Quantcast
Help me plan my road trip :: Calgary - Vancouver - San Fran - Sandiego - Vegas - Home - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help me plan my road trip :: Calgary - Vancouver - San Fran - Sandiego - Vegas - Home

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

Default Help me plan my road trip :: Calgary - Vancouver - San Fran - Sandiego - Vegas - Home

Whats up beyond,

I'm planning a road trip .. just want to hit the highway and drive, I have a 4 day weekend spanning Mar 25 through 28 so I'm going to leave on March 24 and plan to return April 3. (11days)

So, I'm asking if anybodys game for tagging along or if anybody can give suggestions on sites to see. As far as traffic violations, I've heard so long as you pay the ticket (accross the border) you don't receive demerits on your record in Calgary .. this true?

It's going to be a LOT of driving, heres my plan so far ::

Thursday March 24 : Depart Calgary 6AM
    Destination: Vancouver BC. ETA 5 or 6pm (12hours driving) Depending on the highway conditions. I'm hoping to meetup with some Vancouverpreludeclub.com members and maybe have a mini Prelude meet. I really want to check out the night life and club scene in Van. Can't stay out too too late though, need sleep for another big day of driving.

Sleeping at (TBA)

Friday March 25 : Depart Vancouver 9am
    Destination: 6pm Coos Bay, Oregon (9-10hours driving)
    I heard Coos Bay is a cool little surf town on the coast. I'll be taking highway 101, its a big longer than I5 but I want the scenary and windy roads. Majority of this trip will be spent going directly down the west coast from Vancouver forward. Coos Bay, I want to go surfing for a couple of hours before I head on down to San Fran .. this is where my trip isn't quite planned .. Temperature says +12 degrees high is the regular for April 1, probably too chilly to do some surfing, we'll see..

Sleeping at (TBA)

** Not entirely planned from here **

Saturday March 26: Depart Coos bay.
    Destination: ?San Francisco? I'm hitting a couple of the message boards (bayareaprelude.com preludeonline.com socalprelude.com) to help me finalize the rest of the trip.

Sunday - check out Norcal, napa, golden gate bridge?
    Monday - A bit more sight seeing, .. not sure where, gotta get some surfing in somewhere .. maybe socal, maybe tomorrow..
    Tuesday, goto Socal. see beverly hills, la, hollywood?
    Wednesday, Long beach, Orange County, San Diego
    Thursday VEGAS BABY!
    Friday VEGAS BABY! - goto grand canyon?
    Saturday - NV / Grand Canyon to somewhere between there and home.. (North Lip)
    Sunday - Last stretch home.

I'll just edit this post as I get more details ....

Any thoughts? Anybody wanting to tag along?
    DannyO

Oh yea, I also met Doris..

if you don't go until LFW I'll go haha.

Be careful around Revelstoke in BC. I go to/from Vancouver a few times a year and only ever run into RCMP there.

My Ride
    91 PP1 - 93 EH6 - 01 BB6

Sounds like a fun trip! Be careful between Kamloops and Hope (#5 paytoll highway) the cops wait at the tolls and pull people over for absolutely nothing, give tickets for everything, and generally are in great moods because of all the money they are raking in. I wouldnt recommend the #1 all the way to Van unless the roads are in excellent condition - if they are though, thats the way to go for some amazing scenery + twisty mountain roads(takes longer though).

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

buh_buh, when is LFW? the biggest reason I'm scheduleing this trip is because I have a 4 day weekend I can take advantage of. Whats to stop me from doing this AND doing LFW ?? then when I check LFW I'll know people

primer_drift: what do you recommend for taking to Vancouver then ?? Id love to save time, I've been through the mountains a lot to shuswap etc. Twisty roads are great but I'm not exactly going at prime time ...

I've been using mapquest to chart out all of my trip so far ... just a b** getting to to work on the 101 because it keeps wanting to use I5 ... (once in USA that is)
    DannyO

I think sometime in May or June? I think it might be in Vegas this year, so it would be worth it to check it out!

My Ride
    toyota MR2

yah im thinking of going on a road trip to vegas but not till the weather warms up alot so let me know how it goes!

Why not skip Vancouver and just go straight to Oregon through the US? Doesnt seem that you will be doing much in Vancouver anyways.

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

I dont want to do the mainland, I want to drive along the coast.. highway 101 is the main plan. I'd save time but ... yaaawn .. boring. I'll be driving back up through the mainland on the way home, should be good.
    DannyO

My Ride
    toyota MR2

and some good mountain routes travelled them amanyatimes

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

thinmyster: Tell me some good scenic routes to drive and places I should visit along my travels. One place I know in Oregon is the sea lion caves .. gotta take pics of them crazy seals.
    DannyO

My Ride
    91 PP1 - 93 EH6 - 01 BB6

Originally posted by yohan4ws
    what do you recommend for taking to Vancouver then ?? Id love to save time, I've been through the mountains a lot to shuswap etc. Twisty roads are great but I'm not exactly going at prime time ...
    To save some time, just take the #5 at kamloops. Just be sure you have all your documents in order. I assume your car is pretty clean, so it shouldn't be a problem - just watch your speed through there

My Ride
    toyota MR2

ill try and post up when i remember id have to bust out a map

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

I have done this exact trip, however it was reversed.

Calgary > Yellowstone > Phoenix > Vegas > San Diego, Tiajuana > Disney Land > then up the cost on US101 which RULES! > Portland > Seattle > Ferry to Victoria > Tofino > Nanaimo Ferry to Vancouver > Penticton > Calgary.

17 Days, 12000km.

The thing about the US101 is that between june and September it's POACKED with people in slow ass RV's which 100% ruins the whole driving experience. Nothing like seeing the sign that says "S next 20 Miles" and being stuck behind a 50 foot RV going 30 miles under the limit.

As for fastest way to Vancouver. (less than 1000km)

Made the trip in just under 8 hours this summer going highway1, Banff > Golden > Revelstoke > Salmon Arm > Kamloops > Merrit > Hope > Vancouver.

We were going rather fast tho.

This is IMO the best way to go...however I highly suggest trying to get into Vancouver at any time OTHER than between 2pm and 7 pm, as the highway is bumper to bumper for about 30km.
    Travel

My Ride
    V167

highway 101 = crazy scenery, possibly the best drive EVAR

My Ride
    00 GTS

Dude, good plan! I've been wanting to do a road trip like that for years. If you want a tail, i'm in.

My Ride
    94 Teg

wait till august and go to seema in vegas
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

SEMA is invite only

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

sillyd, PM me if you're serious about this. we'll have to catch a beer in town first though for sure so we know we wont be hatin on eachother.

sneaky: I wish I could get an invite to Sema , I'd so do both ... going ot vegas.. 2 days there, or go 2ppl 1 car and do it in the ful 23 hours one stretch.
    DannyO

My Ride
    Cavy, MX-6 Turbo

How much this trip going to cost (on ave) I have been planning on taking a long trip but can't figure out the cost's and what not.

anything more then a handfull is a waste.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast