Quantcast
Aem Plug And Play - Tuners Needed! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aem Plug And Play - Tuners Needed!

My Ride
    SKYLINE GTR ,AE86, memories of a turbo 2000 lude

Unhappy Aem Plug And Play - Tuners Needed!

within the next week i should be receiving my aem plug and play computer - hopefully lol.anyways i was wondering does any one know of somebody who knows enough to tune it in calgary minus the expensive per hour charge lol .i heard that if not done properly i can turn my engine into a nuclear reactor within seconds and cause a melt down the size of chernobyll so if you guys dont want radiation contamination in calgary it would probably be a wise decision to help me out somehow lol

rage2 (Shelton) and Redline (Kyle) on this board are pretty knowledgeable about tuning. I'm sure that they can help you out. I think Redline charges 1 bowl of pho per hour and Rage just 1 bowl per hour.

Rage also has a wideband o2 meter. you have to get your own sensor though. Actually, I think if you talk to Nelson (Tunerworks) he may rent out his wideband.

Other than that, I don't know.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

I would talk with nelson if i was you.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by redline
    I would talk with nelson if i was you.
    I think Nelson would do a house call, super cool guy. Tunerworks shop rates are fairly high $70/hour! Yikes!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Cayenne TT

You get what you pay for!!!

If you are really brave (and patient) Hondata has some pretty good tech articles on how to tune. They are geared towards the Hondata of course but I can't imagine the AEM unit being too different. It would be a good starting point anyways, if you want to do it cheap. Just do that and rent/borrow a lambda meter.

My Ride
    SKYLINE GTR ,AE86, memories of a turbo 2000 lude

hmmm theres that name that i knew would pop up.well he must be good then.but honestly i want to know what a person is doing to my car and understanding it so that i can someday i can be a super tuner like this nelson fella.how about the one they call rage how would one get a hold of the apprentice who is soon to become tha master??????

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I can help with a fuel curve if you get a Wideband O2 setup (rent Tunerworks' unit).

I'm still not an expert in spark tuning. Just using my ears to hear for knock and dialing timing back a bit... not the safest way really. I also don't posess the art of getting the best compromise between boost/timing to get the most power... but that's one of the last things to worry about to get the last 10 or 20hp =).
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Ignition timing...<shudder> That is something that I don't even want to think about.

I was just thinking about this last night....The Hondata has this cool feature that if you hook up a wideband o2 sensor to your car (I mean plugged into your ECU) you can choose thing feature that you can just type in the A/F you want, say 12.5, then go for a little drive. It will then suggest the changes you have to make to obtain that A/F. You should check and see if the AEM unit has a similar feature, I'm sure that it does. You may need a pretty good base map to start with though, I'm not sure.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

The AEM is more of a true standalone vs the hondata. The base maps are not that good and you will have trouble getting the car to run. Some people on other boards have spent like 10 hours just trying to get the car to start with an AEM unit. I wish you luck with that project. Make sure you got a good laptop and a lot of patinence and make sure you can be without your car for a few days.

How big of injectors are you going to run?

good luck with your project.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Yea, getting the car to start in the first place is a job and a half. It took me about 2 hours to get a reliable start, and another few days of tweaking in -30C weather for the cold start fuel compenstation maps.

Does the AEM have a nice knob to dial in extra or less fuel to help tuning? Or do we have to plug in data, test and repeat?

Originally posted by B18C
    I was just thinking about this last night....The Hondata has this cool feature that if you hook up a wideband o2 sensor to your car (I mean plugged into your ECU) you can choose thing feature that you can just type in the A/F you want, say 12.5, then go for a little drive. It will then suggest the changes you have to make to obtain that A/F.
    The TECIII was supposed to ship with this feature but it never happened. Supposedly coming in a later upgrade. It's not that big of a deal really, once you get the car running, with a Wideband O2 and datalog, you'll be able to dial in 12.5:1 ratio in a matter of minutes.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

i think AEM EMS has a knock sensor option. you might want to look into this because you can't always hear detonation if you have a loud exahust.

TEC3 systems start at almost double of what the AEM EMS cost.

Talking RCTS

There is this guy in town that just opened up a shop in town. He has been Supra Turbo Guru and has accomplishments to prove it. His shop has a state of the art dyno with a wide band O2 sensor too. HKS, Dinan, Techtom distributor. I don't know how good he is with a Honda but he definately knows his Toyota. He's kind of expensive too but check him out, he has a lot of knowledge.

Peace