Quantcast
Official MMA Thread - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 298 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Official MMA Thread

dammit, does anybody know what the KOTC card is? We are only 2 days out.

Theres a few at the bottom of the flyer

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

I saw one of those flashing billboards on gateway blvd saying royce gracie will be in town this weeekend to. there is a autograph session somewhere, but i couldnt see it.

Anyone got any info?

Just saw this

"MMAWeekly has learned that Evan Tanner will defend his title against Rich Franklin at UFC 53 in June. Franklin became the immediate contender after his impressive win over Ken Shamrock."

That should be a wicked smart fight in june

Hey Loose, How was KOTC?

My Ride
    S250T, 435ZHS

i jsut today heard of some big rumours that chucks first title defence will be against none other than...wait for it, your giong to be shocked...wait for it...wait for it.
    SHAMROCK!!!
    if it goes through, it will take place at UFC54

I dont know how i would feel about it being shamrock. I still like the guy, but he is near the end of his carrer, woudl like to see a up and commer get a shot

UFC 53 - JUNE 4th- Atlantic City, New Jersey

- Evan Tanner vs Rich Franklin - UFC TITLE FIGHT

- Matt Serra vs Karo Parisyan

- Nick Diaz vs Pancrase opponent

- Andrei Arlovski vs Justin Eilers

- Charles "Chainsaw" McCarthy vs David Terrell

- Stephan Bonner vs Sam Hoger

- Tim Sylvia vs Minotauro Nogueira

got this off www.mmaweekly.com. Bonnar vs Hoger?

Who didnt get a contract, so far ive heard griffin, bonnar, sanchez, florian, southworth, and now hoger?

And does that mean pride is lending ufc nogueira?
    Last edited by Dave P; 04-18-2005 at 08:11 PM.

My Ride
    S250T, 435ZHS

wtf, how the hell did UFC get nogueria!!!
    holy hell.
    they must be lending

UFC most likely won't get nogueira, mmaWEAKLY is unreliable. If it was happening I would have heard it already on numerous MMA sites, Sakabaira has said nothing of lending a fighter for the next UFC.

I believe Franklin already beat Tanner like a year ago, he will beat him again.
    Last edited by gatorade; 04-18-2005 at 10:50 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Wonder if it's Nog nog, or mini nog (the twin)?

Anyway, KOTC sucked. The average fan probably thought it was cool, but I thought that as a whole, the fights were weak. Generally, the standup was slopy, lots of fighters were in bad shape, and the ground fighting was brutal. Since most of the guys were pretty amateur, they bottom guy just tied up the top guy, treating us to ... nothing! No action on the ground.

The only fights i liked were:
    -Jesse Bongfelt (lethbridge) vs Paulo Albuquerque (good techinique, athletisism, heart)
    - Ivan Menjivar vs Brandon Carlson (I went to see Menjivar. unfortunately I only saw him for about 30 seconds, cause her RNC'd his oponent easily. at least he did back flips. download the APEX GENESIS and you'll see how great IVAN is)
    -Jason Macdonald vs Jason Brilz (good ground fighting, sub attempts).
    -Jeff Legault vs. Chad Hamzeh (both guys from calgary?) - good fight, both guys fighting hard.

I would have rather watched UFC on TV, then watch this KOTC live.

Last edited by Loose; 04-19-2005 at 09:07 AM.

its nog, mini nog is named rogerio.

if this fight ever happened it would make the UFC look like a joke, Sylvia has been submitted in under a minute in 2 of his last 3 fights.

Nogueira is a better submission fighter than any fighter Sylvia has ever fought, they are not even in the same league, at one time Nogueira was the #1 hw in the world, Sylvia is a bum, he hasn't even beat one top fighter. The best fighter hes beaten is Ricco who at one time was top 5 fighter, but now hes been on a downward spiral and hes inactive now.

My Ride
    Porsche 997 C2S / Toyota Tundra

Little TOTAL ELIMINATION preview:

The time has come again. The best 205-pound fighters on the planet gather to compete for the coveted PFC Middleweight Tournament championship title. This year there is no true weak link. There is hardly a “filler” fighter on board to round out the brackets. To a certain extent, every fighter on the card has a shot to win the title.

With current champion Wanderlei Silva in the mix, the favorite to win it all is a given. However, when names like Henderson, Arona, Nogueria, Vovchanchyn and Jackson are on board, plus the legitimate threats of injury and exhaustion, there’s no guarantee Silva will repeat.

We have a number of athletes who have tasted greatness before and miss the flavor. Fighters like Rua, Kondo, Overeem, Sakuraba, Yoshida, Randleman and Belfort. Even the dark horses, including Lister, Nakamura and Dong Sik, have a real chance to make it out of the opening round.

The entire card breaks down as follows:

Hammer House wrestler Kevin Randleman confronts Yoshida Dojo judoka Kazuhiro Nakamura.

Before they meet in the Abu Dhabi super-fight, Ricardo Arona from the Brazilian Top Team meets Dean Lister of City Boxing and Gracie United.

Kickboxer Igor Vovchanchyn of Team Vovchanchyn goes toe-to-toe with former King of Pancrase Yuki Kondo.

Brazilian jiu-jitsu fighter Vitor Belfort faces kickboxer Alistair Overeem from Team Golden Glory.

Team Quest wrestler Dan Henderson and Brazilian Top Team jiu-jitsu fighter Rogerio Nogueira square off.

Takada Dojo fighter Kazushi Sakuraba and Korean judoka Yoon Dong Sik take to the ring.

Wrestler Quinton Jackson of Team Oyama battles Muay Thai fighter Mauricio Rua from the Chute Boxe Academy.

And in the main event, Chute Boxe fighter and current PFC middleweight champion Wanderlei Silva takes on judoka Hidehiko Yoshida of the Yoshida Dojo in a rematch of their 2003 Final Conflict bout.

We should all have picks for each of the fights and see who guessed the best.

My girlfriend and I always use the system:

5 points - chosing the winner
    3 points - choosing the correct metthod (KO/TKO, SUB, or DEC)
    2 points - chosing the correct round

Total the points up at the end of the card, see who has the most.

Does anybody know if the Pride card will be fought with 2 or 3 rounds?

loose, we already do that www.4nzix.com we have already been doing it for 2 years

Damn, Ive being trying to learn as much about pride as i can, as i really didnt follow it before. I got Pride hardcore Knockouts. Damn. theres some big hitters in Pride. I think im gonna order this next ppv.

Here is a stupid question, what is Bushido? is it a division of Pride or am i way out to lunch

My Ride
    Porsche 997 C2S / Toyota Tundra

Originally posted by Dave P
    Damn, Ive being trying to learn as much about pride as i can, as i really didnt follow it before. I got Pride hardcore Knockouts. Damn. theres some big hitters in Pride. I think im gonna order this next ppv.
    Hardcore Knockouts is a great recap of some of the best fights in Pride -- if anyone else is interested I have a torrent link that is currently averaging ~300k/s.

Originally posted by Dave P

Here is a stupid question, what is Bushido? is it a division of Pride or am i way out to lunch
    Just a special pride event.

I am itching to see Ryo Chonan fight again.

Im loving pride. i wish i was more into it earlier. Im enjoying the kicks while on the ground haha.

Rampage is wicked to watch body slamming punks all over

PRide bushido is for the lighter weights in Pride, it is a Pride show, but its considered a lower level Pride show, they usually have the less popular or famous fighters on the card, and they hold them in smaller arenas.

They usually headline it with some of Prides top fighters. This is the show the newer guys use to get in the big show. Supposedly a calgarian is signed to fight "someday" in Bushido, named Nick Ring, but I'm not sure if it will ever happen.

To Dave P, Pride is currently at Pride 29 or something, so including the tourneys and special events theres something like 35 events.

You should also try watching some of the K-1 Romanex shows (mma shows), Inoki shows, Rings, Japan Vale Tudo shows, ETC, alot of the fighters in Pride have fought in those events.

Hey Loose,

Im guessing you would be the best to ask since i beleive your from edmonton, where can you buy mma dvds?

Thanks

Dave

i got some from amazon.ca

I know Nick quite well. He is the real deal. I'm not quite sure if he's Pride material, but believe me, he's a beast.

He was one of four who got Pride contracts after they had a north american tryout. I think there were over a 100 guys there. They picked 3 lightweights from the US, and Nick. He'll probably fight at 185lb.

Google "Nick Scorpion Ring", and you can probably find some stuff from his kickboxing career.

Page 2 of 298 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast