Quantcast
7MGTE engine Swap - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 7MGTE engine Swap

My Ride
    1.8T Bora Beast

Default 7MGTE engine Swap

Hey everyone,

the Jettas been great, but Im looking for something new. Just doing some research right now and the 87ish supra has me very interested. I was just wonder, if I wanted to do a swap like this could I start with a non-turbo shell? Is the Swap hard, could I do it myself? has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanx

Aly

My Ride
    cv6monaro

what type of swap are you talking bout give some more infomation and i'll get back to you
    and help where i can
    you want the truth you cant handle the truth

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

the swap information is there if you read it...

he would like to swap in a 7M-GTE into a car that only had a 7M-GE...

Aly, the swap is not difficult, but having said that...once you get all the shit you need together...it would have been more prudent to just start off with a Turbo MKIII to begin with...

I say keep your jetta, and finish that project off first...then move onto a new one...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    1.8T Bora Beast

Thanx dude,

The Jetta is great and all, but Im very constricted with what I can do with it, being that its a reatively new car and still under warrenty and a daily driver. Having a project car would allow me the freedom to do whatever I wanted to it without worrying about getting to work/school. Also I would be able to do work myself and learn how, which would be nice.

In my understanding a Supra turbo is about 5-6 grand in good condition. I can get a na Supra for 1500 bucks, and an engine abour 920 canadian with ECU, Harness, and tranny from JDM source. So all together thats 2620 bucks, thats cheaper then any turbo supra ive found thats a mark III. Im sure Im missing something however since im reallly new at this.

My Ride
    1989 Toyota Supra Turbo

Yeah the choice is yours but I for one would just start with the turbo supra.

If your gonna do the swap then I would suggest getting the turbo motor and rebuild it, thus saving a lot of headaches in the future and allowing you to really up the boost!

The swap itself its not overerly hard but it's not simple either, especially if you have never done the swap before.

Make sure to do your research and figure out all your possible paths to tackle this before you make a decision!

Jason
    [imghttp://www.ubersupra.com/misc/logo1.gif[/img]
    Jay Ferguson
    [email protected]
    403.291.5646 local
    877.CMS.7222 toll free

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by Cedrick
    Thanx dude,

The Jetta is great and all, but Im very constricted with what I can do with it, being that its a reatively new car and still under warrenty and a daily driver. Having a project car would allow me the freedom to do whatever I wanted to it without worrying about getting to work/school. Also I would be able to do work myself and learn how, which would be nice.

In my understanding a Supra turbo is about 5-6 grand in good condition. I can get a na Supra for 1500 bucks, and an engine abour 920 canadian with ECU, Harness, and tranny from JDM source. So all together thats 2620 bucks, thats cheaper then any turbo supra ive found thats a mark III. Im sure Im missing something however since im reallly new at this.

Aly, its not just about the shell and the motor...you will need all these lil things that will pop up...Intercooler, plumbing for said intercooler, a different radiator, oil cooler (IIRC), perhaps an LSD Diff as I don't think all MKIII's came LSD equipped from Toyota...

these little things do add up...trust me I know...

Arif.
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    1.8T Bora Beast

Thanx for the advice guys, I think Ill do a little bit more research before I do anything :p

See you saturday Amitha! haha

Thanx again everyone.