Quantcast
Downtown Calgary Parking - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Downtown Calgary Parking

My Ride
    Bikeless, for the moment.......

Default Downtown Calgary Parking

I am going to start riding my bike to work when the weather cooperates, can anyone tell me about free parking areas downtown. FiveFreshFish mentioned it in a post once, but I need to know where they are????????????

My Ride
    Import

What area of downtown are you looking for?

My Ride

I work around 8th ave and 8th street SW..............aa

free parking downtown is non-existant, but i believe it is free after 6pm. you might be lucky to find a 15 minute loading zone during the day. reserved sports go for $175+ a month. be careful where you do park as the tow truck drivers are like fucking sharks.
    Last edited by rmk; 03-18-2005 at 10:33 AM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by rmk
    free parking downtown is non-existant. you might be lucky to find a 15 minute loading zone. reserved sports go for $175+ a month.
    He is talking about parking a bike.

I know that there are a lot of bikes that park on the side of a building on 7th and 9th.

do you work in a building? sometimes they have a locked section underground for the bikes. make sure its in a well traveled area so nobody fcks with it.

My Ride

Just a little update for RMK, and anybody else, I am talking about parking my motorcycle, not a bicycle, not a car, not a rickshaw, etc............aa

My Ride
    Import

I use to work at the Atco buildings on 8th street and 11 ave. They have a little parking lot on the side and in the one corner of it ( on the corner of 9 street and 11 ave) there is a space that is just gravel, when I rode I parked there and someone else that works there and rides parked their bikes there too. You can't park a car there because of the way the lot is set up and no one ever said anything to me or made me move. The other guys bike is there almost every day in the summer. Plus the atco security people walk the lot, you could probably park there and not be bothered, as long as you don't bother anyone else. In the winter though they plow the snow in that area so sometimes it takes a while to melt. Also all along 9th street it is 2 and in one spot beside the private school 3 hour parking, if you are vigilant about checking your bike for chalk or moving it you could park there as well.

Motorcycle parking isnt free downtown. Most of the buildings will require a permit to park in the designated motorcycle parking areas. In order to get a permit you need to work in the building and from what I know from othe buildings they arent free either.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Yeah, the damn parking authority stopped people from parking under the centre street bridge. Like that space is used for anything else.

My Ride
    Import

Originally posted by sputnik
    Motorcycle parking isnt free downtown. Most of the buildings will require a permit to park in the designated motorcycle parking areas. In order to get a permit you need to work in the building and from what I know from othe buildings they arent free either.
    The atco building does not require a pass for the outside lot, the spaces are numbered and people just complain if you are in their spot and you move or get towed. The spot in the corner of the lot I am referring to is not actually designated for motorcycle parking, it is just a small bare gravel space that a car can not park in due to the way the lot is laid out and how the cement barriers are positioned. There is a gap about three feet wide between the two barriers and the spot would hold about three bikes. The security lets people park their bike there since they can not use the space for anything else. I didn't have any problems and someone else parks his bike there every day in the summer. The only thing I would suggest is perhaps bring something flat and sturdy to put your kickstand on, it was a bit soft when I parked there and the stand sunk in a little. Check it out on your lunch break if you work near by. Beats parking on the street as my car got several rubs, bumps, dents during my time parking in that area. The space is fenced off from the sidewalk and there are cement barriers around it so your bike would not be hit by a car. Was just a thought.

Aaron, check your PM.

There is free parking downtown Calgary for motorbikes but you have to get there early. Very early!