Quantcast
What operating system to use? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What operating system to use?

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Yeah, lately I have been using my PIII 500 Laptop, (192MB Ram) exclusively, while my 2000+ 512, TI-4200, sits. Its sometimes just easier and this thing has less crap on it. Its perfect for work, mps, movies etc. I find my AMD to be a little buggy sometimes.

Its insane though the price that you can buy computers for. Computers that are capable of running Windows 2000, Playing MP3s, Watching Movies, Surfing, And Using Microsoft Office Applications with. Take a look at a site like vfxnet.com (calgary based), some fantastic deals on older PC's there. Ideally if there was an effort, one could buy computers here and donate them to countries where they don't have that luxury for minimal cost (crate ship them)

http://vfxweb.com/index.php?maincateg=1

AGNS: Thanks for the offer man, I really apprecaite it, I think I might go with Windows 2000.
    Last edited by Neil4Speed; 04-10-2005 at 12:08 PM.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Sentra

you can get Windows XP Reduced Media Edition, its a pretty stripped down version.

My Ride
    Some wedges.

Use xvid codecs too, they seem to be more efficient and work with Divx 4CC stuff. I run XP Pro on a PII 400 with 256...cause I'm lazy..it's fine. And it's a laptop (Decent 8MB ATI AGP card though, probably makes a noticable difference)
    WTB:
    87+ AW11 ds valence panel, ds fender, rear visor. Burgundy interior parts as well.
    7th gen Celica antenna assembly

Please PM me, thanks!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by nismodrifter
    good to see another 400mhz'er out there haha, can't believe you can get divx to play though, mines a 400mhz K6-2, 196mb ram + 8mb agp video card and I can't watch divx
    That's cuz AMD sux0rs.... K6 haha.

I'm still running a Celeron 400mhz at work with Win2K Server. Plays all my divx, xvid, wmv fine, just has problems with anything HD.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by rlde.us
    you can get Windows XP Reduced Media Edition, its a pretty stripped down version.
    Reduced media edition isn't really stripped down. Just missing Windows Media Player to comply with EU monopoly settlement. Stupid lawyers!
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2001 Honda Civic Si; 06 Mazda 3 GT

Originally posted by /////AMG
    I had WinMe on a 900Mhz comp a few years ago, but I never had a problem with ME, I don't why people say it sucked. it worked great for me.
    Your PC at the time may just have been the luckiest machine ever then. Millenium was the most unstable piece of garbage I've ever had the displeasure of working with.

Since it's only a 400Mhz, I'd say go with 98 SE just in case you install a lof of various programs for the sake of improving your compatibility. As stable as Win2K is, it's more of a network-based OS and not necessarily every program will work on 2000.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Chiggles
    Your PC at the time may just have been the luckiest machine ever then. Millenium was the most unstable piece of garbage I've ever had the displeasure of working with.
    hehe you guys must suck at Windowz Skillz. I've had no problems with Windows ME on quite a few workstations. One of them still ran it up to about 3 months ago before we finally upgraded the machine. One of the most stable OS's out there provided you had the right drivers. A lot of the "instability" that I've seen with ME back in the day were guys running 98 drivers on it, and yes, ME wasn't supported too well, lots of manufacturers neglected to make ME specific drivers. But, if you have the supported hardware, ME was rock solid.
    Originally posted by Chiggles
    Since it's only a 400Mhz, I'd say go with 98 SE just in case you install a lof of various programs for the sake of improving your compatibility. As stable as Win2K is, it's more of a network-based OS and not necessarily every program will work on 2000.
    Dude, it's 2005. Everything runs on Windows 2000. I have a hard time finding stuff that supports Win98 these days.

My Ride
    2001 Honda Civic Si; 06 Mazda 3 GT

^^^ Current programs will run on Windows 2000, yes. Considering he has a 400Mhz processor though, he probably won't be able to run anything current though, and if at all, just barely, but it would be really sluggish. Capability vs. compatibility; all things considered I'd say he's still better off with 98 SE. Just my 2 cents though.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Didn't you read my earlier post? I'm running a 400mhz celeron. Not even a P3. Windows 2000 and 384MB of RAM. I do everything current, except for HD stuff. And of course no games.

Just cuz it's a 400mhz doesn't mean it can't do shit. I run the entire IT department using my trusty old Celeron!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2