Quantcast
car disappeared - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: car disappeared

Default car disappeared

hey everyone,

just looking for some insight here..

i have this old old winter beater from last year that is no longer driven, and it's been sitting outside my house since then and hasn't moved the entire time. it's registered and has a plate but doesn't have insurance.

so i got home around 15 minutes ago, and the car's not there. i asked my mom if she noticed anything earlier, and she said that it was still there in the evening, around 6-7pm or so.

i have no idea what happened. would the city come and tow it for some reason? i mean, it's been there forever and nothing's happened, so i don't see why it'd suddenly happen now.

did i do anything illegal here? or maybe some guy just came and towed it away for parts? (trust me, this thing was beat. i don't think it even runs anymore.)

i've been meaning to get rid of it but never got around to actually doing it.. i figured i was gonna donate it to the kidney foundation but i guess i can't anymore.

anybody have any ideas as to what i should do about this? should i be reporting it stolen? or should i possibly be calling the impound lot?

any input would be appreciated. thanks!

call the tow places and find out and call the poice and tell them your situation

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Yes .. It was towed by the city .. and you need to pay stupid fee for it .. it happened to me few times ..

Even your park your car in front of your house, city can still tow it ! ( unless it is on your driveway )

The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

unlucky for you, the city owns the street the car is parked on, and you can only park there for a certein period and after that they will eventually notice it and leave a warning, happened to my gfs car, used to be parked on the street cuz she never drove it..and one day i noticed a mark on the tire...so i drove that car around and parked it again

hmm ok..

but why would they do it now and not anytime during the last year?

and the car had a valid plate too. no insurance, but a valid plate. would they be able to check if i had insurance on it based on the plate alone? and why would they even bother to go that far if they checked and then found out the plate was valid? which then leads to the question of why they'd check to begin with, as i'm pretty sure the cops don't drive around running the plates on all the cars in the neighbourhood.

anyhow, i'll definitely give the police a call tomorrow. thanks for the input though!

eblend:

i never got any sort of notice. what department of the city does this? maybe i'll try contacting them..

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

you know what..i actually don't remember if there was a notice or not..all i know is it was parked on the side of the street for a long time...and once out of nowhere i noticed red chalk on the tire..and this is a normal street with no signs or anything, just a lil residential area. If i remember correctly there was no notice, they simply tow it after a while, thinking its an abandoned car or something. It is prolly at the impound lot, if u were gonna dump it anyways just don't pay any fees for it and let them auction it off, assuming that you are not requred by law to pay the fees, i don't know never had my car towed

cool cool.. well yeah i was planning to get rid of it anyways, so it's not really a big deal. i'm guessing i might be responsible for the towing fees but i hope there isn't anything else. it'd be a huge ripoff for me to pay a few hundred bucks to get a car back that's worth even less, just so i can get rid of it again.

My Ride
    240sx, 1991 Supra mk3 tt, 4-speed 93 Benz 320e

Just keep it there, they will auction it off to get their money back

Phone the city impound lot they can tell ya if its there...
    Pretty much the same thing happend to me, i had my old blazer parked out back on the street with my trailer on it... never had any problems with it till the guy that lives down stairs from me parked his car with no plate on it right infront of my truck and some asshole complained bout it.... at the time my truck had a flat tire on it, so they towed it in too, just cuz it had a flat tire on it because some lil punk decided to pop it on me.... Bastards nailed me for the tow fee's and parkin tickets, on both the trailer and the truck plus cuz the flat tire they had to charge me dolly fee's on top of it all..... but pretty much if the car aint worth shit all to you, let them have it and auction it off, at most you will get a parkin ticket in the mail.....

My Ride
    Import

Originally posted by u4ia
    eblend:

i never got any sort of notice. what department of the city does this? maybe i'll try contacting them..
    Someone in your neighborhood might of complained, or the bylaw guy thought it was abandoned. Usually the bylaw people come around and put a flourescent orange sticker on the windshield or drivers side window saying you have to move it in so many hours, or you will be towed. Try the city bylaws dept?

phat97yukon & zoom zoom:

yeah i think i'll just leave the car with them and hopefully nothing more becomes of it.. i'd be willing to pay the towing fees if they end up sending me a bill for that, but i really hope there's nothing else. (ie - tickets.)

x_plorer:

hmm well if it was someone in my neighbourhood, it sure took them a while! haha.

and i never see the bylaw guys around here, i've seen them driving around but never in my neighbourhood. but perhaps they were here, you never know. i never did see any sort of notice like that orange sticker you're talking about.

i checked out the city of calgary website and found out that they can legally tow your vehicle and consider it abandoned after only 72 hours! damn that's crazy. i sure didn't know that..

so yeah guys, if you park on the street, make sure you never go more than 3 days without driving.

My Ride
    91 MR2 turbo

well if they were goin to tow it, they would leave a notice first saying it will be towed if it is not removed within a certain period of time.

Considering this isn't louisiana or some other totally redneck state in the US, you leaving a shitbox on the side of the road for a year is considered a terrible form of littering and environmentally careless. Glad they got rid of it, sorry.

well considering how i was gonna donate the car anyways, it's not exactly a big deal. i'm glad it's gone really.

but, whether or not that car was a shitbox, the law that allowed it to get towed could apply to any other car as well. so it being a shitbox really had nothing to do with what happened.

anyways.. here's another question. where else is it possible to store a winter beater? assuming that you already have cars in the garage and don't want to block up your driveway either. and alleys don't count because cars stored there can be towed just the same.

Well yes it does apply to other cars, but most normal people do not leave cars sitting for a year on a public road. I'm guessing the thing was super dirty, coverered in snow and it was obvious the thing hadn't moved for a long time.

As for your other question, put the car in car storage and pay a monthly fee, or um if that's an issue, get rid of the second car and maybe drive your prelude all year round like that car is meant to be?

My Ride
    2017 Highlander XLE, 09 WRX STi

I guess I was lucky because I had my old beater in front of my house for at least a year as well before I took it to the junk yard. But then again I always went out there every week and started it and cleaned off the snow and all.

zorro:

that's definitely true.. but as i mentioned in an earlier post, even if i hadn't left it for a year, it only takes 72 hours before it's considered abandoned. under that criteria, a large number of cars in the city could be towed. the car wasn't that dirty actually, the frequent snow and melting kept it semi-decent but it was obvious it hadn't moved in a while judging from the bits of ice and snow left on the area around the car.

i don't think it's worth paying for storage on a cheap car like that, so i'll probably just move the car every so often as eboi suggested.

i can't drive my prelude for the same reasons as the other people out there with non-stock vehicles. on the other hand, even if it was driveable, i'd still go with the winter beater route. with the way that some calgarians drive in the winter, i'd prefer to be hit while i'm in the beater than the car i actually care about.

thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Originally posted by u4ia
    but as i mentioned in an earlier post, even if i hadn't left it for a year, it only takes 72 hours before it's considered abandoned. under that criteria, a large number of cars in the city could be towed.
    The law says 72 hours but in reality, you can park indefinitely until someone actually notices and reports the car as abandoned. Then it'll take a day or more for the bylaw officer to put a warning tag on it and at least 72 hours for him to return and call a tow truck. The bylaw officers normally don't patrol for abandoned cars.

Also FYI, any car parked on a public road must have valid PLPD insurance (not just fire, theft, vandalism). But it's rare that you'd get caught on this.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast