumer reports does a car survey i thought.
    http://www.consumerreports.org/main/...=1108249110352

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Originally posted by D. Dub
    Would you like us to write the paper too?
    STFU newbie. All I want is the name of the firm or whatever that does these quality ratings and maybe a link or two that you have come across that could be helpful. Don't post in my thread.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Originally posted by hjr
    consumer reports does a car survey i thought.
    http://www.consumerreports.org/main/...=1108249110352
    Thanks for the link hjr, but all the headings I want to check out you need to be a paid subscriber.. does anyone else have a site?

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

http://www.jdpower.com/cc/index.jsp

JD Power follows up with new car buyers so the data is collected from people who actually own the vehicles. JDPower is the best source to see what people's attitudes are about a particular brand/vehicle however consumer reports offers a more objective point of view.

http://www.edmunds.com/

Edmunds is worth a look, they do a full review of each car though, not specificially just in terms of quality.

I don't think any site will rank quality by brand though A particular brand is capable of putting out a great or shitty build - there are a lot of factors that go into it - supplier network, assembly plant, labour force, etc and since all of that varies from one vehicle to the next (even within brands) it would be hard to give a ranking. How do you rank it if one company has one car that is built horrible and another car that is great vs another company that consistently builds average cars?
    Last edited by 1badPT; 02-12-2005 at 05:35 PM.

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Originally posted by 1badPT
    http://www.jdpower.com/cc/index.jsp

I don't think any site will rank quality by brand though
    Thanks a lot for the help!

What I guess i'm looking for is this. You know when someone will say "toyota has been the top ranked manufacturer in terms of quality for the past xx years"? I want to know who does such rankings if that makes sense.. thanks

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

http://strategicvision.com/

Almost forgot - under research they have the Total Quality Awards list broken down by car class.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Any of the "initial quality" ones are useless. Hyundai has improved lots in the "initial quality" indexes but the same cars are not scoring very high after a few years of use. You want to look at the 3 - 5 year reports to see how long they last.