Quantcast
Contours - lots of pics - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Contours - lots of pics

My Ride
    Brick Type R, SC AW11, Alcyone

Yeah I don't see too many SVT contour's but they are pretty eye catching even stock. Not bad but I do hear stories about good ol' Ford quality in those vehicles..
    omgwtfbbq

My Ride
    evird I tahW

I don't like any of those,
    but I'm not you,
    so go nuts.

Originally posted by Toms-Celica
    If its a true SVT, put a Vortech S/C on it or do a 3.0L drop in. Im a big Mercury Cougar fan.
    I fail to see why anyone would put a 3.0 into one. First of all, no SVTs came with auto tranny, and the new 3.0 duratech only mates to an automatic, secondly, the SVT tweaked 2.5 and stock 3.0 duratech have even torque and HP, @ 200. I don't know if the 3.0 duratech has variable intake runners like the 2.5, but probably not, so the 2.5 probably has a flatter curve.

And if you were referring to swapping in a 3.0 vulcan, than that would be a big no-no. This engine has a pushrod valvetrain, doesn't rev high at all, and is probably the least technologically advanced engine still in production. not to mention the SEVERE lack of aftermarket for this engine. HP and tq fall off at 150 and 165, respectively.

Not bad but I do hear stories about good ol' Ford quality in those vehicles.
    Engine is mazda.

I love the SVT contours, I wish they were in my price range. I'd take one and leave it bone stock.
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

My Ride
    91 Civic

Originally posted by Ranger_X31

I fail to see why anyone would put a 3.0 into one. First of all, no SVTs came with auto tranny, and the new 3.0 duratech only mates to an automatic, secondly, the SVT tweaked 2.5 and stock 3.0 duratech have even torque and HP, @ 200. I don't know if the 3.0 duratech has variable intake runners like the 2.5, but probably not, so the 2.5 probably has a flatter curve.

And if you were referring to swapping in a 3.0 vulcan, than that would be a big no-no. This engine has a pushrod valvetrain, doesn't rev high at all, and is probably the least technologically advanced engine still in production. not to mention the SEVERE lack of aftermarket for this engine. HP and tq fall off at 150 and 165, respectively.

Alright, the 3.0L swaps come out of a Tauraus. People do them for many reasons that I'll never really come to understand, but some of the better ones have been Supercharged. I don't know if you have any issues of SCC but Ford made a mule out of one of the Cougars by putting a 3.0L motor, SVT heads and added a Vortech S/C. They put out 290 HP. Just check out fastcougar.com for more information about the whole issue.
    Originally posted by Ridelikeme

preludes are definately not slow.. they are the corvettes of the honda 4cylinder world..they float

I never used to like them until I went for a ride in a stock SVT. Ever since then I've been in love

Still plan on getting one sometime soon, great price, great sleeper looks, great power and handling, and a great engine sound to boot

I could post pics all day but I'll just bore you with a few
    BTW, if they end up being red X's, let me know...I'm kinda half expecting them to

[img]
    http://genji.image.pbase.com/u22/hee...76571.Svt7.jpg[/img]

Bastard picture hoster...just go here if you really want to see them Last 4 pictures

Originally posted by Toms-Celica

Alright, the 3.0L swaps come out of a Tauraus. People do them for many reasons that I'll never really come to understand, but some of the better ones have been Supercharged. I don't know if you have any issues of SCC but Ford made a mule out of one of the Cougars by putting a 3.0L motor, SVT heads and added a Vortech S/C. They put out 290 HP. Just check out fastcougar.com for more information about the whole issue.
    In canada, the 3.0 duratec isn't even offered in the taurus, only way you can get them here is to pull them out of an escape/tribute. Not very feasible. It may have been an old SHO 3.0L, which had 200 hp as well. That would be a beefed up vulcan bottom end but a yamaha top end. And SVT heads for a 3L? I wasn't aware they made them for any 3L. There is no 3L supercharger kit from vortech, only kenne bell, but maybe the 2.5 one can be adapted easily onto the 3.0 duratec. I know for the vulcan, there's maybe 1 or 2 guys out of a few thousand on rangerpowersports.com who have adapted a 4.0L vortech s/c onto the 3L with help from SHO internals, not an easy job.

edit: been checking through some FAQs on the site you posted. Still seems like a waste of time, especially up here in canada. The std tranny can be used apparently by using some 2.5 parts on the 3.0. Oh, and since compression jumps to 11:1 after the swap, I sure as hell wouldn't want to throw a blower on. The SVT tweaked 2.5 is a nice powerplant, and you have lots of info out there and aftermarket to really get em going cause of the probe, so fok the 3L
    Last edited by T5_X; 01-02-2003 at 11:32 PM.

Default The ST24 is the best obviously

even as stock

Default England has the best ones

In canada, the 3.0 duratec isn't even offered in the taurus, only way you can get them here is to pull them out of an escape/tribute.
    Actually it is available in the Taurus in Canada. I sold Fords last summer, and the Duratec was always the big seller because it offered more power, less weight, and the same gas milage as the Vulcan.

The base LX is Vulcan only (155 hp), SE Standard is Vulcan only, SE Premium is Duratec (200hp), SEL and SES are Duratec as well. The Vulcan engine is actually slowly phasing out, the Duratec is better than it in every way, with the exception that it's more expensive...and that's the only reason the Vulcan still exists.

Lol, just now noticed the "Attach File option..."
    Attached Images Attached Images  

another

New 17" SVT Focus rims on one

And finally, a real SVT behind an older style SE with SVT rims

Originally posted by Heep

Actually it is available in the Taurus in Canada. I sold Fords last summer, and the Duratec was always the big seller because it offered more power, less weight, and the same gas milage as the Vulcan.

The base LX is Vulcan only (155 hp), SE Standard is Vulcan only, SE Premium is Duratec (200hp), SEL and SES are Duratec as well. The Vulcan engine is actually slowly phasing out, the Duratec is better than it in every way, with the exception that it's more expensive...and that's the only reason the Vulcan still exists.
    Hrrm, I remember distinctly visiting ford canada website last year, and taking to a person at ford and they said that the vulcan is the only engine. Must be pretty new here though, cause the US has had it since 96 I believe. Anyway, the new ford canada website does in fact say the duratec is an option for 02 and 03.

The duratec is better than the vulcan in every way, I hate the vulcan. The engine is still dirt cheap to produce though and the 3L is the number one engine option in the ranger. The duratec wouldn't do well in the ranger though cause there's no truck transmission to mate to it, the mazda std one doesnt bolt up. And its for front drive cars with an auto tranny, not rear drive trucks (the escape is much more car like than truck like) The vulcan still exists because ford are a bunch of cheap bastards and they can get away with it cause the average consumer doesn't know any better. I heard a rumor that there's a new family of duratecs in inline 4 5 and 6 cyls that will replace the 3L and 4L, but I wouldn't be surprised if the current vulcan and SOHC 4L stay in for another 3 years or so.

The vulcan still exists because ford are a bunch of cheap bastards and they can get away with it cause the average consumer doesn't know any better. I heard a rumor that there's a new family of duratecs in inline 4 5 and 6 cyls that will replace the 3L and 4L, but I wouldn't be surprised if the current vulcan and SOHC 4L stay in for another 3 years or so.
    Well, at least they're not as far back in the stone age as GM! If you buy a brand new Cavalier without power mirrors, the passenger side one doesn't even have an adjustment joystick, you have to get someone to stand there and poke the mirror around until it's set right

Originally posted by Zephyr
    uhh which one is ur car?

The very first pic, the one in the field

Thanks for the good feedback guys

Dave P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2