Quantcast
Stepper Custom Homes? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Stepper Custom Homes?

My Ride
    EF ZC-T, EK-T, Blazer, EF

Default Stepper Custom Homes?

Has anyone ever had a home built by Stepper Custom Homes. What was your experience with them? Has anyone ever had to go back to them with a problem and how fast did they fix it

My Ride
    Germanrific - 1/4/5/6/A/C/E/R

it's a typical big box home company - I've heard some stuff about them but I can't remember much detail..

Maxima Homes (which is part of Stepper) seems to make okay homes. I knew the person who use to be in charge of that division- nice guy.
    Last edited by t-im; 04-30-2005 at 05:11 PM.

Never had one built but he was my neighbour when I lived in the NE. Nice guy and family... Heard they are pretty good builders but couldn't tell you from firsthand experience, sorry.
    I know you don't smoke weed. I know this. But I'm gonna git you high today. 'cause it's Friday, you ain't got no job, and you ain't got shit to do!

My Ride
    Village Bike

Had a couple of ex-coworkers who built with them. I can quote both of them...

"I will never build with them again"

That was there experience and not mine.
    Between anarchy and calm, there is a door marked supplies.

My Ride
    2007 F150

i have heard a few bad things about stepper... i used to work for a company who did work in their homes...

IMO, morrison homes is an excellent builder.. they have won builder of the year the last 4 years and won the customer choice award this year...

check em out.

I considered building with them back in the mid-90s. Didn't like what I saw and went with another builder.

My Ride
    96 328I

my advice if you plan on building a house is use a realtor, my experiece with builders is that they try to sell you stuff you didn't agree to have in the house or possession dates that keep being put off to a later date. realtors will look out for your best interest. plus when you buy a house realtors don't charge a fee

PM me if you need a realtor

My Ride
    Bicycle

Building a home is always a hassle. Having an expienced realtor to go thru the detail is great but unless the builder is giving him some kick back, I doubt many realtor will put much effort into it pro-bono. And if it's the dealer who's paying him/her, I wonder whose interest the realtor will really look after?

I trust realtors like I trust used car salemen. Not like there ain't any good ones out there but I can say for sure bad ones out number them 10 to 1.

From other who has built a home, everyone got a horror story and not just with Stepper. Because many jobs are sub-contracted, many contractors will try to cheap their way out as much as possible. They'll use wrong material either by mistake or intented. You have to make sure the build contact to go into detail of to what nails are used because there'll be discrapencey and the contract is the only way to ensure you get what you paid for.

I prefer homes that are already built. It's tougher to find the right one but has far more advantages:

1) It's the interest of the owner/builder to get rid of it asap to recapture the captial. The power is in the buyer's hand.

2) Everything is already built, you know what you're getting into.

3) If something doesn't seem right, don't offer til it's fixed. Building a home that you've already paid for and try to tell/ask the builder to fix minor stuff afterward is a royal pain in the butt. It's not in their interest to help you since it'll cost them time and money, and most important they ALREADY GOT YOUR MONEY, what do they care. Most contractors are already moved on to next home/project and they may fix it on their "free" time.

My Ride
    96 328I

that's true about realtor's there are a lot of bad ones....alot!! and the hard part is finding a good one.

however a good realtor will know that one day you will be selling this house so off course its always in there best interest to treat you with great customer service and to make you happy so they will come back to the realtor they use

my mother in law calls this her inventory(lol)