Quantcast
Sand Blasting - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Sand Blasting

My Ride
    G35

Default Sand Blasting

I tried re finishing my rims they are Integra Ls Mesh wheels(stock) for some reason they look really bad, finish is chipping etc. I tried it by hand and that went nowhere, it would take me a month at least to finish them. Now i do have the accsess to the sandblasting machine, i was wondering if i can sand blast them and then re paint them. Would i destroy them, does anyone have any experience with sandblasting rims. Thanks in advance.

Default Dont Re: Sand Blasting

Dont sandblast them...you'll end up with a deeply pitted finish inthe softer cast metal alloy.
    Media blasting (glass bead, plasitic etc.)...is a better option...or else chemical stripping (which can be more work with a mesh wheel).
    Do a thorough cleaning afterwards...final clean with laquer thinner (no touching after)...then be sure to use a primer before paint.
    Good luck!

Originally posted by KGB
    I tried re finishing my rims they are Integra Ls Mesh wheels(stock) for some reason they look really bad, finish is chipping etc. I tried it by hand and that went nowhere, it would take me a month at least to finish them. Now i do have the accsess to the sandblasting machine, i was wondering if i can sand blast them and then re paint them. Would i destroy them, does anyone have any experience with sandblasting rims. Thanks in advance.

My Ride
    G35

thanks for the reply, i just may get some shop to refinsih them for me. any ideas on how much it would be???

My Ride
    '92 Mazda

appx 160 a wheel at alberta wheels or w/e off edmonton trail
    Last edited by noodles; 04-01-2005 at 12:59 AM.
    Some People Are Like Slinkies, No Matter How Many Times You Push Them Down The Stairs, They'll Always Put A Smile On Your Face.