Quantcast
Confering European citizenship to your children? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Confering European citizenship to your children?

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Default Confering European citizenship to your children?

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this. My mother is 100% Italian, and recently we have been talking about the possibility of her getting my brothers and I Italian citizenship. It would be a great advantage if we were travelling in Europe. I was just wondering if anyone has/ or knows anyone who has done something similar? Where to go to get it done etc.
    One thing that came up though is the possibility of getting conscripted to the Italian army if we were in Italy .. thats probably not a huge possibility but a possibility nonetheless. Anyways let me know anyones thoughts on this.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer

My Ride
    1996 Honda Civic Si

Yeah actually...I have a British and Polish passport on top of my Canadian passport. Because your mom is an Italian subject, she can obtain the necessary papers from the Italian embassy in Ottawa for you to gain your Italian passport/citizenship. I know for my British passport I had to be under 18, so i'm not sure whether Italy would be the same. I wouldn't be too worried about being conscripted to the Italian army..times have changed and unless there was some new World War, there's practically a .5% chance of you ever getting enlisted.

Oh..having the passport helps SO much...no long waits at the airport (Special EU line in most Airports) And because you're in the EU, I'm pretty sure you can work anywhere in the EU without a work VISA. Hope this helps...

My Ride
    2008 BBP Accord Coupe

Haha yeah thats sweet. Thats a big thing, if I was to go on a long European trip I would be able to get my work visas. So how would the best way be to get a hold of the Italian Embassy in Ottawa? I take it theres no embassy or branch or something in Alberta to speak with? Thanks for the help grocko.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
    —Cicero, Roman statesman and lawyer