Quantcast
Increase torque - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Increase torque

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Default Increase torque

Hi,
    My friend got a 99 Civic Si, and he was wondering what modification would increase torque, basically low to mid rpm.

Currently he only have muffler installed, no piping done. He is also wondering if he want to increase the pipe diameter from the cat on to the muffler, what pricing is he looking at? He is also considering removing the cat.

Is there actually any aftermarket manufacturers that sells pre-made mid-piping?

Thank you.

You will find alot of options when looking for a cat-back for a honda.

Click on the sponsors link or even put "civic cat-back" into google and you'll have more answers than questions.

They will not provide a noticable increase in torque. The engine is just too small.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Forced Induction is the only way to add any meaningfull torque to that motor. All the bolt ons you would do would add up to less than 10 ft/lbs

My Ride
    '85 900 turbo

Originally posted by Aleks
    Forced Induction is the only way to add any meaningfull torque to that motor. All the bolt ons you would do would add up to less than 10 ft/lbs
    true. i think with high revving engines, the piston stroke is shorter than other comparable NA setups, so you won't be able to get much torque from bolt ons (the trade off for higher hp numbers). Unless you're going to mess around with crankshafts, cylinder boring and piston heads, you're going to need forced induction to bring the torque up.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Default Re: Increase torque

Originally posted by HiSpec
    Hi,
    My friend got a 99 Civic Si, and he was wondering what modification would increase torque, basically low to mid rpm.

Currently he only have muffler installed, no piping done. He is also wondering if he want to increase the pipe diameter from the cat on to the muffler, what pricing is he looking at? He is also considering removing the cat.

Thank you.
    lol widening your exhaust is the opposite of what you want to do for more low-end torque. People use larger piping for increased top-end. If you use smaller piping than stock you can gain more low-end while sacrificing top-end power. Other things you could do would be to remove the power steering, use underdrive pulleys, and reduce weight like mad.

My Ride
    Lariat

start working on the engine, there are so many options to go like cam shafts and all that, if u rebuild the engine with new top quality parts u will gain alot of power/torque
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

whatever he does tell him to leave the cat, OBD II cars cant run properly w/o a cat. G/L ... oh and as to yer original post JRSC or small turbo like a garrett 28 or something.

My Ride
    00 328ci/04 m3 (frankenstein)

Originally posted by asp integra
    start working on the engine, there are so many options to go like cam shafts and all that, if u rebuild the engine with new top quality parts u will gain alot of power/torque
    i'm pretty sure he's looking for bolt ons, within a budget not rebuilding the entire engine. And since its a fairly new car, if the budget does get bigger a bolt on turbo or supercharger kit would be a way better option than rebuilding the engine.
    "Excuse me, is your refrigerator running? Because if it is, it probably runs like you... very homosexually."

My Ride
    ////M

I don't think I would make a goal of having high torque on a high revving car, I would go for high end horsepower, take advantage of the RPM range
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yo bro, are you from that goat Calgary car forum that get salty over lawn care, land rovers and circumcisions? That's straight fire.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

easiest answer is to buy a car with more torque. You can't do shit with bolt ons. You will loose usable torque.

My Ride
    Explorer XLT

Hi,

with a full exhaust you will maybe gain 10 wtq which wont even be noticable. tq doesnt exist on that car when not turboed.

My Ride
    335i

Gains with exhaust are subject to interpretation.

Do you think your car is weak off the line? A 3" pipe is going to make it worse. Peak horsepower is not the tell-all, end-all of bolt ons. You need to find out what combination will give you the best gains, where you want them. Installing a cat-back will reduce your power output in one area of your band, and increase it in another.

In your ase, search for something that will help you with your low end.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Miller

Originally posted by keith303

with a full exhaust you will maybe gain 10 wtq which wont even be noticable. tq doesnt exist on that car when not turboed.
    He won't get near 10 wtq I don't care what exhaust he uses, and if he did gain 10 fwtq it would be noticable. Torque can exist on his w/o a turbo but it means upping the compression and boring/stroking.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

i told him that simply an exhaust won't do much, if any at all. He doesn't want to spend much, so he prob won't have much choice in modifications.
    then he told me a complete full cat back will at least make him sound meaner hahaha....

My Ride
    Miller

Haha RICER.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by HiSpec
    i told him that simply an exhaust won't do much, if any at all. He doesn't want to spend much, so he prob won't have much choice in modifications.
    then he told me a complete full cat back will at least make him sound meaner hahaha....
    Why start a thread if you're not going to read the replies?

A bigger exhaust will make you LOSE low and mid range torque.

My Ride
    Ice Resurfacing Machine

I think the cheapest way to increase torque would be a cold air intake. After that, it gets pretty pricey. Increasing your compression ratio is the ideal way (forced induction is a spin off of this), that can be done by shaving your cylinder head a few thousands (keep in mind that will toss of your cam timing a bit so it will need to be adjusted) and its possible you could get your ignition maps optimized (and thus your fuel curves) if he's willing to run premium fuel. But anything exhaust related wouldn't really help the area's you want to.

Put on smaller diameter tires will help acceleration a bit, but the speedo will go out of wack.

My Ride
    Miller

Originally posted by Bigchuckers
    I think the cheapest way to increase torque would be a cold air intake. After that, it gets pretty pricey. Increasing your compression ratio is the ideal way (forced induction is a spin off of this), that can be done by shaving your cylinder head a few thousands (keep in mind that will toss of your cam timing a bit so it will need to be adjusted) and its possible you could get your ignition maps optimized (and thus your fuel curves) if he's willing to run premium fuel. But anything exhaust related wouldn't really help the area's you want to.

Put on smaller diameter tires will help acceleration a bit, but the speedo will go out of wack.
    Forced induction is not a spin off of increasing compression.

My Ride
    Ice Resurfacing Machine

Last time I checked adding boost increased cylinder pressure's much in the same way (well, far greater) increasing your compression ratio does

My Ride
    Miller

compression ratio is volume at bottom dead center vs. volume at top dead center and isn't measured by pressure in the cylinder. Although it obviously does increase pressure at tdc with increased ratio.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast