Quantcast
Alberta Colleges seeking degree granting status - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alberta Colleges seeking degree granting status

Default Alberta Colleges seeking degree granting status

Does anyone know the list of Alberta colleges seeking degree granting status? I know of Grant Macewan College in Edmonton and Mount Royal College in Calgary, but I was wondering if any others were pursuing bachelor degree granting status.

I believe that SAIT might fit into that group. Read about it in the Weal, but I'm not too confident about the validity of the Weal's journalism.

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

theres not enough funding for the existing universities, i think this is dumb

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Employer: "Which university did you graduate from?"

You: "The Mount Royal University"

Employer: "WTF FOO, where the hell is that? You mean the colledge?"

You: "Its a university now "

sorry no clue but i think its lame as hell, they can't even run one university in calgary normally cuz of budget, how the hell are they going to run 2! mind you they would be repeating courses which is a complete waist of resources

My Ride
    the bandwagon!

Originally posted by eblend
    Employer: "Which university did you graduate from?"

You: "The Mount Royal University"

Employer: "WTF FOO, where the hell is that? You mean the colledge?"

You: "Its a university now "

sorry no clue but i think its lame as hell, they can't even run one university in calgary normally cuz of budget, how the hell are they going to run 2! mind you they would be repeating courses which is a complete waist of resources
    hahah, worrd! even if mount royal gets their status, i don't think any degree will fully be recognized, i have no fucking idea how they will fund two uni's in calgary, University of Calgary can't fund its own problems, all you see in the school paper is the cutbacks and teachers getting fired, the place is already a shit hole! whats the point of two uni's in calgary! HONESTLY, if you don't get into ucalgary, then why bother staying in calgary.

I know many of you probably don't like what im saying, buttt do you honeslty believe there is a need for both schools?

My Ride
    toyota MR2

from what all my buddies tell me about their courses at mount royal they're all a joke ( but impretty sure its just their program so dont attck me). but he's under the impression that when he graduates that he'll have a degree? im like they're not just going to give you a degree cause they switched your last semester. but whatever i dont think it will happen regardless

My Ride
    Kompressor

If the colleges are given university status, the degrees might be recognized in Alberta only!

Sorta like Devry. Their bachelor degrees are only recognized in this province. Outside of Alberta, it's no different from a tech diploma from Sait.

My Ride
    You Crazy

It's a good idea because at least the U of C is run with such wastage and beurocracy.... it is completely inefficeinet and a waste of tax payer and tuition payers money.

Granting the colleges the degree granting status ought to bring costs back in line.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

but does anyone actually want to graduate from mount royal and get a degree there? not to offend anyone but many people go to mount royal because they don't have the grades to make it into university right away, many ppl eventually transfer to university once they get a good gpa due to easier classes at mount royal. I have a few friends who go to mount royal and their classes are seriously a joke, and all they tell me is their gpa is going up so they can finally transfer.

My Ride
    ED-7

don't ppl going to MRC get marks just for attending class?
    yah, i heard programs at SAIT and MRC are pretty slack.
    Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    I swear he was thrown into the ditch by the VTEC sonic boom.

NAIT is going to be offerring degree's - it's already been given the green light for one degree, and they are working on getting another setup.

Originally posted by 2002civic
    theres not enough funding for the existing universities, i think this is dumb
    Considering some of the degrees they will be offerring aren't offerred at the current university's how is that dumb?

Perhaps educate yourself on the issue before speaking.

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by kiwi
    If the colleges are given university status, the degrees might be recognized in Alberta only!

Sorta like Devry. Their bachelor degrees are only recognized in this province. Outside of Alberta, it's no different from a tech diploma from Sait.
    No. If the colleges are granded university status, the degrees will be recognized all over Canada.

Devry has no recognition within Alberta or anywhere else.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    03' Audi A4 Quattro

Originally posted by thinmyster
    from what all my buddies tell me about their courses at mount royal they're all a joke ( but impretty sure its just their program so dont attck me). but he's under the impression that when he graduates that he'll have a degree? im like they're not just going to give you a degree cause they switched your last semester. but whatever i dont think it will happen regardless
    Your buddy is probably getting an applied degree because it's impossible for him to get a bachelor at Mount Royal.

I'm going to vouch for Mount Royal. I think it's a great school. Out of High School I had the marks to get into business at U of C but opted to go to Mount Royal because of location, tuition cost and class sizes. Some of the classes that I've taken have been tough like stats, accounting etc. for my BCOMM so generalizing that "Mount Royal" classes are easy is fuckin stupid. Obviously a lot of people go to Mount Royal to raise their GPA so of course the college is going to offer come easy classes but that doesn't mean the whole college is like that.

I think that getting bachelor degree status for Mount Royal would be good for some. Some people really like business but it's tough to get into at some Universities depending on the competitive GPA. For a lot of employers, it doesn't matter where you get your Undergrad degree. Graduate and Masters are a different story. I'm not saying that a Mount Royal degree is the way to go for everybody (sure as hell not me?!) but it may be a good option for some.

My Ride

Originally posted by TrevorK

Considering some of the degrees they will be offerring aren't offerred at the current university's how is that dumb?

Perhaps educate yourself on the issue before speaking.
    What degree's will they be offering that Universities won't?

My Ride

and on a side note where is this funding going to come from since there is already 3 universities fighting for the little money that is available and all there are complaining, maybe you could educate me on what they'll do about that as well

My Ride
    Germanrific - 1/4/5/6/A/C/E/R

Originally posted by SteveMo600

Your buddy is probably getting an applied degree because it's impossible for him to get a bachelor at Mount Royal.

I'm going to vouch for Mount Royal. I think it's a great school. Out of High School I had the marks to get into business at U of C but opted to go to Mount Royal because of location, tuition cost and class sizes. Some of the classes that I've taken have been tough like stats, accounting etc. for my BCOMM so generalizing that "Mount Royal" classes are easy is fuckin stupid. Obviously a lot of people go to Mount Royal to raise their GPA so of course the college is going to offer come easy classes but that doesn't mean the whole college is like that.

I think that getting bachelor degree status for Mount Royal would be good for some. Some people really like business but it's tough to get into at some Universities depending on the competitive GPA. For a lot of employers, it doesn't matter where you get your Undergrad degree. Graduate and Masters are a different story. I'm not saying that a Mount Royal degree is the way to go for everybody (sure as hell not me?!) but it may be a good option for some.
    Someone correct me here, but isn't the big flaw with the transfer program that if you don't get the 3.7 or whatever haskayne wants for transfer students, and you don't even meet the lowest entrance grade (lets say the actual entnrance gpa is 3.4) then you're screwed???

Especially if you could have just entered business at UC in the first place, and not have to worry about that???

My Ride
    toyota MR2

yeah its way harder to tranfer into business after highschool if i were you i would have gone in right away but whatever... anyways thats what i mean he's getting his applied degree or whatever but he's hoping that when he's finished they will have already changed or something so he automatically have a degree..

but how exactly will they we granted to be a University? offer more programs??? someone please explain how they would go about the process

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Originally posted by AG_Styles
    don't ppl going to MRC get marks just for attending class?
    yah, i heard programs at SAIT and MRC are pretty slack.
    Because MRC is college for Van Horne HS grads right.

Its just like any other college/university. Alot of the classes are uni level and are accepted at UofC. I love it for the class sizes (35 max) after the first year. The facilities are new and wonderful. The profs and faculty chairs are accessble. The applied accounting degree is actually acceptable for a CA designation entrance. The applied Financial services degree awards 'Canadian Securities' certification as part of the degree. The support from industry is excellent too. the business school has its board of directorys who are VPs and Managers from MAJOR national companies like CP Rail, Delloite & Touche, Supply Chain Management (Wal-Mart). It provides great alternatives to the standard B.Comm and other business degrees thru the uni. Besides, transfer entrance to Huskayne is 3.6 so if you dont start off at uni, its gonna be killer to transfer.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    1994 Volvo 854T 5spd

as far as i know the SAIT isnt looking for university status, but they are looking into offering another 2 year program for alot of their current programs to upgrade your diploma to a degree.... or something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast