Quantcast
Your digicam may soon be obsolete... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Your digicam may soon be obsolete...

Default Your digicam may soon be obsolete...

Not just a bigger megapixel camera superseding it, but a new way of recording the image... CCDs will soon be history. I found this on another car forum and thought some of you might find this interesting.

Foveon took as its mission another radically simple idea Mead loves: "Use all the light."

Don't cameras already use all the light that enters the lens? Film cameras do, but digital cameras, with few exceptions, don't. As Mead puts it, "They throw away two-thirds of the light." That makes sense only if you understand how a typical image sensor works. It's basically a rectangle of silicon on which millions of microscopic light-sensitive pixels (technically they're not pixels, but that's what these light-sensing points have come to be called in the digital-camera business) are arranged in a grid. Pixels can't sense color. So a checkerboard of tiny red, green, or blue filters must be bonded to the surface of the sensor so that each pixel lets in one of the three primary colors of light. In so doing, it blocks out the other two.

By comparing each pixel's single-color reading with that of its neighbors, software can derive the values of the two missing colors at each site. That takes approximately 100 calculations per pixel. In a four-mega-pixel camera, a size commonly available today, that adds up to a lot of number crunching. The process is called interpolation, and Mead has a less kind name for it.

"It's a hack," he says. "They have to do all this guesswork to figure out what they threw away. They end up with a lot of data, but two-thirds of it is made up. We end up with the same amount of data, except ours is real."

That is because X3 does what until now only film has been able to do: in one exposure, on one image plane, measure all three primary colors of light at every point on the picture.
    Here's the entire article.

(long reading)

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

A good idea, but one that needs a bit of development still. The first generation of cameras using this new technology have been shown to not render colors nearly as well as an equivalent CCD.
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

My Ride
    2008 Z06

I hate my Panisonic.
    Current Cars:
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Stage 2, 12.44 at 110mph
    1972 Chevy Super Cheyenne C10 Pickup 402 big block, 700R4
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile, moneypit
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST | Cobb Stage 1, catless downpipe
    2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
    2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108mph
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

lol, good price though man, I'm buying a G3 in the spring.
    Travel

My Ride
    2008 Z06

I've been reading good things about the Nikon 5700, and the Fugi Finepix S600 Zoom. I recently used a 3.2Mp Olympus w/ 10X optical Zoom. I was impressed, and it had awesome macro ability(from 0.8").

If you hadn't, check out www.dpreview.com.

teh macro owns me:
    Current Cars:
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Stage 2, 12.44 at 110mph
    1972 Chevy Super Cheyenne C10 Pickup 402 big block, 700R4
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile, moneypit
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST | Cobb Stage 1, catless downpipe
    2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
    2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108mph
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

My Ride
    Highlander

We discussed this idea in my photo class last semester. There is one camera in japan or somewhere over there that has brought this out. Some say it is better, others say it needs work. Eventually, I'm sure it will take over the "pixels" in our digicams but that won't be for a while. They need to get the technowledgy down to a science before it can work and convince the die hard digi fans to convert...but on the plus side, the new 11MP camera will become cheaper with the new developments! Not that I'm sick of my D-60 yet, but one can dream!

Melinda

I still use film.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

LOL, dont tell me that I am gonna have to pull one apart now

My Ride
    GTI

Default Re: Your digicam may soon be obsolete...

Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
    "It's a hack," he says. "They have to do all this guesswork to figure out what they threw away. They end up with a lot of data, but two-thirds of it is made up. We end up with the same amount of data, except ours is real."

Here's the entire article.

(long reading)

LoL, with a hakk it's always guesswork, hehehe

Sounds interesting though, specially since i'm thinkin of gettin a digi cam

My Ride
    GTR Evolution and a G25

Melinda, geez, you have a Canon D60 (2200 USD street price)?! Are you a professional photographer? I could use that thing when I go to the Swedish Uddeholm Rally (WRC event) to take pics of those damned cars swishing by.

Edit: Ah.. journalism student and photography as interest.
    Last edited by Mikko; 01-08-2003 at 01:48 AM.

My Ride
    Highlander

Originally posted by Mikko
    Melinda, geez, you have a Canon D60 (2200 USD street price)?! Are you a professional photographer? I could use that thing when I go to the Swedish Uddeholm Rally (WRC event) to take pics of those damned cars swishing by.

Edit: Ah.. journalism student and photography as interest.
    Haha yep, I'm a journalism student at SAIT and will be majoring in photojournalism next year. I pay my way through life doing as much photography outside of school as I can get. The camera wasn't cheap, and neither have the acessories I've gotten for it since but it's an amazing camera (6.3 MP) and it's really helping me out in a lot of ways.

Haha as said previously, if anyone needs a photographer, let me know!

Melinda

My Ride
    GTR Evolution and a G25

One that works for free?

I'd love to see you take some more pictures from Auto-X and Rally events. There's the Calgary Rocky Mountain Rally, Cochrane Rally, etc. Hope 4wheeldrift will show up on those events sometime (actually driving). Maybe in his new STi sometime later. Seems tricky to take those sort of pics. Maybe I should experiment BEFORE going off to the WRC rally.. got any tips for catching WRC cars flying by?

I have a Olympus C3020. I think quality is lacking at 3.2mpixels, but downsizing it to web-watchable makes a large difference. Chromatic nonsense is visible often.. spend lots of time fixing the pictures up in art programs. I went and read a long review of your camera at www.dpreview.com - very very very nice.

My Ride
    Highlander

Originally posted by Mikko
    One that works for free?

I'd love to see you take some more pictures from Auto-X and Rally events. There's the Calgary Rocky Mountain Rally, Cochrane Rally, etc. Hope 4wheeldrift will show up on those events sometime (actually driving). Maybe in his new STi sometime later. Seems tricky to take those sort of pics. Maybe I should experiment BEFORE going off to the WRC rally.. got any tips for catching WRC cars flying by?

I have a Olympus C3020. I think quality is lacking at 3.2mpixels, but downsizing it to web-watchable makes a large difference. Chromatic nonsense is visible often.. spend lots of time fixing the pictures up in art programs. I went and read a long review of your camera at www.dpreview.com - very very very nice.
    Hahaha nope, I generally don't work for free (unless its car meets or the odd pic of a fellow member's car) As for Auto-X and Rally, I have www.albertatuner.ca (my online magazine) so I'll be out at those events anyways taking pictures, interviews, covering the events Ect. Mikko, if you're interested in helping cover these events as a part of the Alberta Tuner team, PM and let me know; it sounds like you are really into these events.

As for photo tips, add me to your MSN if you have it ([email protected]) or PM me and I'll give yo a few. I'm gonna go look at the specs of your C3020 and refresh my memory as to what it can do and I'll have some stuff to tell you

Thanks man!

Melinda