Quantcast
Law on car DVD players - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Law on car DVD players

My Ride
    Mercedes

Default Law on car DVD players

Hey guys, just want someone to please clear up the law in Alberta about having an in-dash DVD player in your car. I have heard many different stories.. Some say they are illegal unless it is a show car, some say legal only when parked, and some say they are legal as long as the screen isnt facing the driver. Can someone please clear this up for me and everyone else wondering the same thing? Thanks

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

as long as the driver can't see the screen its not illegal...if the driver can see the screen then it has to be only playable in park. Showcar stuff has no truth what so ever, can have it in any car.

but super easy to defeat that system, just don't connect the parking wire and ur screen will work all the time...althought it can be illegal, who is going to see it

I received a ticket for having a screen back in the days when I got pulled over every two weeks for absolutely no reason.

The actual law in the highway traffic act used in my citation was pretty damn vague as to what is allowed so it really comes down to each officer issuing a ticket. I believe it refers to any "video device". I am too lazy to look it up.

I fought mine because my screen was displaying music information, album, track, time elapsed, etc etc just like any deck would.

After a quick 20 second explanation (after waiting like 30 minutes) the crown stamped it "CROWN WITHDRAWS" or something to that effect.
    ---

My Ride
    Mercedes

Thanks for the quick responses guys. The only thing I am scared of, is having a cop pull up beside me at a light, without me noticing, and having him see my dvd player on. If anyone else has any stories about their experiences, feel free to share.

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

ive never had a problem, i got pulled over and the officer commented on my deck(i put it down after he pulled me over but he had seen it already)

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

ermm, dont some nicer cars/hybrid cars have a screen in dash tahts easily see-able by the driver?, how is that allowed but an installed dvd deck not?, thats messed...

My Ride
    Mercedes

laws are different if its used for navigation purposes and not for playing games and movies on the screen.