Quantcast
NHL Uncancelled? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NHL Uncancelled?

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Default NHL Uncancelled?

Apparently the NHL and the Union are meeting again tomorrow (Feb 19). WHY WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY are they putting us through this. Season cancelled end of story, understandably they don't want to lose the season and the players know they won't get a better deal than this one but I was ready to live without hockey for the year and then they pull this shit?

I'de say I'm a pretty die hard fan but if there's no hockey after this weekend AFTER formally cancelling the season it's gonna be tough to go back.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=115396

Two sides to meet Saturday in New York

TSN.ca Staff

2/18/2005

Representatives of both NHL owners and players have not given up hope of salvaging the NHL season and many are confident games will be played this spring. TSN has learned the two sides will meet in New York in another attempt to reach an agreement on a new collective bargaining agreement.

According to sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity, several NHL owners have been in contact with agents and players in hope of getting a deal done.

TSN has also learned that Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux have been involved in the process to get the two sides together and NHL Vice President Bill Daly and NHLPA Senior Director Ted Saskin will be in attendance at Saturday's meeting. NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA Executive Director Bob Goodenow will also be involved, either directly or indirectly.

"We can't let this thing die when we're so close," said one team executive. "We've come this far, it would be insane to lose the season over a relatively small gap."

Related Info
    NHL's cancellation taking its toll in US
    Post-NHL cancellation stories won't die

Negotiations broke off late Tuesday night after the players rejected the NHL's final offer of a 42.5-million dollar salary cap, while the owners rejected the NHLPA's proposal of a $49-million cap.

Hopes of a deal being reached even after Commissioner Gary Bettman cancelled the season surfaced Thursday when Detroit Red Wings' captain Steve Yzerman suggested a deal could still be done by the weekend.

"I don't know if it's necessarily tonight, tomorrow morning, Friday night or Saturday. I know the season has been cancelled, but it's not too late to uncancel it," Yzerman told The Hockey News.

And while Wayne Gretzky denied reports that he had been working behind the scenes with Mario Lemieux to get a deal done, he said Thursday he hoped the season could still be saved.

"I did talk to Mario today," Gretzky told the Fan 590 radio station in Toronto on Thursday. "I had a brief conversation about pretty much what everyone else is talking about, can we believe we're in the situation we're in. Nobody understands why we're in this situation. Nobody has the answer to how we got here or how we're going to get out of here."

Bettman said at his news conference Wednesday the league would go no higher than $42.5 million and added that the owners' offer was now off the table.

But Bettman also left the door open for the NHLPA to accept the league's final offer, saying that if the players called and said they would take the $42.5-million cap, he "would have to look at it."

In the 1994-1995 labour dispute, a group of unhappy owners went behind Bettman's back and negotiated directly with the players, forcing Bettman to cut a deal.

That will be much more difficult this time around, as it would take three-quarters of the league's 30 teams to override the commissioner, meaning that he needs only eight votes to hold his position.

In answer to a question at his Wednesday press conference, NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow said he would step aside if the membership wanted to go in a different direction. But Goodenow said he had not been asked to do so.

My Ride
    5.0L Mustang Inches of Air-assisted lift: 10

Cross your fingers...

My Ride
    '97 gti vr6

Stupid NHL, and NHLPA.

I'm starting to think that they're just trying to get everyone in the states on board with hockey.. making it a big headline in the papers etc.
    -- laubz.com

Lets all hope the season will be saved tomorrow!!!

oh man!!! Just saw this on The Score!!!
    We still have time for a 20 game season!

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Originally posted by l4uber
    Stupid NHL, and NHLPA.

I'm starting to think that they're just trying to get everyone in the states on board with hockey.. making it a big headline in the papers etc.
    NHL will never be that big in the US. I also heard that ESPN said they'll cancel their contract with the NHL for 2006 if this season is cancelled. That's pretty good incentive for the NHL to make something happen since they are TRYING to expand the sport in the US.

Heard on ESPN, TSN, and read on the Hockey News website that both sides have agreed to a $45 million cap in principle. Mario and Wayne have been pretty critical in this situation too....pretty sure we'll see hockey this year cause why would they have a meeting AFTER Bettman canceled it already. I don't think we'll be hearing tomorrow that there was "no progress" rather we'll be hearing something along the lines of the season starts March 1.

My Ride
    cd7 coupe

Originally posted by Ajay

NHL will never be that big in the US. I also heard that ESPN said they'll cancel their contract with the NHL for 2006 if this season is cancelled. That's pretty good incentive for the NHL to make something happen since they are TRYING to expand the sport in the US.

Heard on ESPN, TSN, and read on the Hockey News website that both sides have agreed to a $45 million cap in principle. Mario and Wayne have been pretty critical in this situation too....pretty sure we'll see hockey this year cause why would they have a meeting AFTER Bettman canceled it already. I don't think we'll be hearing tomorrow that there was "no progress" rather we'll be hearing something along the lines of the season starts March 1.
    Global said March 5th, on my B-Day

i dont want a 20 game season + playoffs, if there are playoffs. seems dumb. scrap this season and make next season a go.

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Originally posted by EDM
    i dont want a 20 game season + playoffs, if there are playoffs. seems dumb. scrap this season and make next season a go.
    or not. I just want to watch NHL hockey, 20 game season or hell even less. Whatever, hockey is hockey. Lets just play.

My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

If tomorrow I hear something to the tune of, "We're still talking things over." I am going to go absolutely apeshit.

My Ride
    2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GT

well.. if they have a season this year.. we are guarenteed one next year.. if we dont have a season this year.. who knows wut's going to happen next year..

so the sooner we have a season.. the sooner we know if we will have a full season next year or not

ill all for a 20 game season.. hell im all for a 1 game season .. if it guarentees a season next year

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Originally posted by Wakalimasu
    well.. if they have a season this year.. we are guarenteed one next year.. if we dont have a season this year.. who knows wut's going to happen next year..

so the sooner we have a season.. the sooner we know if we will have a full season next year or not

ill all for a 20 game season.. hell im all for a 1 game season .. if it guarentees a season next year

Apparently some analysts are talking that they might extend the season this year and instead of finishing up the season in say early June it would go until early July with playoffs and all.

I think we'll see it but then again I thought after the NHLPA proposal on Dec 9 there was gonna be hockey.

So if all these new agreements fly, and the operating costs are going to decrease will we see seat prices go down...I doubt it

My Ride
    something green

If this would have been at the begenning of a full season, my reponse would have been different...
    At this point I am so over hockey , I could careless anymore, I kinda lost alot of respect for the players in the last couple of months...
    Anyone hear that charity ad on QR for the nhl players?Pretty good..

http://www.am770chqr.com/station/nhl_psa.cfm?JOR=5173
    Too loud for Aspen

Flames won't have a 20 games season since they'll be in the playoffs

My Ride
    K20A3

made no sense

My Ride
    99' Civic Si

Haven't read all the posts but I'm pretty sure they'll still be able to get in 28 games

My Ride
    2002 Toyota Corolla

please please please please......

My Ride
    95 AC INTEG 90 crx si

Originally posted by l4uber
    Stupid NHL, and NHLPA.

I was thinking the same thing, like its just a big scheme to get everyone to realize how much they would miss hockey if there was no more hockey. But I dont care, I jsut want to see hockey again. Going to the bars just aint the same with out it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast