Quantcast
Hydrolock - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hydrolock

My Ride
    bmw m3

Default Hydrolock

How deep of a water puddle do i have to go through to hydrolock my engine i have cold air intake and a 2 inch drop.

Also should i be worried when it says we expect 10mm of rain from tonight to tommorow night.

Is hydro locking the same as hydro plane?

My Ride
    '07 Ranger FX4 Level II

Default Re: Hydrolock

Originally posted by civic_rida
    How deep of a water puddle do i have to go through to hydrolock my engine i have cold air intake and a 2 inch drop.

Also should i be worried when it says we expect 10mm of rain from tonight to tommorow night.
    Do you have one of the AIM water by pass valves? If not i wuld look in to one. I would just drive as careful as possible, i know when it rains i have to stay back from people as my intake is right behind the grill and is quite open now, it wont take much for water to get in there if your are going through big puddles though
    Originally posted by rage2

Just because you're older... doesn't mean you need older women. Nothing wrong with an 18 year old here and there!

My Ride
    bmw m3

bypass= loss in power

Default ahhh

Hydrolocking is when water gets into your airbox or air-intake and is fed into the engine, causing the engine to sieze. (ie: your motor is F-CKED)

Hydroplanning is when your tires are spinning too fast to bite into the road to get traction. Your car starts to lose control. This happens on highways when its wet. Usually you have to be going pretty fast though 120 km/h+ depending on tires, weight, etc.

As to civic_rida's question, I have no idea, but I'm sure it depends on how fast you are going and how exposed your intake is. Just be careful and treat puddles like speed bumps.(ie drive slowly).

BTW, is it raining 10mm or 10cm? (typo?)
    Shut up and race!

My Ride
    bmw m3

i've never seen 10cm of rain

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

i've never seen 10cm of rain
    Waterton/Pincher Creek saw 300MM of rain two weeks ago. Most of It fell within 48Hrs...damn, thats ALOT OF RAIN!
    Travel

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

Originally posted by Evan
    Is hydro locking the same as hydro plane?
    Hydrolock is totally different from hydroplaning. Hydrolock is when you suck a sizable amount of water into the engine via the intake. Its a very good way to bend your rods into U shapes.

My Ride
    '21 F150 Lariat Nardo Grey

Well you have to be an idiot to hydrolock your engine. If you see a puddle, change lanes or SLOW down. So simpo!

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by CRXguy
    Well you have to be an idiot to hydrolock your engine. If you see a puddle, change lanes or SLOW down. So simpo!
    Not everyone has da madd skillz

My Ride
    Cayenne TT

bypass= loss in power
    Bypass Valve = Hot Air in Intake System...thus loss power

so that means that the bypass valve defeats the purpose of a Cold Air Intake!

My Ride
    bmw m3

do u have a cold air?

My Ride
    '07 Ranger FX4 Level II

Ya.. but it stays shut untile themain filer is blocked right? i rmber asking when they came out if vtec would affect it when it kicks in as there is a lot more air flowing though and would open the valve.. i am not too sure how it works
    Originally posted by rage2

Just because you're older... doesn't mean you need older women. Nothing wrong with an 18 year old here and there!

My Ride
    '08 Mitsubishi Lancer, '97 GMC Jimmy

I know a guy who just did this to his engine. He is the biggest idiot. 2 weeks ago when it was raining alot, Water got into his intake, so to solve the problem, he decided to cover the intake with a plastic bag! it sucked in the bag, crushing the intake, and F**king up his engine even more!(its now completely seized) Some people.
    "Car Manufacturers give us a well engineered basic car but leave it's real development to us."

Cold-air intakes are ass in my opinion. They don't cool the intake temp enough to justify the extra piping or the chance of hydrolocking (though I don't think that hydrolocking is a big problem or anything)
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    335i

You would have to be pretty stupid to hydrolock your engine. I've had my CAI for about two years without a single episode.

Hydrolock is when water gets into your engine. Hydroplane is when a layer of water gets in between the road and your tires, so that you are floating on water kinda. Makes for a slippery road.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Cayenne TT

Originally posted by B18C
    Cold-air intakes are ass in my opinion. They don't cool the intake temp enough to justify the extra piping or the chance of hydrolocking (though I don't think that hydrolocking is a big problem or anything)
    Cold Air Intakes are really good, it's just the optional bypass that you can add that defeats the purpose of the Cold Air Intake. I think that the risk of Hydro Lock in Calgary is minimal, I can see the concern in city's like Vancouver where it rains alot!

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

The AEM bypass valves only work well if the filter is fully submerged anyways.

Well, I did a little test with my injen with and without the coldair extension and the difference in intake temp was about 10 degrees farenheit under VERY hard acceleration (which is like 1whp) and less than 5 degrees farenheit at cruising.

To me that isn't a big enough difference to warrant the extra piping. Besides, even Jackson Racing recommends a shorty for supercharged applications. It supposedly lets the blower draw in air more efficiently.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Originally posted by B18C
    Well, I did a little test with my injen with and without the coldair extension and the difference in intake temp was about 10 degrees farenheit under VERY hard acceleration (which is like 1whp) and less than 5 degrees farenheit at cruising.

To me that isn't a big enough difference to warrant the extra piping. Besides, even Jackson Racing recommends a shorty for supercharged applications. It supposedly lets the blower draw in air more efficiently.
    and people without heat generating SC will see less of a differnence.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast