Quantcast
Salt Water Aquarium Help - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Salt Water Aquarium Help

My Ride
    Denali

Default Salt Water Aquarium Help

I have a 55 gallon salt water aquarium...I am still fairly new to this as it has only been about 7 months since I started... I just recently did a filter change and now all of my fish are dying..

Anyone have any help they can lend me as to how to prevent this from happening again and what steps I may have missed?!?!

My Ride
    Cayenne TT

When you did a filter change you should make sure to leave some of the old "dirt" in the aquarium to maintain a proper balance...

What type of filtration system are you using?

My Ride
    Denali

fluval 304...

is it better to change one component at a time?

My Ride
    toyota MR2

no you can change all your pads and carbon filters but you have to leave all but like a handfull of substrate or leave 2/3 (look like rocks) to keep a proper balance of bacteria as this is where almost all is stored. Thats why it is required that you let your tank run for a month before adding any type of fish so that you have bacterias in your tank... but the substrate box should have directions on changes

but take your water to any fish store and they will glady test your water...
    what kinda setup do you have?
    what kinda fish
    live rock? corals?
    what kinda light?
    protein skimmer?

You really shouldn't need filter like the Fluval. Invest in a good protein skimmer and maybe setup a refugium.

My Ride
    Denali

Originally posted by Impreza
    You really shouldn't need filter like the Fluval. Invest in a good protein skimmer and maybe setup a refugium.
    are you sure about that? for that size of a tank i don't think an overhang filter will really do the trick?!?!

I actually did take my water to a fish store, but that was definetly before I did the water change, so now I am sure it is pretty off.. Like I said, this is all new to me and now I feel as though I am starting my tank all over again... I did leave the tank when i initially set it up for 4 weeks before I added any other fish than damsels.

I think the main point is what was stated above about leaving some in there, as opposed to changing everything. Too bad I had to learn the hard way

As for fish... well, I barely have any left.. I had a blue tang, yellow tang (which is still alive), 2 clowns, aquestrian angel, a few damsels (2 out of 4 are left) and a cleaner shrimp

Coral (which is all doing fine still) one mushroom, and one soft coral (not sure the name specifically)

I also have an anenome, and some crab that I didn't even know I had but it came with some of my live rocks.

I really appreciate all the advice for next time... I will make sure to do this properly and leave some bacteria content in there...

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Well, for one thing, you do not need to change your pads/sponges in the filters (assuming you are using that in your filter). Next time you do a water change, take the sponges out and squeeze them repeatedly in the water you're about the pour out until most of the waste is no longer clinging to them and put it back into the filter. Don't rise them under the tap, because doing so can kill helpful bacteria used to neutralize ammonia/nitrates/nitrites in your tank (ie: waste like uneatened food and fish crap).

When you set up the tank, did you let it sit empty? Because even if you did, that's not doing anything. The tank requires waste and decomposing matter to grow the helpful bacteria mentioned earlier. Sounds like you dumped a shit load of fish all at once before the tank was capable of handling the bioload. If that's the case, your fish could be dying of stress and shock.

If this is your first time setting up a tank, regardless of whether it's freshwater or marine, I highly suggest you learn about what's called the "nitrogen cycle" before you purchase any more fish.

I've never managed a marine tank before, but I did read about it since I was planning to. When you did your water change, how much water did you change? And did you pre-mix the salt and water atleast a day in advance before you did the water change? Was the specific gravity levels between the two tanks similar? IMO, 55 gallons is too small for a marine tank, especially if you've never managed one before. Any inconsistancies between the old and new water (ie: specific gravity concentration of the saline mixture) could cause a lot of problems for the fish in a tank that size. Generally a larger tank is recommended for starters because it's easier for the old and new water to balance out and the fish won't be affected as much.

You might want to register at the AquariaCentral forums (http://www.aquariacentral.com/). There's a lot of helpful people there that can point you in the right direction before you hurt any more fish.

My Ride
    Denali

haha, ok, i think I may have made myself sound like an idiot...

I definetly did not add a whole bunch of fish at once... I set up the water.. let it sit with sand for 1 week circulating with cycle added... I then added 4 fish and let them cycle for about a month.. at that point I have been slowly adding everything. This includes slowly adding live rock, coral (both soft and hard) and fish at a VERY slow rate.

When I listed what was included in my tank this was everything I have established since october. Please keep in mind I have started this cycle in about october so this is definetly not a brand new tank, or brand new water. My tank was VERY healthy until this filter change, and I think it was hit dead on about removing carbon and filter and leaving the rest.

When I do water changes it is 20% per change, and my water is pre-mixed on a regular basis and my salt content is dead on...so that is definetly not the issue. Believe me, it is not the water changes or set up that I am having a problem with, it was a matter of learning to maintain bacteria levels. I have definetly done my research when it comes to everything else, it was a matter of learning to properly doing a filter clean...

Thanks again for your help everyone.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Sounds like you did your homework ahead of time, missblondie! Not too many people do when it comes to fish and they get pretty shocked at how involving it can be, especially with marine tanks!

Like I said, you might want to check out AquariaCentral. They'll probably be able to help you out much better.

My Ride
    89 Mustang Turbo 2.3 coupe

I had a 90 gal salt water tank for 4 years. 1 good thing to add to your set up, would be a good biological filter. such as a sand filter or trickle filter with bio balls and u never clean these filters. only rinse in tank water in bucket, never tap water.
    The fluval is not the best type for salt water, hope u dont use carbon. As it strips to many good things from the water, that coral would need.

I really miss my fish, my big fresh water tank was 230 gal with Discus (25) and many other rare plecos and such. I dont miss the work that it took to keep them all Mint.
    78 cobra II..... 347 N/A 11.34@119
    89 coupe....Alberta's fastest 4 cylinder Mustang 11.40/122.88

My Ride
    toyota MR2

hey im only running a 28 gallon marine tank. but right now ive only got a blue-yellow tailed damsel which are one of the most heartier fish there are. Ive also been pretty lazy but good ole jerome has survived through the worst of times.. I think the best thing i ever did was upgrade my light... Its doing worders for my tank and makes it look X1000 better

My Ride
    Denali

Originally posted by cobra347
    I had a 90 gal salt water tank for 4 years. 1 good thing to add to your set up, would be a good biological filter. such as a sand filter or trickle filter with bio balls and u never clean these filters. only rinse in tank water in bucket, never tap water.
    The fluval is not the best type for salt water, hope u dont use carbon. As it strips to many good things from the water, that coral would need.

I really miss my fish, my big fresh water tank was 230 gal with Discus (25) and many other rare plecos and such. I dont miss the work that it took to keep them all Mint.
    thank you so much for that hint about the carbon... I have been doing some more reading on that this evening and I really appreciate the feedback

about that trickle filter... I have definetly been considering making the change... in our next home we will be building a built in fish tank so the plan is definetly an upgraded filter...I have been looking at the variety of different set ups people have and just trying to decide which works best for me.
    Last edited by missblondie; 04-13-2005 at 12:11 AM.

My Ride
    Denali

Originally posted by thinmyster
    hey im only running a 28 gallon marine tank. but right now ive only got a blue-yellow tailed damsel which are one of the most heartier fish there are. Ive also been pretty lazy but good ole jerome has survived through the worst of times.. I think the best thing i ever did was upgrade my light... Its doing worders for my tank and makes it look X1000 better
    haha, jerome! great name! well, i just recently did a light upgrade as well... i definetly agree with you about it making the tank look so much better!

My Ride
    Denali

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    Sounds like you did your homework ahead of time, missblondie! Not too many people do when it comes to fish and they get pretty shocked at how involving it can be, especially with marine tanks!

Like I said, you might want to check out AquariaCentral. They'll probably be able to help you out much better.
    thank you so much for the AquariaCentral link by the way!