Quantcast
Crossing the border?? Help me out!! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Crossing the border?? Help me out!!

My Ride
    G35x

Default Crossing the border?? Help me out!!

Here's the dilema:

I need to drive my Aunt's car from california to calgary. My Aunt lives in Kali and the car is registered in her name. I was told by Customs that it is illegal for a Canadian resident to drive a US resident's car across the border without them present. She cannot be present because circumstances will not allow this. She will be flying here instead.

I have considered purchasing the car from her and selling it back to her in calgary but I do not want to suffer the inconvenience's of duties, inspections, fillin out tonens of forms etc. I am under the assumption the duty fees are hefty, unless someone can tell me otherwise??

Does anyone know a way around this??? Or have any helpful suggestions??? I need to get this car across the border without her present??

Thanks in advance.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

nope, there is no way around it. It doesn't work the other way either. If you have an american friend driving south, they would get stopped as well.

You would have to buy the car from her.

Is she moving here?

The other option is to have someone else drive her to the boarder when you arrive and cross with you. the 4 hour drive south is way less than the 20 hours it will take from southern cali to get to the montana boarder.

What about just shipping the car here?

My Ride
    pedals

get her to fly to seattle or somewhere near the border. drive across and she can hope westjet to calgary or come along for the ride

My Ride
    G35x

^^ Some pretty good ideas above. I'm not gonna ship it cuz I was hoping to do the drive, and stop in Vegas for a few nights.

Damn I was really hoping there would be some sort of form that could be signed by a notiry or something.

My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH

stop short of the border, and have it towed across by a garage?

Edit: an american tow truck may be allowed to come into canada to retrieve an american vehicle???? just an idea.

A friend of mine had a similar dilema last year. He works in the states, and was taking a family vehicle down with him. The ownership was transfered to him, but he wasn't going to be able to register it until he got back to Seattle. We ended up taking two cars down, so that the previous owner of the vehicle could drive it across the boarder.

However, we were never asked for registration, neither was the other driver. How many drivers have had their registration checked when crossing the border? They'll check your passport, but personally I cannot recall a time when the vehicle registration was asked for.

Maybe you just need to go to a not so busy border crossing? Less hassles it seems.
    heloc that shit

Cross at Del Bonita... you'll have no problems.

My Ride
    '21 F150 Lariat Nardo Grey

Originally posted by lint

However, we were never asked for registration, neither was the other driver. How many drivers have had their registration checked when crossing the border? They'll check your passport, but personally I cannot recall a time when the vehicle registration was asked for.

The only problem I see is if badseed was at the border, and they notice a lone Canadian citizen driving a car with California plates. They would think something fishy is going on.

My Ride
    G35x

Originally posted by CRXguy

The only problem I see is if badseed was at the border, and they notice a lone Canadian citizen driving a car with California plates. They would think something fishy is going on.
    Werd, plus I'm Asian so odds are against me(just my opinion).

Some good suggestions and shit but to tell you the truth it aint's lookin so good. Circumstances will not allow my aunt to meet me at the border and I ain't riskin driving all the way back to LA.

Thanks anyway.

32V-V8 is offline Banned - Zero Tolerance on Satellite Piracy
    My Ride
    Car/Bike

Ah the race card

Fly her to Kalispell, pick her up and come across at Coutts or whatever it is. From there its 3 hours to Calgary. There is a flight from LAX to Salt Lake and a connection from Salt Lake to Kalispell every day.

My Ride
    92SiR, 05B5G, 89KA24

are the duties on the value of the car or what you paid for it, if so write up something that says you bought the car for 100$ insure it.. with you current company of course... drive it across with your old registration

32V-V8 is offline Banned - Zero Tolerance on Satellite Piracy
    My Ride
    Car/Bike

That wont work, because they have a red-book value of the vehicle to prevent that from happening.

Originally posted by badseed

Werd, plus I'm Asian so odds are against me(just my opinion).

Some good suggestions and shit but to tell you the truth it aint's lookin so good. Circumstances will not allow my aunt to meet me at the border and I ain't riskin driving all the way back to LA.

Thanks anyway.
    thats true man, sad but true...... one time my FAMILY, had the inside of our car inspected when we were crossing the border
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info