Quantcast
Process of Importing a car - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Process of Importing a car

My Ride
    2013 Longhorn Ram

Default Process of Importing a car

I know theres been a lot of discusion about the rules regarding importing cars etc, but Im wondering about the process that you went through to get it, how you selected your car, how long the process took, and generally how you went about doing it? I know the fellow that just recently imported the Silvia would be full of information (sorry, I dont recall you name off hand). Im just curious because Id like to import a car someday.

Originally posted by SKR
    You know what, I'm such a ricer. More form than function, oversized exhaust, Japanese engine, and if I put the tailgate down it kind of acts as much like a wing as the picnic table wings the fast and furious guys are bolting to their cars.

My Ride
    QX80,SL600, Utopia 205SE

Saw it, bought it, paid for it, shipped it, did paperwork, now driving it, enjoying it.

Took 3-4 weeks.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

^^^ Hopefully this post may have more information than the above...

I personally would recommend going through someone who knows what they're doing, such as Christian at www.importconcern.ca

Importing a car can be a pain in the ass unless you know what you're doing, so it'd be a lot easier to get Christian to do it. Besides, they only charge a small fee on top of the quote they give you (which include shipping, clearing and taxes already).

It's well worth it to save yourself the headaches.

On their website they have listings of a bunch of cars, so it'd be easy for you to look at what you wanted and see exactly how much it would cost you.

My Ride
    2013 Longhorn Ram

Thanks for that site! That helps a lot. Im in love with that Fairlady Z on their site

Originally posted by SKR
    You know what, I'm such a ricer. More form than function, oversized exhaust, Japanese engine, and if I put the tailgate down it kind of acts as much like a wing as the picnic table wings the fast and furious guys are bolting to their cars.

My Ride
    07 Ruckus, 05 Echo

Originally posted by Phuqu
    Saw it, bought it, paid for it, shipped it, did paperwork, now driving it, enjoying it.

Took 3-4 weeks.
    You were lucky to get it that quickly, I've waited up to 3 months last fall when there were no used car spaces.

My Ride
    '89 Silvia, '02 Xterra

the fellow that just recently imported the Silvia would be full of information
    I assume your talking about me so here goes.

I had dabbled with the idea of importing an S13 for about a year before I actually went through with it, on and off talked to christian about certain cars on the site and stuff. When I finally decided to do it, it went like this:

Gave Christian the money, took about 2 weeks of bidding until I won a car (missed out on 1, lost bid on 1)
    Christian tried to get the car to the port as fast as possible because there was a vessel leaving in a couple days, my car made it to the port in time but the vessel was canceled, so really from the time I bought the car at auction it took about a month to get on the next boat and get here, then I think it was another 2 weeks or so from the time it landed to the time it arrived in calgary.
    All in all I bought the car (if I remember correctly) on sept 27th, and the car arrived Nov 24th....pretty much 2 months

The way you find a car is actually quite easy, If your bidding at auction, you give christian your money and tell him exactly how much your maximum bid is, then day by day he updates the list on the site with cars available and if you see one you like, you contact him. Bidding starts at around 7pm our time (morning for them) and will usually go till about 1 or 2 am (correct?) so be sure to contact him before then, or you wont get the car. Then, once you place your bid, you find a dark dreary corner and huddle up in the fetal position and try not to go mad waiting for that "special phone call" saying you won or lost!

Good times!!

All in all a great experience, not to mention a good investment...these cars hold their value quite well

CA18DET Powered S13

^^^^

Saw you on Macleod on Sunday night, thats a crazy haircut your sporting!

Nice ride

My Ride
    '89 Silvia, '02 Xterra

lol thanks, I was waiting for someone to poke fun at me

CA18DET Powered S13

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I'm debating between buying that Cefiro, or importing something of my own.

I'm desperate to sell this car now, too.

But yea, if you don't know the process of getting an exporter, clearing a car at customs etc., I'd just get someone to do it.

My Ride
    2013 Longhorn Ram

How often does he update the site? Daily?

Originally posted by SKR

My Ride
    '89 Silvia, '02 Xterra

yes daily but not on weekends, there arent enough cars on weekends to go to the trouble of doing it I guess. If you tell him what kind of car(s) your interested in he will list as many of those cars as possible...there are TONS of cars going through auction so he doesnt list everything, only the cars people are looking for or cars he thinks would interest people anyway.

Sometimes certain cars show up on a daily basis in moderate numbers, such as the Z32's and R32's, but sometimes there will be days where you won't see any....also some cars show up less likely than others, when I was looking for an S13, Silvias only showed up once every few days, so patience is the key

CA18DET Powered S13

My Ride
    2013 Longhorn Ram

thats awesome, thanks for the help man. Knew youd be a good one to ask. i have no idea what Im looking for or when i would be able to import it, but it is something to mull over

Originally posted by SKR

My Ride
    '89 Silvia, '02 Xterra

np man, if you decide its what you want you can always come by a meet this summer and take a look at some of the local jdm's for some further convincing....if you know what I mean

CA18DET Powered S13

My Ride
    2013 Longhorn Ram

When are the meets? are they wednesdays currently? If they are that completly fucks me from coming (night classes). but yea, id like to take a look around. Ultimatly Id like to hold out for another 4 years and get a 94 R32 Skylime.

Originally posted by SKR

My Ride
    '89 Silvia, '02 Xterra

why a 94? they are available now! there are already quite a few in town
    the regular meets at chinook are always wednesdays, but us nissan guys will be planning lots of weekend meets and cruises, oh and my dads a photographer so I'll be setting up a photoshoot too. Just keep an eye out on the events forum for something to come up and try to make it

CA18DET Powered S13

My Ride
    2013 Longhorn Ram

Cause in 4 years thats when Im gonna be done with schooling, when I will acutally be able to afford and properly maintain a car like that. but yea, I'll keep my ears open about the meets

Originally posted by SKR