Quantcast
O2 simulator anyone have any thoughts about this? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: O2 simulator anyone have any thoughts about this?

My Ride
    22 ZR2, 06 YZ250, 77 KZ1000 supercharged

Default O2 simulator anyone have any thoughts about this?

I realize its just a resistor fakin a voltage signal. I'm curious to know if it works well or not.

-----------------------------------
    OBDII cars have two oxygen sensors to measure the amount of oxygen contained in the exhaust gas. The first sensor is located on the manifold or header and measures O2 content of the exhaust as it escapes from the cylinders. This sensor is used by the PCM/ECM to calculate fuel trims and look for combustion problems. The second oxygen sensor is located after the catalytic converter and is used only to measure catalytic converter efficiency. The PCM/ECM does NOT use any data from the secondary O2 sensor for engine management. The PCM will set an CEL(check engine light)/SES (service engine soon)/MIL(Malfunction Indicator Lamp) light if the catalytic converter is removed, the sensor is removed, or the sensor goes bad.

When the test pipe is installed and the converter is removed it is necessary to verify that nothing else sets CEL/SES/MIL light and the car can pass OBD emission inspection. The O2 Sensor Simulator will simulate sensor proper signal and will not let the PCM/ECM to store the error code and set CEL/SES/MIL light.
    ----------------------------------------------

http://www.o2simulator.com/

My Ride

Also found this do it your self one.

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/oxy...sor_simulator/

My Ride
    the bandwagon!

i started to understand what they were talking about and then i became lost! so is what their saying that you just make something to fool you ECU into thinking that no-cat applications will trick the ECU into thinking that their is a cat and no problem!

I know the comtech race header for the DC5 include a new harness to take care of that problem as it eliminates the cat.

My Ride
    YZ250

Or you can just get a little threaded extension piece to add on the o2 sensor bung which pulls it out of the flow, so it reads slightly cooler as it would after a cat....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

^^^I've read about that...but never known anyone to use it and for it to work...when I used to work in parts...the V8 boys were telling me (the lil import kid) to try i...never got around to doing so...but I guess if there are other people that know about it it must kinda work...

the principle of the idea in theory sounds sane...
    ...@therealarifjina...

I have the steeda eliminators in my truck, the work great.

My truck went really really rich after removal of catalytic converters, this caused an engine trouble code, put the eliminators now mixture is correct and no codes.

No problems after 30k's.

I would suggest getting them/

My Ride

Originally posted by gorillam

My truck went really really rich after removal of catalytic converters, this caused an engine trouble code, put the eliminators now mixture is correct and no codes.

No problems after 30k's.

sweet.

My Ride
    11 sec weather van

Originally posted by gorillam

No problems after 30k's.

Removing the cats will not cause a rich condition on your truck. The cats are there to "recycle" excess hydrocarbons in the exhaust stream, and if they're removed, the hydrocarbons will exit the tail pipe. This results in your exhaust smelling rich.

The check engine coming on after removal of the cats is just that... An annoying light. No fuel or timing changes are made by the ecu with a failed secondary 02 sensor code. All the secondary 02s are there for is monitors oxygen levels after the cats to make sure that they're doing their job.

For Ford vehicles, i've used the mil eliminators (or stimulators) on numerous cars, and they do work.
    As an alternative to the mil eliminator, i often turn off the rear 02 heaters when tuning ford cars using my chip software. That does the same thing....
    Matt
    Ford tuning guy...

I have too much respect for the idea of God to make it responsible for such an absurd world.
    Georges Duhamel

joke of the day:
    Originally posted by Danger_Mouse
    There is a replacement for displacement. It's called technology.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Ha Ha. Wade, you should have asked me. I have one that I made for $5.00 and put it right under the driver's seat carpet in my Eclipse.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/O2bypass.html

My Ride

Originally posted by heavyD
    Ha Ha. Wade, you should have asked me. I have one that I made for $5.00 and put it right under the driver's seat carpet in my Eclipse.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/O2bypass.html
    Oh, ok. When I was talking to you about it the other day you did not mention it. It's probly the same config as your mitsu, so 5 dollar fix sounds good to me.

My Ride
    '21 F150 Lariat Nardo Grey

http://www.mileliminators.com/

That's what I use for my WRX.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Hollywood

Oh, ok. When I was talking to you about it the other day you did not mention it. It's probly the same config as your mitsu, so 5 dollar fix sounds good to me.
    The only problem is that a 12ohm/12 watt resistor isn't easy to find and like the thread says, you can't skimp on that part. I can attest personally that using a 10 watt will make alot of smell and enough heat to warm your bum. Fortunately a guy in our Mississauga office found one for me.

If I had known about:
    http://www.mileliminators.com/
    I may have just bought one of those. If you want I will go halfers as it's (2) for $29.95. If mine ever craps out again it's going to be hard to find another 12 watt resistor.

I was considering it for a while too, but it sounds pretty risky. Your CEL could be on and you wouldn't even know! But if you're only blocking the CEL due to the secondary O2 sensor then it probably won't be a huge deal.

Converting to OBD1 might be a better idea...

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by richardchan2002
    I was considering it for a while too, but it sounds pretty risky. Your CEL could be on and you wouldn't even know! But if you're only blocking the CEL due to the secondary O2 sensor then it probably won't be a huge deal.

There is absolutely no risk in the mod. The second O2 sensor is only there to ensure that the catalytic converter is working properly. Since you have no cat, it isn't a problem. Every OBDII car has the same CEL codes. You're only blocking the one code.

My Ride

Originally posted by heavyD
    I may have just bought one of those. If you want I will go halfers as it's (2) for $29.95. If mine ever craps out again it's going to be hard to find another 12 watt resistor.
    Ok I will let you know soon.

Originally posted by richardchan2002

Are you being serious? Converting a harness and ECU to OBD1? Instead of putting in a 10 dollar resistor?

Not all cars are honda's, meaning not all cars have obd conversion harnesses readily available.

Hahaha. I'm living in Honda-land.

It looks like it only blocks the one code for the secondary O2 sensor, so it sounds quite reasonable.