Quantcast
Feedback on Upcoming Features - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on Upcoming Features

Default Feedback on Upcoming Features

Before I implement some new features I just wanted to get some feedback to see if it will be worthwhile.

Private Message Downloads System:
    This feature is to help users deal with important private messages they don't want to delete from their inbox or sent items. The download system will allow you to archive your PMs and download them and save them to your own computer so you can free up the space on the forums.

Notify you via PM when a thread you started has been moved:
    Pretty simple feature, when you start a thread and its in the wrong section, currently you wont know its been moved. Some users even post a thread asking where their thread is because they don't know how to search. This will hopefully end confusion. You will not be able to opt out of this notification if implemented, but moderators at their discretion can disable the notification from being sent.

Ignored users cannot reply to your thread:
    If you have users on your ignore list, this feature will not allow them to participate in threads that you start. A lot of issues on the forums have to do with users that take things too personal. With this option you can ignore a user and basically end all contact with them but still allows both users to exist on the forums.

Attachments limited to car related attachments, max size of 100KB:
    Attachments are now only to be car related and have a maximum size of 100KB and 800x800 max resolution. Our database has grown incredibly fast because of the sheer number of attachments. Other forums do not allow attachments at all but we want to crreate a large resource for automotive discussions so its nice to have related images instead of red x's which happens when ppl use third party image hosting services.

------------------------------

Please post your thoughts on these features that I am currently looking into. I have partially implemented the attachments restriction, as there is no automated way to ensure attachments are automotive related at the moment. If you are extremely against the addition of these features, please post why, and same if you are in support of these features. I just wanted to get a few perspectives before I implement them.

If you have suggestions for features not listed in this post, please start a new thread and it will be looked at.
    ---

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Default Re: Feedback on Upcoming Features

Originally posted by kenny

Private Message Downloads System:
    This feature is to help users deal with important private messages they don't want to delete from their inbox or sent items. The download system will allow you to archive your PMs and download them and save them to your own computer so you can free up the space on the forums.

If you have users on your ignore list, this feature will not allow them to participate in threads that you start. A lot of issues on the forums have to do with users that take things too personal. With this option you can ignore a user and basically end all contact with them but still allows both users to exist on the forums.
    [/B]

Those 2 sound really good , good to hear

My Ride
    This and that.

^^Werd, Those 2 sound really good. Even the "Notify you via PM when a thread you started has been moved" should work as well. I dont know much about the last one, doesnt really matter because I dont post too many pictures on here. Even if i do, i just host it from photobucket or something. Sure go ahead with it, if it will save up some space on beyond.

Nice going on the ignore list But are the ingore user able to see the thread?
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Attachment idea makes total sense - I was always amazed that you allowed them at all.

Notification isn't that important imo because don't most people get email notifications on replies that automatically link to the thread, regardless of where it is?

PM archive, good idea - just dump it to excel or something and be done with it. I'd clear my entire box if that feature was enabled.

The Ignore user can't reply... I think that might get a bit abused by ignoring someone you are actually impacting their posting. If I ignore someone and they post in my thread, me not seeing their post at all would make total sense (and is pretty common), but preventing them from posting at all...

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    Cayman

I think that all 4 features are great

What if I ignore someone and then start a thread that they would actually post something worthwhile in, but they cant? I dont think its fair to prevent people from posting in a thread.

If you dont read their post because they are ignored, does it really matter if they reply?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

i cant get my pics that small

there quality is sooo bad you cant make them out

My Ride
    Eclipse

[/B]
    Not really digging this, say, someone makes a April desktop thread, and then if the thread creater has someone ignored, they can't post in it..

Im done for the other ones!!
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by 88CRX
    i cant get my pics that small

there quality is sooo bad you cant make them out
    nevermind..... we now had we-todd

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

how about self serivce Market place forums? not full self service but like if a item sells then you can lock the thread your self or have a light system for it kinda like when we are online

green: still for sale
    Yellow : deal pending
    Red : sold

I think it would help to clean up the market place a bit?

[/B]
    This would be an awesome feature. Makes it easy for the thread starters to ignore obvious post whores who don't contribute anything to the discussion of the thread.

As for suggested features, I don't know if vBulletin even has such a system, but what about thread voting? If a thread is voted too low or what not, it could be temporary locked and submitted to moderators for a final decision. This thread voting would effectively cut down on the number of useless posts and threads.

This suggestion is in wake of the numerous retarded fast & furious threads... notice how most of the thread starters are south of the 49th parellel . While the fast & furious threads are good for a few kicks and laughs, after a while, it gets lame when it's all started by the same clueless poster who carry over the same horde of people to only flame them again. I don't know about you guys, but it "annoys" me when I see the stupidity of the thread starter. Regardless it absolutely affects me in no way, just something to think about.

Sounds good, I still wish you could implement a donation section where when you donate you get a few things others dont, like attachments and such, as some of the imagehosters are slow themselves, others you can't hotlink too, not to mention the time wasted. I thinkit would be much easier to get some people to help pay for it and get the space they need/could use.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Personally, I think all the features except for the ignore one sound great. If you have a personal beef with someone and you put them on your ignore list, that shouldn't exclude them from the thread especially if they are legitimately contributing and staying on topic. Just cause you don't like what a person says doesn't mean it might be any less important.

Another scenario where I could see this not working is if someone is selling crappy merchandise in the marketplace. The topic starter could block someone who is aware of it and someone else could get suckered when they could've otherwise been warned.

One suggestion I would like to see is to allow topic starters to change the title of their threads in the Marketplace. I do see that people have tried to change their thread titles, especially after their item has been sold (thread titles don't change, but the Subject line does). I myself, and I'm sure other mods, get the occassional title change requests too. Also, this would be useful in case someone's forgotten to put "FS/WTB/etc..." and they would like to fix that before one of the mods trashes the post

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I like the "self-serve" market place idea where youcan change the subject or use the "light system". Would avoid alot of searching and would get rid of some of the clutter
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

Last edited by kaput; 03-13-2019 at 05:25 AM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by kaput
    Could somebody explain why you have set it so that we can only do one search every 60 seconds? I find it annoying when I know what I'm looking for and just need a few tries to find the right search term. If theres a reason for it then great, but if not then maybe consider taking off that limitation?
    That's something you could've searched for too:
    http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...threadid=82608

My Ride
    V167

Originally posted by kaput
    Could somebody explain why you have set it so that we can only do one search every 60 seconds? I find it annoying when I know what I'm looking for and just need a few tries to find the right search term. If theres a reason for it then great, but if not then maybe consider taking off that limitation?
    reason was posted before in another thread, limit has been setup for performance reasons, having a billion people hitting search search search search search search over and over again places strain on the resources. Another method would be to use the google search feature to find what you are looking for Type it in the google box and you'll usually find the thread you wanted

My Ride
    2013 Longhorn Ram

Im liking this.

Originally posted by SKR
    You know what, I'm such a ricer. More form than function, oversized exhaust, Japanese engine, and if I put the tailgate down it kind of acts as much like a wing as the picnic table wings the fast and furious guys are bolting to their cars.

I'm really diggin the pm inbox downloading feature. Just a question, in which format would we download it in? Would it be like an outlook file or something?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast