Quantcast
Should Quebec Separate? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Should Quebec Separate?

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by hampstor

I don't know about everyone here, but if i had to choose Chretien was wasted my tax dollars and corruption vs Mulroney and the GST, i'd choose Chretien. At least Chretien didn't take away 7% ontop of every purchase i make! Maybe the conservatives (when they're back in power) will up it to 10% just a gentle reminder of how much "better" they are then the federal Liberals.

Are you joking? The Liberals won the 1993 election on the promise that they would scrap the GST. They have refused to do so.

Liberals tax, conservatives don't. It's party ideology. Canada was in a bad situation when the conservatives were forced to introduce the GST. Chretien's liberals loved and embraced it.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Wow I am surprised at the amount of narow minded people on here. I personally thing quebec shouldn't separate. But if they do, who ever says they would be a 3rd world country is an idiot. Half of the "windsor belt" (I belive thats what its called: all those big cities and industrial factories) is located in Quebec. They also have a pretty big part of our forestrie industrie. I think if they left BOTH canada and quebec would suffer from it. I think every one needs to suck it up and work shit out.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    We'd be so much worse off without Quebec. Trade would be the biggest problem that I can forsee. Consider having to travel through Quebec as a sovereign state...
    That's easy to work out. Once their economy stumbles, they'll entice people to travel thru. Think Europe. Many are soverign and travel thru them ain't that big of a deal.

Everyone hates the Liberals soo much... i think some of us have forgotten why most of us voted in favour of them over the conservatives.

I don't know about everyone here, but if i had to choose Chretien was wasted my tax dollars and corruption vs Mulroney and the GST, i'd choose Chretien. At least Chretien didn't take away 7% ontop of every purchase i make! Maybe the conservatives (when they're back in power) will up it to 10% just a gentle reminder of how much "better" they are then the federal Liberals.

Lesser of 2 evils
    Your are comparing what happen a decade and a half ago when we give Coservative power for too long. Guess what, history is repeating themselves.

Plus imagine not having the atlantic port, the cost of so many goods would go up and we would no longer have an F1.
    Quebec is basically where Canada started, if we get rid of them we have no history and we become one step closer to being americanized.
    Hello? New Brunswick and Nova Scotia? I would rather spend money on them to be our port than Quebec. They even better ports location wise than Quebec. And having most of import coming from Pacific anyways, who cares.

Lack of F1? We almost lost it anyways. And like I said above, I'm sure Quebec will want your tourist dollars and will bent over just to get you there. Again, who cares.

As for history, we still have the queen on our money. While that's kinda nice, it's unnecessary like Quebec.

Wow I am surprised at the amount of narow minded people on here. I personally thing quebec shouldn't separate. But if they do, who ever says they would be a 3rd world country is an idiot. Half of the "windsor belt" (I belive thats what its called: all those big cities and industrial factories) is located in Quebec. They also have a pretty big part of our forestrie industrie. I think if they left BOTH canada and quebec would suffer from it. I think every one needs to suck it up and work shit out.
    It's narrow minded for people who don't think outside the box and never changes even things don't work. Remember what happen to Montreal last time referendum came up? All HQs there based that left in a hurry to Calgary or TO so they won't be caught with pants down. Almost killed the city and didn't recover for at least 5-6 years.

The minute we shout that we are dumping Quebec, both Canada and Quebec will that a hit but I can guarantee you that there'll be mass business exodius from that province. The reduce cost from dropping bilingalism along jusitify enough to get out of there.

What I don't get is why people are so against this idea. Quebec take more than it gives and verbally abuse Canadians when there's chance. If that's your wife/husband, you'll probably kick his/her ass out long ago.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

yes quebec is a great part about why we are bilingual but there is still a pretty good population nation wide that is bilingual so we would not drop it if they left. New brunswick is offically bilingual. There for you cant say that it will cut cost to get rid of bilingualism becasue it wont happen
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by Xtrema

That's easy to work out. Once their economy stumbles, they'll entice people to travel thru. Think Europe. Many are soverign and travel thru them ain't that big of a deal.

Ok, lets think Europe for a second. First off, Europe has a little something called the EU. Barriers are nearly completely non-existent in the EU. Secondly, if you wanted to travel through a hostile quebec, most Canadians would have serious troubles, unlike the EU, where membership gives you exclusive rights to travel anywhere. I hardly think that you can even remotely compare a separated Canada to the EU - Its easy to compare apples to oranges though...

New brunsick and Nova Scotia? LOL. After our goods get here, did you expect them to dig a tunnel underneath Quebec to get to the rest of canada? Quebec is our atlantic port for a reason...
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Let em go, as long as they take their share of the debt, and allows a decent transportation and trade agreement (remember they're in the middle of Canada)......unless we could get rid of the maritimes too!!
    Originally posted by BlueGoblin
    I have been on the pointy end of a few sticks...

Is it true that if they seperate that they still want to use Canadian currency and recieve transfer payments? They are already treated like a whiny spoiled brat, getting everything they want just to keep them as part of Canada. Why should they get special treatment while the west gets shafted?

My Ride
    Bicycle

New brunsick and Nova Scotia? LOL. After our goods get here, did you expect them to dig a tunnel underneath Quebec to get to the rest of canada? Quebec is our atlantic port for a reason...
    I guess I need a geography lesson but you're right.

My Ride
    Low Rent

I gotta agree with Weapon_R on this one. It's not just trade, and the lack of an Atlantic port, it's also the loss of face in the political and economic community. How well does it reflect on our bargaining power, if we can't keep our country together? And as for our supposed (and often trumpeted) superiority to the Americans... well, we'd never hear the end of it.

The Czechs and Slovaks managed to separate amicably in '93, but I can't help feeling like they got off lucky.
    "Oh yeah! Plus, armed men are stealing my pop!"

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

Default Re: Should Quebec Separate?

Originally posted by Gweedo

or would it lead to the separating of other Provinces such as Alberta and BC.
    This made me laugh. It's like that old racist joke with the white guy, the black guy, the mexican guy and the genie's lamp.

If Quebec is gone, what reason would Alberta have to separate.lol

In all seriousness though, if you folks think we send a lot of money over to the province of Quebec, wait till you see how much we'll have to send the Country of Quebec.
    I'm all for it: "awww, you don't like it here. We don't make you feel special enough? Screw you get the fuck out."
    However, Alberta will go back into the red keeping the new country of Quebec from strangling itself, and we'll never see black ink again.

A comedian said it best: "Quebec is like a spoilt teenager. They want to be completely independent, but they still want to live in their parent's basement and not have to pay any bills."

Kris
    Last edited by TKRIS; 04-11-2005 at 09:16 AM.
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

I could care less about whether or not Quebec seperates.

I'm just going to vote for the party most likely to remove the french from my cereal box.

My Ride
    Low Rent

Morning just wouldn't be the same without Flacons de Mais.
    "Oh yeah! Plus, armed men are stealing my pop!"

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Are you joking? The Liberals won the 1993 election on the promise that they would scrap the GST. They have refused to do so.

Liberals tax, conservatives don't. It's party ideology. Canada was in a bad situation when the conservatives were forced to introduce the GST. Chretien's liberals loved and embraced it.
    Canada was in a bad situation because of Trudeau... who incidently was a liberal.

My Ride
    96 Explorer XLT

Something to think about:

Quebec’s total debt stood at $105 billion in 2001-2002, making Quebec one of the most indebted provinces. When one divides the debt by the number of inhabitants in the province, one realizes that Quebecers’ level of indebtedness is, on a per capita basis, the highest of all Canadian provinces, at more than $12,000 per inhabitant. (As Albertans, ours is only $689.) I think that if they want to seperate, thats awesome... Just drop your $12,000 in the box on your way out. Oh yeah.... and land isnt free either... you want that, you pay retail price.
    Last edited by qaxaz; 04-11-2005 at 11:46 AM.

My Ride
    '13 F150

It's always baffled me how a province with 25% of the nation's population can still be a "have not" province and expect transfer payments. They should be ashamed of themselves.

My Ride
    2003 Acura TL Type S

My Canada includes Quebec. But if they insist on separating I'll be there with my chain saw to really separate our nations. WATCH 'EM FLOAT OFF INTO THE ATLANTIC HAW HAW HAW. <ahem>

If they really want to separate they'd better be prepared to take their share of the national debt.
    Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2