Quantcast
850i mods! - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 850i mods!

One of the better E31 forums.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e31/

My Ride
    92 BMW 850i

Yeah I'm on the http://www.jimmy540i.com/phpBB2/ forum but they all tell me to shitcan my 850i. There a bunch of 540i people who hate on other bimmer luvers that don't have 540i's.
    V12 BITCH'S!!!

My Ride
    92 BMW 850i

Thats the only pic right now that's not fucked up or blury I'll be taken more recent pics soon when i detail her. then i'll post all my new pics after that give me a week or two.
    V12 BITCH'S!!!

My Ride
    92 BMW 850i

Well i'm off later all
    V12 BITCH'S!!!

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by RedDevil

fine,
    you want two superchargers?
    as to my knowledge, u cannot have two superchargers on a v-12
    you can put more then one supercharger on any car with enough money, hell a while ago there was a website kicking around with a twin (roots style) supercharged vette.

Originally posted by RagenRoss
    Ok you have to warm up turbo car's because of how much power they generate you can easliy mess your engine up if you do not let a aftermarket turbo system warm up properly. My cousin ruin his 95 talon TSI because he didn't know what the hell he was doing .
    i don't even know which part of this to correct first.

just keep your car stock, your lack of car knowledge will make it slower then it is currently if you try modifying it
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

i wanna see a shot of the rear

My Ride
    B8 A4/MKV GTI

One of the best looking Bimmers to ever roll off the line MMMmmmm mmmmm.

My Ride
    92 BMW 850i

in favor of turbos:

a car with some turbo lag is fun to drive! in a sports car, this is appealing - tho in other applications it may not be. turbos have that surprise, seat-of-your-pants power rush.

parasitic power loss due to a supercharger. although it's been argued that the restricted exhaust flow of turbo steals power from the crank as well, the power-robbing of an SC is far greater (potentially 50HP), although that is certainly compensated for by the boost.

SC's of the Roots variety are notorious for heating up your intake air, due to an inefficient compressor design.

turbos allow much higher boost levels, and are capable of generating a lot more power

when cruising at low rpm, turbos allow the engine to run in a non-boosted and very fuel-efficient state. this is true for idling, as well. so turbos can allow good highway mileage while still providing extra power on demand. superchargers boost all the time, generating power even when it's not needed.

turbochargers are more flexible, allowing a wide range of swaps and upgrades to achieve the desired power output. a boost gauge can be adjusted on the fly to change boost pressures. with an SC, you get what the SC can generate; turbos allow dialing and tweaking. turbos even allow you to "shut off" the boost (by opening the wastegates) if lower power is desired (ie: rainy conditions, emissions checks, etc)

turbos are not as noisy as a SC. the sound they do make is only at WOT, and is pretty darn cool.

turbos can assist with a lack of traction when launching; the lag in boost is actually an advantage, as the boost doesn't kick in until you get moving and have more grip.

superchargers rob you of torque, especially as boost becomes higher and the force required to turn the compressor increases. so in a low-torque engine or an application where you want as much torque as possible (think large diesel engines) a turbo is preferred

in favor of superchargers:

SC's offer a more immediate boost response (no lag)

SC's are usually thought to be more reliable than turbos, due to operating at lower temperatures.

a supercharger system is less complex, especially when considering aftermarket setups

higher boost brings higher intake air temperatures (compressing air makes it hotter) so the higher boosts generated by a turbo will generate hotter, thinner air, reducing power and increases chances of a thinner fuel mixture

turbos need more time to heat up and cool down in order to reduce failures

under normal driving, superchargers can actually improve your fuel efficiency, as you could (in theory) drive at a lower throttle and achieve the same speed/power. performance driving will pretty much blow that away, tho.

SC's usually have a self-contained oil supply, where turbos use (and therefore heat up, break down, etc) the engine oil

SC's are better for engines that already have power to spare (think mustang v8) where the parasitic loss is hardly noticable and well disguised by the boost power created.

a supercharged system reduces the chance of valve overlap and backflow. as only the intake side is under pressure, airflow will always be forced in and out of the correct valves. a turbo requires more precise cam and valve timing to ensure the exhaust side (also under pressure due to the downstream turbine) does not push back when the valves are still open.

an intercooler is almost always necessary with a turbo system in order to compensate for the greater heat induced by an exhaust-driven compressor

superchargers create no additional backpressure - so high flow exhausts are less necessary

the surge of power from a turbo can be harder on engine components, and cause a loss in traction. a SC's power is even and comes on smoothly

There's some knowlege for your ass finboy I just didn't feel like going into detail.
    V12 BITCH'S!!!

If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but judging by the wording of your previous posts.... you didn't write that.

My Ride
    2013 Longhorn Ram

Im not even a BMW owner, but id say go an talk to a local BMW modification shop. They will be able to tell you all of these things, and custom-tailer it to your car. Your car looks nice. There was a link posted by someone about a Dina or Dinar (sp?) 840i, and it was TwinTurbo. Go for something along that route.

Originally posted by SKR
    You know what, I'm such a ricer. More form than function, oversized exhaust, Japanese engine, and if I put the tailgate down it kind of acts as much like a wing as the picnic table wings the fast and furious guys are bolting to their cars.

Cut and paste rocks my world. I feel sorry for the 850 almost as much as I feel sorry for the little creamer.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by RagenRoss
    blah blah blah, look what i cut and pasted
    you know nothing of cars and its obvious by your initial posts, RESEARCH noob, you need to do lots of it, otherwise your car will blow up, you will be short a lot of cash, then you will come back on here and bitch about it.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2