Quantcast
Maintenance Costs 1992 325i? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Maintenance Costs 1992 325i?

Default Maintenance Costs 1992 325i?

I'm looking at a 4 door 325i from 1992, seems to be in quite good condition other than the 240k clicks on it (is this a reasonable number of clicks for this car, or should I look somewhere else?). What I am wondering is how expensive is the upkeep on a BMW? A lot more than other more standard cars? Does it take a long time to get parts? I suppose I should also mention that the price is $6000. No rust, no problems with paint, everything "looks" fine.
    Regards,
    -Tom
    i own you all

My Ride
    03' Audi A4 Quattro

I would get the car thoroughly checked out because parts are pertty expensive. I had a 95 318i and parts were pretty expensive. The labour was also more expensive because it was a lot tougher and took longer to get at certain areas in the engine bay compared to a smaller more basic import car. Your car will be a bit worse because it's the 325 which has a lot more power than the 318.

IMO I would look around a bit more. If you look around enough, you'll be able to find a 325 or 328 with a lot less kms on it for only a grand or two more. Good choice with the E36 though!

My Ride
    '15 GTI

92s are the odd ones in the bunch, no vanos on the 325 model, and they have a few unique parts that later e36 parts are not interchangable with

hmmm....is this BMW dark blue, fully loaded w/ leather, sunroof etc?

just wondering cuz it could be parents old one...

either way, like they said, parts do have to be ordered in, average costs are pretty expensive

ex: had heater blower motor replaced, and because of the amount of parts that had to be taken out i think it was a several (arond 600) hundred dollar bill

who knows, maybe it is the same car, and if so, the clutch was replaced, and it has been babied

Nope, It's white, and in edmonton... but thanks for all the replies folks... helps me get an idea of what I may or may not be getting into.
    -Tom
    i own you all

My Ride
    Germanrific - 1/4/5/6/A/C/E/R

Do you want a BMW that bad that you're willing to buy one with that high of km's? I say spend more and find one with less km.

My Ride
    E36 M3

I have a 325 IS and have put $3000 into it in the last 2 months....NOT because things desperately needed replacing, but because I am trying to get it as close to perfect as I can.

Tranny Cooler-$885
    Front Wheel Bearings-$825
    Trans Filter Kit-$72
    Fog Lamp-$243
    O-Rings, bulbs, dust cap, Axle Nut-$25
    Headlight Wahser jet-$250
    Telescope-$77
    Wiper Blades-$65
    Coolant Flush/New Coolant-$105

Plus some other odds and ends. That includes labour.

Hope this gives you an idea of the cost of repairs.....

Some info I picked up when I bought my 92 325i:

Early fuel pumps were designed using fuel from the tank to cool the pump motor. If the car is run too long below 1/4 tank, these motors tend to burn out. This is an expensive repair involving a lot of labor (rear seat removal and carpets pulled up).

Original water pumps used a plastic impeller. These were known to break, causing pieces to enter the cooling system. Make sure a pump with a metal impeller was installed.

Ignition coils (Zundspule) were know to be defective in 92. If there is a rough idle under heavy engine load, there may be a few defective coils. Replacement Bosch coils retail for ~130 CAD each from the dealer.
    Recall: Alldata, Bulletin #12 02 92 (3506)

Alldata Service Bulletins & Recalls
    Last edited by Willis; 03-21-2005 at 04:34 PM.