Quantcast
no public email - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: no public email

My Ride
    03' Silverado 1500 & 2500, 04 g35

Default no public email

That is really dumb that we can't use gmail addresses to signup. I have two friends who won't even sign up because of it. People don't want to check their shaw email specifically for one forum and the webmail format for it is the worst I've ever seen and some people don't use pop3.

It may seem dumb from a users perspective, but trust me we tried to keep it as wide open as possible (we want a nice large community) but by not allowing public email addresses to be used the re signup cycle increases and thus the trolls don't bother.

There are still a bunch of public email hosts that we allow, but as we see them we will continue to add to it. For those that use public email as their primary email, im sorry but the trouble makers have ruined it for you.

If beyond.ca isn't worth the two minutes to check the email for the confirmation link, then its okay, they probably have nothing worthwhile to contribute.
    ---

My Ride

Can they at least get it switched once they've been around for awhile?

And it has absolutely nothing to do with a confirmation link.. its all the emails that contributing members use to follow their threads.

Also.. It would actually be quicker to make a new shaw email through the web site than it would sign up for gmail.. so I have no clue what you're talking about.

Shaw is not as anonymous, you can create 30 email accounts under shaw, but it all links back to one account. When a user creates a large enough disturbance on our forums we make a quick phone call to Shaw and the problem is resolved.

Hope that answers your questions, you don't have to agree with our policy, I just hope you understand the reason.
    ---

My Ride

Right.. and what is shaw going to do about it? LOL

A whole lot more than what google can do
    ---

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

I'm registered on a Gmail account... it's my only email.
    Originally posted by VIZSLA
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

My Ride

You must've got in earlier before they decided to be dicks :P

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Originally posted by pixil9
    I thin Kenny provided you with a real logical/fair answer to your question. We are not the only forum/site that does it.

you don't have to agree with our policy, I just hope you understand the reason.
    Thx

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Nobodies making you stay man. Christ, people bitch about everything these days.

"They disagree with the work I do but eat the bread it buys"
    Travel

My Ride

A real logical answer heh.. I think you should read the thread. Nowhere does it say what shaw will do about it. They can't do anything.

I run forums way larger than this and I'm smart enough to know that banning gmail and hotmail isn't going to do shit.

Anyway doesn't matter.. i'm done with this thread.
    Last edited by pixil9; 05-05-2005 at 08:15 PM.

My Ride

A real logical answer heh.. I think you should read the thread. Nowhere does it say what shaw will do about it. They can't do anything.

I run forums way larger than this and I'm smart enough to know that banning gmail and hotmail isn't going to shit.
    you want a logical answer, I'll give you one

If you dont like it, leave!

Ben said it the best, no one's making you stay.

Man if you don't want to check your shawmail all the time for thread replies from beyond, then use your head, or theirs.

Its called Forwarding, and HEY what do you know, shaw provides this service, AND FOR FREE!

Setup a shaw account, forward the emails you get to your shaw account, to your GMail account, not only will GMail get rid of the spam for you, it will also... get this... display your shaw email

My Ride

Leave.. ya that's a great way to go through life.. be a passive piece of shit.

Try asking questions and standing up for yourself.

I run forums way larger than this and I'm smart enough to know that banning gmail and hotmail isn't going to do shit.

Anyway doesn't matter.. i'm done with this thread.
    What forums do you run?

Banning gmail and hotmail will never rid the world of issues, no, but it does keep some of the people who have too much time on their hands and not enough brains that prefer to only use gmail and hotmail because they are easy and quick, from becoming a pain in the ass.

My Ride

Yes.. that's really practical.. setup a whole entire email address and then forwarding.. GREAT IDEA. or you could just allow gmail. YOU use your fucking head.

Your right I could just allow gmail, oh wait a minute it isn't my forum or yours and neither of us can do shit about it.

So why don't you use your fucking head and instead of coming in here and making a fool of yourself, go setup an email you will never have to login to again yet still recieve emails from sites that block public email addresses, like Beyond.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Leave.. ya that's a great way to go through life.. be a passive piece of shit.

Try asking questions and standing up for yourself.
    You're fucking braindead today man.

What gives?!

We did this to curb the amount of people that would just turn around and sign up yet another free hotmail acct to troll our forums. What is the problem with using an ISP email address?! I sure as fuck dont know. I really feel you're just looking for anything to yell at today, because you're mad at life, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Not a topic worth arguing over, seriously. THere's sticking up for yourself, and then there's being a cynical retard with nothing better to do...and you're the latter. Go cool down, seriously, it's an email address, thats it.

we had a user a while back whom had 6 gmail accts and he kept signing up with them only to cause more shit on this forum, and he was definatly not the only person to do this, as such, only isp and other non mainstream email accts are allowed. Seems like a simple enough, and understandable reason to me.
    Travel

My Ride

or you can just GTFO

LOL I love threads like this, they provide such great entertainment. You can whine and cry like a baby all you want, the policy will not change as it the results speak for themselves. The number of trouble users has dropped significantly.
    ---