Quantcast
rage2's rant of the week (3/28/05) - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: rage2's rant of the week (3/28/05)

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Here's an interesting article on the subject:

http://www.reuters.com/audi/newsArti...toryID=8081477

My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH

Yup, my employer implemented both Windows and Linux servers to meet their needs, too.

Appearantly, their needs included a server that likes to crash every once in awhile, so the got the windows server for that need.

The linux server didn't meet their needs very well, because it has NEVER crashed.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Tyler883, you're an idiot. My rant is directed towards idiots like yourself.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH

Hey!

Idiots have feelings, too!!!

I used to be anti-microsoft. I didnt find win95/98/98se particularly great. BSoD's were the main reason, but today i dont need to use unix systems and i cant run games on em either. i like win2k

Isn't this topic beat to death? Sure it's fun to poke fun at the other crowd but enough people have written these articles.

Now... Mac OS X Server and their XServe platform... LOL!

My Ride
    ED-7

it all again comes down to preference IMO.

I like using linux for writing programs(xemacs owns), but i like windows for ease of use and running programs(have emacs installed on windows too!!).
    i like the simple navigation use in windows. i like the stability in linux.

however, it's important to know that these are just programs/OS's written by programmers. If anyone really put their minds to it, it's possible to crash either one (not easy, but possible). i don't care if it's linux or windows or how secure it can be. cuz if u look at the trends of systems, they have yet to develop a fully safe and secure op system that is 100% secure. they have made systems more secure, but not fullly secure.
    sure linux is said to be more secure, but as rage2 has already so emphasized, so can windows.

preferences people.
    Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    I swear he was thrown into the ditch by the VTEC sonic boom.

My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH

A CEO of Motorola was quoted for saying that he enjoyed selling a product that doesn't quite work that way that the customer expects it to work.

Microsoft's software seems to be that way, too. Yet we keep running to the store to buy another box full of promises from Microsoft.

I like the open source approach, they have no bones in admitting that their products are in a continual mode of development.

There's no reason to be so dogmatic about OS's I agree.
    However, some points...

Enterprise level = Unix/Linux.
    User level, small time stuff = Windows.

How many big companies, bank, telcos etc use Windows for their servers?

Ever bought licences for all the Windows crap? It gets expensive. If you're running a legit business, all that has to be accounted for.

Hmm, actually for smaller stuff Windows is pretty horrible. What's easier to setup and use, IIS, Windows, MSSQL or Linux, Apache, mysql, php?

Windows is great for user level stuff. We used IIS, MSSQL, NT (oh god) and it was decent. I'd use Windows again (it's easy!) and there's no reason to stick 100% to an OS. Good to be flexible.

It's good you like Windows, but to toss out Unix is the same hypocracy you're trying to avoid.

My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH

Just some follow-up on this topic, I just bought a second computer to use as a "test bed" for a linux server/workstation,

I've installed Mandrake linux and was pleased to discover that it came bundled with open office( saved me the cost of buying microsoft office), an email program with time management features( saved me the cost of Outlook), mysql ( saved me the cost of MS SQL) , and apache webserver( saved me the cost of microsoft webserver), and it came bundled with Mozzila firefox( got me surfing the internet immediately after the install.

In fact, I'm using this linux system to write this message, and I didn't need to know anything to get my network/internet connection working.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Oh my, comparing MySQL to MSSQL. I can write a 10 page rant on mySQL. I'm trying to port vbulletin to MS SQL now because mySQL is so bad for high volume traffic like beyond.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

yea sure windows isnt that secure

yea sure windows isnt that stable

but it sure as hell is universal, thats why i use it
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by rage2
    Oh my, comparing MySQL to MSSQL. I can write a 10 page rant on mySQL. I'm trying to port vbulletin to MS SQL now because mySQL is so bad for high volume traffic like beyond.
    haha thats cause youre running it on windows

dude if the argument is tiring (and i agree, it is, though i disagree with your position) dont bring it up

(the fact that was written that long ago and its still the same old shit thrown back and forth just shows you what happens when you do)

My Ride
    A Hobo

two thoughts...

A)
    if the provider argues with your choice as a customer, then you can find another provider. of course the provider should be given an "acceptable" ammount of reasonable feedback for security, cost, flexibility and personal preference. but going as far to argue with an obviously intellegent customer to the point of writing a rant on a forum is too far. u should find a new provider

B)

My Ride
    A Hobo

actually ... i'll append this statement that people who run linux on their desktop sucks0rs L0llerSK4t3z!!!1111!!!one!!

*poke googe*

it was hard to read this whole rant so i had to run it through my 17333373333733337373737373 translator http://www.softempire.com/leet-speak.html

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by atomic
    two thoughts...

A)
    if the provider argues with your choice as a customer, then you can find another provider. of course the provider should be given an "acceptable" ammount of reasonable feedback for security, cost, flexibility and personal preference. but going as far to argue with an obviously intellegent customer to the point of writing a rant on a forum is too far. u should find a new provider

B)
    wtf u talk'n bout Willis?

My Ride
    3 of Germany's finest

I like Xandros.. but I dont like how it wont associatre with some of my windows files when I kissed the blue screen of death goodbye.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by googe
    haha thats cause youre running it on windows
    Actually, I moved it to a linux box, and the same problems are happening. MySQL is a funny database... yes it's FAST, when you're using myisam tables. That's because there's nothing, no proper locking, no transactions, nothing. Look at all the corruption you see here alone. Random threads with no posts, random db errors, non updated post counts.

OK, so if I want proper DB stuff, I'd have to use InnoDB tables. And guess what? It's slow as hell when you make MySQL act close to a real database. Drives me insane.

If only I was an oracle expert, I'd port to oracle, and not MS SQL.

My Ride
    A Hobo

Originally posted by benyl

wtf u talk'n bout Willis?
    i'm saying.. .. this discussion can only be had by experts of the os'/flavours of UNIX ; and differing enviroments have their relative requirements . this discussion has been ongoing since NT3.51 and will continue to do so .

And before NT3, it was against Novell and Lantastic.

And for workstation multitasking it was against OS2 and Quarterdeck Deskview. and then even Deskview had DeskviewX which was an X server for DOS to try to replace X11.

This will go on for ever..

I'm just glad no one mentioned OSX

and i'm also saying, you're all nerds
    Last edited by atomic; 05-31-2005 at 09:46 AM.

Originally posted by atomic

I'm just glad no one mentioned OSX

LOL
    Now that's an OS I can rant about, haha. Just... terrible.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast