Quantcast
Most Influential Engines - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Influential Engines

Default Most Influential Engines

Just curious to see what everyone thinks the most influential engines from their respective manufacturers are. Here are a few of my favorites.

Ford: 302 (5.0L) - More so then any other engine produced by ford it is the definition of muscle. Power, reliability, and a huge range of aftermarket parts make this motor tough to beat.

Chevy: 350 (5.7L) - This was a tough decision, I was leaning towards the 454 but the 350 is a much more useable motor and has seen duty in many more cars then the 454. Also picked it for the same reasons as the 302.

Dodge: 426 HEMI - Expensive but the returns are huge, there was no debating this choice.

Honda: B series engines - The prime choice for motor swaps, with most having at or near 100hp/ltr from the factory they are argueably the motor that started the import tuneing craze in the 90's.

Toyota: 3.0 I6 (supra) - Don't know a lot about toyota's engine lines and history but this seemed the obvious choice.

Nissan: SR20DET - Need I say more?

Mitsu: 4G63 - So I'm a little biased. There's no argueing this motors potential for power combined with reliability. Now if they could only get a tranny to match...

Porsche: Flat 6 - The air cooled flat six from the 911 imo is their defining motor. Nothing else says Prsche like air cooled.

Audi: Quattro - Obviously not a motor, but I had to add it in for obvious reasons. Designed by one of the Porsche family members when he was techincal director there, any Audi aicionados here that can name him?

This is all I could think of right now, feel free to add your own choices or opinions.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

How about the north american industry changing 91 NSX 3.2L VTEC V6, it introduced variable valve timing system used in USDM and CDN markets.
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

from http://www.monito.com/wankel/mercedes.html

Daimler-Benz made several Rotary Combustion Engine (RCE) prototypes from 1962 into the early 70s.
    Some were developed for small sedans, but the one of most spectacular vehicles ever to flaunt a rotary was
    the two-seat C111, complete with gull-wing doors. The engine was placed mid-ship. Sixteen prototypes
    were built.

The MB C111 had three- and four-rotor engines, first shown in 1969 and 1970, respectively. The
    three-rotor could generate 280 bhp and move the car 0 to 60 in 4.9 seconds.

The four-rotor developed as much as 400 horsepower, though it was usually tuned for the street at 305
    horsepower. The engine had a displacement of 2.4 litres. There were interesting innovations such as a
    variable length intake and an anti-lock braking system (ABS). The car weighed 2900 pounds, but was
    capable of 185 mph. When tuned for 350 hp it did 0 to 60 mph in under 4.8 seconds. The body was
    changed from the previous year by adding air scoops in the front and cut-aways in the rear roof.

The project was headed by Dr Hans Liebold. It ultimately fell victim to the oil crisis and a timid board with
    a "not-invented-here" attitude. This was a shame because the cars were unfailingly reliable and wonderful
    at holding the road. At the high-point and termination in 1978 it set speed records of 403 km/h (250 mph).

What else? hmmmmmm

Ford 427 Cobra jet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ford 351 Cleveland & Windsor
    1957 Corvette 283 ci 283 hp fuel injected V-8 - way ahead of it's time
    And not really an engine, but the turbo GM made for Grand Nationals, at its best it was put on the 4.3L V-6 for the syclone/typhoon with 280HP/350TQ

Oh yah.... I believe GM was experimenting with VVT since the 50s or 60s

Oh yah, just thought of a couple more:
    Mazda's 2.5L duratec V-6. hahaha, you may be like wtf? but this kicked off a huge explosion of joint mazda/ford produced duratec engines. These engines are gonna be in so many of ford's and mazda's vehicles in the next few years that they'll probably be the most common family of engine on the road. The current big starters are the new 2.3 I-4 that's in the ranger. It's gonna kick off a whole new line of engines for the ranger and possibly other vehicles, rumored to be an I-5 to replace the standard pushrod 3L (my engine) and an I-6 to replace the SOHC 4L. This is good news, since the SOHC V-6 is way too weak to compete with GM's new 4.2 vortec I-6, so expect to see it in rangers and explorers and mazda varients.
    Also, the 3L duratec that's in the escape/tribute now has big plans. You know the new Aston Martin V-12 Vanquish? Well apparently that V-12 is basically 2 duratec 3Ls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The 3L may also go into a future V-6 miata. Also, expect Them to put variable valve timing onto this engine soon, bringing it up to 220+ HP soon
    As for the 2.5, well it hasn't died. It was used in to contour, and SVT contour (200HP) and is currently in the cougar.

And I don't know much about it, but GM's new ecotech is supposed to be one hell of a base engine that every company is gonna have trouble competing with.
    Last edited by T5_X; 06-23-2002 at 06:51 PM.
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

My Ride
    2008 Z06

Typhoon/Cyclone/Grand National/Type-T engines.
    Current Cars:
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Stage 2, 12.44 at 110mph
    1972 Chevy Super Cheyenne C10 Pickup 402 big block, 700R4
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile, moneypit
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST | Cobb Stage 1, catless downpipe
    2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
    2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108mph
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

My Ride
    '07 Ranger FX4 Level II

4g64
    4g63
    6G72TT
    and
    b16a1

my favorite engines right now
    Originally posted by rage2

Just because you're older... doesn't mean you need older women. Nothing wrong with an 18 year old here and there!

subaru ej20
    mitsu 4G63

lets of history behind both of these engines.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Originally posted by legendboy
    How about the north american industry changing 91 NSX 3.2L VTEC V6, it introduced variable valve timing system used in USDM and CDN markets.
    in 91 the NSX engine was only a 3.0l and the b16a1 made the first appearence in 89 in JDM land and other places in the world.

I can not remember the engine code but the skyline engine.

I would not have put the DSM engine on the list with the others.

I wouldn't count the NSX motor as most influential because VVT had already been around for years and it wasn't until the B series engines that it was available to the masses. Also the MB rotaries never saw mass production so therefore could not really be considered most influential. However on the topic of roteries, of which I can't believe that I forgot is the RX-7 motor. Rotary power for the masses.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
    I wouldn't count the NSX motor as most influential because VVT had already been around for years and it wasn't until the B series engines that it was available to the masses. Also the MB rotaries never saw mass production so therefore could not really be considered most influential. However on the topic of roteries, of which I can't believe that I forgot is the RX-7 motor. Rotary power for the masses.
    I would call this engine one of the most influential engines because:

"NSU was very astute in requiring license holders to share research results with all others"

I'd say for early development of performance rotary engines, MB played by far the biggest part.
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by redline
    I can not remember the engine code but the skyline engine.
    SR26DETT
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

SR26DETT
    skyline isn't a SR motor. its RB26DETT.

oh yeah. can't forget the toyota 2JZGTE

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

Volkswagen VR6 12V

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
    Volkswagen VR6 12V
    why?

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

Default Re: Most Influential Engines

Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
    Audi: Quattro - Obviously not a motor, but I had to add it in for obvious reasons. Designed by one of the Porsche family members when he was techincal director there, any Audi aicionados here that can name him?
    That would be Dr. Ferdinand Piech, grandson of Ferdinand Porsche.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by 2000impreza
    skyline isn't a SR motor. its RB26DETT.
    Oops... guess I aint' a Nissan expert.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
    Volkswagen VR6 12V
    rofl
    ---

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Re: Re: Most Influential Engines

Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
    That would be Dr. Ferdinand Piech, grandson of Ferdinand Porsche.
    Did you know Porsche designed a 2 stage cam profile system back in the 30's (I think around that era) for varying valve lift duration? It was only used on his race cars because of the costs. The system is nearly identical to the VTEC system of today.

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

Originally posted by redline

why?
    Hmmm... cause it's known for it's legendary success amoung the automobile industry, for it's super smooth power band... I could keep going on... but I'm not... LOL

Peace

yeah my buddy has a VR6, all i can say about it after one ride in it is that but i sure didnt have enough money to buy one anyways ..!!VR6 forsure!!! but mods = VERY expensive

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

Default Re: Re: Re: Most Influential Engines

Did you know Porsche designed a 2 stage cam profile system back in the 30's (I think around that era) for varying valve lift duration? It was only used on his race cars because of the costs. The system is nearly identical to the VTEC system of today.
    Ferdinand Porsche is one of the most brilliant designers in the history of automobiles. Many of the innovations he created were years ahead of their time, things that are taken for granted today but were absolutely bleeding edge at the time.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast