Need your advice - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need your advice

My Ride
    2Look slk

Default Need your advice

I have lots of questions...

I just purchased one of these:

What kind of amp should I get to run it? Any suggestions. I need at least 350watts. I don't want to spend any more than $400. As well, is it a big difference if I buy a monoblock or a 2-channel amp?

I've been looking at a few...there is a 400watt Clarion (forgot the model name) for $300 on sale at A&B. As well, there is a 500 watt Fusion amp (forgot the model name again) regular priced $550 on sale for $350. I've also been searching on the net and I found a Hifonics Zeus-series Z4000 amp (350watts) for $310.

As you can see I know absolutely nothing about stereo systems.

As well, should I get a custom box or one that is pre-made? ported or sealed? If so, where can I get it made and which place is good?

I would appreciate your advice. Thanks

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

Are you purchasing an aftermarket deck (like in Rage's Porsche) or are you just going to attempt to hook it up to your stock Mercedes deck?

Nice subwoofer btw... that thing pounds... and it still has one of the best SQ (sound quality) ratings in the business!

Peter

My Ride
    2Look slk

I'm just gonna hook it up to my factory deck. So it's an okay sub? I have no idea...crxboi recommended I buy this one.

My Ride
    '21 F150 Lariat Nardo Grey

Shoulda bought my sub! hehe

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

Originally posted by girlRACER
    I'm just gonna hook it up to my factory deck. So it's an okay sub? I have no idea...crxboi recommended I buy this one.
    Yep a good sub. Does your factory deck have RCA outputs... or are you just going to have a professional tap into your rear speakers and run a speaker-level-input into your amplifier?

Technical question, I know, but it's somewhat important when dealing with sound quality and bass reproduction in music.

Peter

My Ride
    335i

It sounds okay, but it isn't very loud. If you are planning on putting it into your trunk, you may not be able to hear that because of the low bass.

Get the monoblock if you can, or get the 2 channel if you can bridge them. Either the clarion or fusion will give you enough power, but i'd go with Clarion since they have such clear sounding components.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    2Look slk

Originally posted by Fluidic Digital

Yep a good sub. Does your factory deck have RCA outputs... or are you just going to have a professional tap into your rear speakers and run a speaker-level-input into your amplifier?

Technical question, I know, but it's somewhat important when dealing with sound quality and bass reproduction in music.

Peter
    I have no clue I am planning to get it professionally installed though.

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    It sounds okay, but it isn't very loud. If you are planning on putting it into your trunk, you may not be able to hear that because of the low bass.
    Hmmm... that or fold down the seats whenever you want to "show-off"!

Peter

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Jackie..there are so many options when dealing with subs. Wether you go with a 2 channel or a monoblock is dependent on your sub, im not aware ofthe specs on the sub so its hard to say what the best setup up would be. You donot need 350 watts however 200 watts of clean power would be be perfect. Keep in mind that with a convertable you will loose alot of sound..a ported sub would probably be the best way to go , problem is you may not have the room for it in your car. The best thing to do is find a good professional (usually small) stereo install shop and go to them for advice and installation questions, its usually those small places that offer the best advice and skill. good luck
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

I have a Phoenix Gold Monoblock Jackie, works great!

Give me a call this weekend Jackie, we'll get you all sorted out.
    Travel

My Ride
    MDX

Go talk to Jason at audioconcepts, he can set you up with a great amp, plus they have a few on sale now. And for a custom install, check out the brand new svt cobra in their showroom.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

You're going to have to buy a lot of stuff to get it to work on the SLK.

AFAIK, the SLK's factory deck has speaker level outputs (I might be wrong on this one). The factory amp takes speaker level inputs from the deck, and powers the front 4 speakers as well as the 2 rear subs behind the seats. A built in crossover filters out only the lows to the subs.

To install those subs with a BIGGER amp, you will have to install a new deck (with line outs and speaker outs) and wire the speaker outs to the factory amp. Wire the line outs to a crossover, then to the new amp for your subs. Cut the sub wires out from the stock amp and wire them to the new amp. Install subs. If you get a higher end deck that doens't have speaker outs, you'll need another 4 channel amp for the front speakers, replacing the factory amp completely.

We've tried wiring line outs to the factory amp, and umm, it doesn't work too well. Lots of odd clicks and pops. It's SUPPOSED to support both line level and speaker level inputs though. Also, check to see the subs actually fit the stock enclosure... it might not be deep enough. As for building a full sub box in the trunk, you won't have enough room to make a good sounding box, unless you never plan on driving top down again. And if you're able to get the subs installed, prepare to replace the factory front speakers, they'll get overpowered by bass (unless you're just looking for thumping bass and not sound quality).

The factory Bose 6 speaker system is already quite good, that's why I haven't upgraded it and don't plan on doing so. Being able to hear the music clearly and feel the bass with the top down at 250km/h... more than enough for my tastes .
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

jeese rage, can I borrow your pressure washer, you sure rubbed that in hard, hahaha
    Travel

My Ride
    a tank

haha at least now if I hear loud music coming from a topless yellow slk from a distance I'll know how it is.. o_O
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

hehe the Stock SLK system is tough to work with in terms of speaker and amp upgrades. But hey, can't complain, at least it has a DIN sized opening for deck upgrades! Can't say the same for any other MB nowadays!
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by rage2
    hehe the Stock SLK system is tough to work with in terms of speaker and amp upgrades. But hey, can't complain, at least it has a DIN sized opening for deck upgrades! Can't say the same for any other MB nowadays!
    Well I was quite impressed when We were listening to G&R on the way back from banff at the posted speed limit , sound was crisp and clear...not bad for factory...
    Travel

My Ride
    GTI

Originally posted by Weapon_R

Get the monoblock if you can, or get the 2 channel if you can bridge them. Either the clarion or fusion will give you enough power, but i'd go with Clarion since they have such clear sounding components.
    Dude, her car is tiny, that thing is gonna pound, she'll hear it good guaranteed. Nice buy!!!

My Ride
    2Look slk

I guess I know now where all my money is going ...to the INSTALL!! It looks like it's gonna be a challenge but I already bought the sub and I can't return it now since I bought it in Vancouver so I will just have to try to make it work.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

I had the 12" version. Nice sub! Just gotta make sure that you get the right enclosure. Power is pretty much arbitrary without the proper enclosure. I believe a sealed box for that sub works best. Anyway, for power I was using an mtx 1502 which seemed alright. It was bridged to provided about 250-300 watts rms.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    FJC, S30

that sub u have is awsome.. im gonan buy one too.. its more for sound quality than poundin but its soo smooth on the transitions.. get the fusion mono block amp.. so itll give ur subs enuff power to run perfectly.. or if u can.. find a jbl mono block amp.. since they are from the same company and match a bit better then those otehr amps
    Submaker.Illest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast