Quantcast
Oil evaporating after switching to synthetic - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Oil evaporating after switching to synthetic

My Ride
    01 330i

Default Oil evaporating after switching to synthetic

I have an 01 prelude and about 10 months ago I switched to synthetic oil, since then I have noticed that my oil levels are dropping dramatically. The need to add a few quarts of oil after 2000-3000K of driving is always required. There is no leaking, every time I go to get it changed I ask if there are any leaks, and the answer is always no. No leaking on the garage floor either. You guys ever heard of this happening? Any suggestions?

Any help is appreciated
    Thanks Guys!

My Ride
    A big red Taco, '99 4Runner

How many km's on the car? If you have alot of km's and switch to synthetic after alot of dino-juice, you probably have some blow-by on the piston rings. That would account for the missing oil. Is there any blue smoke, like when you start the car, or accelerate hard?

My Ride
    01 330i

I have about 130K, but was way under 100 when I did the switch. A friend of mine had the same thing happen to him and the majority of it ended up around his plugs. No blue smoke when it's started or at WOT... I was told that you could switch back to normal oil or semi synthetic by a friend, you think that would help?

My Ride
    Dakota

That is normal for that engine, I had a 99 lude & it did the same thing, I believe it even said in the owners manual that it is normal to top up the oil between changes.

My Ride
    01 330i

Originally posted by Gspotracer
    That is normal for that engine, I had a 99 lude & it did the same thing, I believe it even said in the owners manual that it is normal to top up the oil between changes.
    Seriously!!! That is the biggest pain in the ass, like it doesn't cost enough to get the oil changed, should last the 5K

My Ride
    N54B30O1

Synthetic oil does not evaporate at normal engine operating temperatures. If it is disappearing, it's going into the cylinders. It sucks, but it's not the end of the world.

My Ride
    A big red Taco, '99 4Runner

^^ Yup. What he said.

I didn't know about the Preludes having that problem with oil consumption though. If that's the case, then I'd suggest going back to reglar oil, or a semi-blend.

My Ride
    Dakota

Originally posted by ZMan2k2
    ^^ Yup. What he said.

I didn't know about the Preludes having that problem with oil consumption though. If that's the case, then I'd suggest going back to reglar oil, or a semi-blend.
    Thats what I did with mine, just used regular oil & changed it more often

My Ride
    01 330i

I'll give that a shot... thanks guys. I have to get it changed here pretty quick, I think I'll go back to regular. Hopefully that makes a difference...

yeah, Preludes are known to burn oil, although mine only loses 1L every 6000km's. But its nothing serious.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Alot of Honda engines use oil in my experience. My brother's Integra GSR used oil, my B16A del sol, used oil, my d16 civic used oil. Not lots or burning blue mind you but they always used up to a litre between changes. Synthetic oil in these engines usually tend consume a bit more than regular oil. It's really not a big deal unless you are topping off your car every week.

My Ride
    01 330i

It's good to know that I'm not the only one who experiences this, I thought that I was on the verge of a major problem here.

buh buh what kind of oil are you running?

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

I have same problem. 97 prelude, Mobil 1. I notice a sufficient more decrease if using vtec alot. But like said, its about 1L every 5000km for me...depending on driving conditions etc.. Just make sure you check your oil everytime you get gas

mobil 1 5w30/10w40

My Ride
    01 330i

good to know... thanks buh buh!

ryder - I want to try something else (currently using Castrol) cause checking my oil every time I get gas is becoming a pain in the ass
    Last edited by RCBVtec; 02-16-2005 at 12:22 PM.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by RCBVtec
    good to know... thanks buh buh!

ryder - I want to try something else (currently using Castrol) cause checking my oil every time I get gas is becoming a pain in the ass
    Try one of the high mileage oils that Castrol, Quaker State, and others make. Some DSM guys in the US say they get decreased oil consumption with that stuff.

My Ride
    01 330i

Originally posted by heavyD

Try one of the high mileage oils that Castrol, Quaker State, and others make. Some DSM guys in the US say they get decreased oil consumption with that stuff.
    Thanks HD, I'll give that a shot!

My Ride
    firebird

I go through 1L every 5k of mobile1/syntec in my 93 legend with 205 000km on it....it has done this for 3 years. It is common for cars that have been using regular oil to go through more once they switch to synthetic....that is why many people do not recommend to do this if oil consumption bothers you.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802