Quantcast
Human Sex Slave Trafficking - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Human Sex Slave Trafficking

My Ride
    2002 Mercedes C230 Kompressor

Angry Human Sex Slave Trafficking

Fuk... I can't believe this stuff still Exists...

Article:

Corruption stalls Balkans recovery

Trafficking leads crimes trumping rule of law in war-torn region
    Romanian and Moldovan victims of forced prostitution await questioning after the Bosnian nightclub where they worked was raided by special police.

By Preston Mendenhall
    MSNBC

VELESTA, Macedonia, Jan. 2 — In this village on Macedonia’s western flank, where bellowing donkeys pulling hay-laden carts fight for road space with late model European sports cars, international attempts to preserve peace in the Balkans are being severely tested.

AFTER SPENDING BILLIONS of dollars on military and humanitarian interventions to douse the flames of four Balkans wars, international efforts to maintain a delicate peace between warring ethnic groups are increasingly threatened by rampant corruption and the unchecked flow of guns, drugs and human smuggling through the region.
    Diplomats and local officials say the lack of resolve by top bureaucrats to get tough on corruption and police fears that a crackdown on crime syndicates could spark a new bloodbath along ethnic lines are preventing the region’s recovery from a decade of conflict.

The western Macedonian town of Velesta, population 3,000, epitomizes the problem.
    Beyond the busy central market with its signs for ironmongers and butchers are businesses with names like Bela Dona and Safari Club — brothels that give Velesta and other small towns in the Balkans a bad name.

SEX TRADE FLOURISHES
    From Bosnia to Serbia and Montenegro to Albania, bars like those in Velesta are packed with thousands of women and girls — mostly from Moldova, Ukraine and Romania — who are tricked or kidnapped by traffickers and forced to work as prostitutes. Of the up to 4 million women and girls trafficked for prostitution worldwide each year, some 200,000 pass through the Balkans, according to the U.S. State Department.

The trade in humans is visible everywhere, even in the Macedonian capital. After the closure of the Panorama Hotel bar, perched on a hill above Skopje’s government ministries, the flesh market has now resurfaced at the Irish Pub, a downtown watering hole on the Vardar River packed with NATO troops and international workers, who as clients fuel the business. On a recent night, a dozen women watched by a minder left one by one with British, American and German soldiers on 96-hour leaves from Kosovo, where they keep the peace in another Balkans region plagued by trafficking.
    One year ago, MSNBC.com infiltrated the brothels of Velesta and interviewed women held as sex slaves. Scarred by countless beatings by clients and “owners,” the women described how they were duped into believing promises of good jobs in Italy and Greece, only to find themselves driven from village to village in the Balkans and forced to sleep with hundreds of men.
    Relief officials in Macedonia say that little has been done in the past year to crack down on places like Velesta. Throughout western Macedonia, a region that nearly erupted in all-out war between ethnic Albanian guerrillas and Macedonian government forces until the international community intervened, traffickers have put corrupt local police, prosecutors and judges on their payrolls.

Experts say that the same smugglers moving women and children through the region also control contraband in weapons, cigarettes and drugs on their way to Europe and beyond.
    A Human Rights Watch report published in November said the same problems plague other Balkans nations, noting that official corruption contributes to more than 200 brothels operating in Bosnia and Herzegovina alone.
    “Everyone knows everyone,” said Patsy Sörensen, a Belgian deputy to the European Parliament who monitors human trafficking issues in the Balkans. “There is corruption everywhere. A girl can be having a drink with a policeman one day and be arrested by him the next.”

WESTERN PRESSURE
    Western officials say they have taken blunt messages to the governments spawned by the breakup of former Yugoslavia that there is growing concern that unless the corruption fueling problems like human trafficking is stamped out, the recovery of the Balkans will stall.
    The problem is perhaps no more acute than in Macedonia, where tensions between ethnic Albanians, who make up one third of a population of 2 million but for years were deprived of equal rights, and Macedonian Slavs still simmer even as a new multi-ethnic government holds power.
    State-run media regularly blames the mainly Albanian population in the west for the trafficking of thousands of women across the nearby through the region each year. There is little acknowledgement of the role played by Macedonian police, border guards and prosecutors helping the traffickers, in part by supplying false documents and allowing perpetrators who are caught to go free.

The depth of the corruption, say Western officials, prevents even the most motivated police and prosecutors from cracking down.
    “The lack of political will so far to solve the problem is stalling the country’s recovery,” said Bart D’Hooge, the Organization for Security and Cooperation’s official in charge of developing a multi-ethnic police force in Macedonia. “They have to see that one problem is linked to another problem. And if you want to solve one problem, you have to solve them all. It’s a vicious circle.”

Macedonian officials counter that efforts to target criminals in ethnic Albanian areas only lead to accusations of ethnic bias. Fearful of sparking another round of bloodletting between ethnic Albanians and Macedonian Slavs, officials say their hands are tied.
    And although Macedonia passed a landmark anti-trafficking law last year, increasing prison terms for human smugglers, the country still lacks “the crucial tools needed to fight this complex form of crime,” like laws allowing for wire-tapping and undercover investigations, says the OSCE’s D’Hooge.
    The steep slide into crime couldn’t come at a worse time for the region, where relief officials are struggling with shrinking budgets and, amid the war on terrorism, a decrease in interest in the region. American aid to the Balkans is slated to drop 20 percent next year to $495 million, and money from European donors also is expected to decline. The crime and corruption has kept wary investors away.

RULE OF THE LAND
    In Velesta, a group of well-armed smugglers with long criminal records operates with impunity. An estimated 100 women are believed to be held in and around the village, where they are kept under lock and key by their “owners,” who use the dingy night clubs to rape and beat the girls into submission before selling them again on well trodden trafficking routes that lead to Western Europe, the Middle East and beyond.
    In a rare interview with MSNBC.com, one of the chief suspects in the human flesh trade accused the Macedonian government of singling out ethnic Albanians for prosecution. “The state knows exactly what’s going on here, because they are part of it,” said Bojku Dilaver, a 40-year-old ethnic Albanian known by his nickname “Leku” who owns bars in Velesta and nearby Struga. Dilaver, who is wanted by Interpol, denied his clubs were anything more than cabarets.

Dozens of trafficking victims rescued from the region say he is lying. “Leku bought and sold young girls before my eyes,” said Svetlana, a 20-year-old Moldovan who escaped from Velesta in September. “He forced us to sleep with clients every hour.”
    In the past several months, there have been signs that governments in the Balkans are trying to fight back.
    The OSCE’s D’Hooge says key Macedonian ministries have appointed anti-corruption czars. And in September, a Balkans-wide operation under the Southeast European Cooperative Initiative, a regional law enforcement organization, resulted in more than 200 arrests and the rescue of almost 300 victims. Greek police also rescued women from Ukraine and Moldova found rolled up in carpets in an attempt to smuggle them across the Macedonian-Greek border.
    Last weekend, Macedonian police raided Velesta and other towns, rounding up several suspected pimps and at least 20 trafficking victims.
    At the same time, relief officials say they are seeing a dangerous trend by traffickers to infiltrate the organizations that work with victims in an attempt to exert influence on both the women and aid workers. A victims’ shelter run by Macedonia’s Interior Ministry and administered by the International Organization for Migration seized $10,000 from a woman posing as a victim. Her apparent intention was to pay off rescued women not to testify against their former owners. IOM fired an office driver in Macedonia who had family ties to a trafficker serving time in a Belgian prison.
    “It’s like jelly,” said European Parliament member Sörensen, who once had a contract placed on her by a trafficker, now jailed. “You press down on it, and it squirts up somewhere else.”

Preston Mendenhall is MSNBC.com’s international editor.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/842092.asp?vts=010320031025

My Ride
    2002 Mercedes C230 Kompressor

Angry Another Related Article

A Balkans kingpin defends his lair

Wanted for forcing women into prostitution, ‘Leku’ lives free in Macedonia
    Bojku Dilaver, who is accused by police of trafficking in women, relaxes in his hotel in western Macedonia.

By Preston Mendenhall
    MSNBC

STRUGA, Macedonia, Jan. 2 — For a man wanted on 17 criminal counts, including counterfeiting, robbery and the enslavement of women, Bojku Dilaver doesn’t appear overly worried. Driving a new Audi, clad in black and draped in Versace jewelry, the man police call the kingpin of human trafficking in the Balkans lives freely here on Macedonia’s western flank.

MACEDONIAN OFFICIALS SAY Dilaver, widely known by his nickname, “Leku,” is very nearly untouchable — able to keep local police and prosecutors at bay with cash kickbacks from his smuggling empire. Smug in his lair in the region where he was born and snacking on freshly caught trout from nearby Lake Okhrid, Dilaver recently discounted the litany of charges the Macedonian government has lodged against him.
    “I’m a simple man,” he said. “It’s always, ‘Leku, Leku, Leku.’ ”
    Right or not, “Leku” has become a catchword for much that is wrong in the Balkans, where crime and corruption flourish after a decade of ethnic conflicts. And here in western Macedonia, a region that almost erupted into a war between minority Albanians and majority Macedonians a year ago, Leku’s name strikes fear in the hearts of dozens — and perhaps hundreds — of victims of human trafficking.
    “He’s one of the main guys,” said a Western law enforcement official working in the region.
    Corruption stalls Balkan recovery

LEKU LIVES LARGE
    Dilaver likes to live large. By his own grinning admission, he has three “wives” and a number of consorts. On a recent day, he swept into his hotel in a floor-length leather coat. His 16-year old son brought him a glass of juice from the bar, where leggy Serb dancers were warming up for a night of cabaret.

The Swiss-style Hotel Bern — influenced by the six years Dilaver years spent working on construction sites in Switzerland — is his pride and joy. He says his dream was to become an architect, a plan cut short because he didn’t go to college. The Hotel Bern bears his signature style, with lots of mirrors and marble.
    Down the road in the village of Velesta, Dilaver opened another bar, called Expresso. In Struga, on the north end of picturesque Lake Okhrid, he owns a night club called Kiss Me.
    According to Dilaver, he was once at odds with the law, serving two sentences for illegally employing foreign girls to “dance” at his popular nightclubs. “Now everything is legal,” he says, “and all the girls have working papers.”
    So what about all the women who say Dilaver beat them and, in more than one case, raped them to force them into prostitution?
    “They are just talking bad about me,” he said of the numerous accusations that form the backbone of the Macedonian government’s charges of human slavery.

ANOTHER STORY
    “Of course he’ll say that,” said Natalia, a Moldovan woman who says she was bought sold by Leku. “But he’s lying to you. He just doesn’t want to go to jail.”
    Twenty-two-year-old Natalia is one of a chorus of trafficking victims who say Dilaver is a demonic crime boss who forces girls into the sex trade. If they resist, they say he beats them into submission and threatens to harm their families back home.
    During a year and a half working in western Macedonia, where smugglers dumped her after promising her a well-paid job in Italy, Natalia was forced to sleep with hundreds of men. Brothel owners rotated Natalia and other girls through dozens of bars in the region.
    Then one day she found herself standing before Dilaver.
    “He paid 18,000 euros ($18,000) for six girls, myself included. There were four Moldovans, one Romanian and one Ukrainian.”

HUMAN ‘REFUND’
    Dilaver took the women back to Velesta, the village where he was born, but Natalia soon realized she was pregnant — the result of hundreds of sexual encounters without condoms, which clients refused to wear. Leku was furious.
    “He took me to have an abortion,” Natalia said. “He paid the doctor 50 euros.” Then Dilaver sent her back to her former “owner.”

“He got a refund,” Natalia said. “3,000 euros.”
    Stories like Natalia’s are repeated by dozens of women who say they hope their testimony will one day put Dilaver behind bars.
    Sixteen-year-old Loredana left her native Bucharest in January, chasing a dream of working in Western Europe. But like thousands of naive Romanian girls, she ended up locked in a brothel in Macedonia. In Dilaver’s Expresso bar, “there was one client every hour, unless someone took me for the whole night,” Loredana said.

‘I AM A WONDERFUL BOSS’
    Dilaver denies the claims. He offers phone numbers of Russian women who have worked in his club. “They will tell you I am a wonderful boss,” he said. Reached by phone in Russia, they spoke in glowing terms of Dilaver, though they admitted he had phoned them first.
    Apparently preparing for his day in court, and irked by a reporter’s questions, Dilaver produced a dozen notarized statements from women — former “dancers” at his clubs — who blame their ill treatment on corrupt local police. In the documents, they say Dilaver rescued them. If there was prostitution, Dilaver says, it wasn’t his fault.
    “These girls run away from their fathers and mothers. Then they run away from me. I offer for them to work as waitresses. But they want more money. And they want to sleep with men. It’s in their nature to prostitute themselves.”
    Dilaver says his dancers gave their statements willingly. However, one of the signatures is that of a 33-year-old Moldovan who told MSNBC.com in September 2001 that Dilaver held her as a sex slave and paid off police to issue false Macedonian work documents. “He told me to forget any thought I had of making money or returning home,” Luisa said.

Dilaver now says he has quit the business of employing foreign women altogether, though he admits that “Moldovan and Ukrainian women bring in more clients.”
    “I rented out my clubs for the last two years,” he said. “I’m not in the business anymore.”
    Loredana and Natalia say they were working for Dilaver in Velesta as recently as January and October, respectively. Loredana was wounded in a firefight that broke out during a police raid on Velesta.
    “I would love to seem him dead, but not because somebody shoots him,” she said by phone from a Bucharest shelter, where she is recovering from her wounds and resuming her studies. “I want personally to be the one who shoots him.”

Preston Mendenhall is MSNBC.com’s international editor
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/842106.asp

My Ride
    2002 Audi TT

i have to get myself a sex slave.. my last one got deported
    2 doors and 4 rings

My Ride
    Highlander

Originally posted by VWhooligan

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by VWhooligan
    that was a real classy joke there, chet
    Last edited by GTS Jeff; 01-04-2003 at 01:01 AM.

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

all i saw was "sex slave" so i thought i take a peek....... like hell i'm gonna read all that....

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 06:33 PM.