Quantcast
Last minute comments wanted from you Law types re: my plan my trial plan! Thanks!! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What are my chances of winning?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

22 68.75%
  • Bad

3 9.38%
  • Could go either way...

7 21.88%
  • The defence needs work (please post comments in the thread)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Last minute comments wanted from you Law types re: my plan my trial plan! Thanks!!

My Ride
    a wrx.

Exclamation Last minute comments wanted from you Law types re: my plan my trial plan! Thanks!!

So I've got a ticket for running a stop sign coming up here soon. Actually tomorrow morning, so this is pretty last minute. I just finished up with preparing my defence, so tell me what you guys think. Thanks!

A. Cross Examination Questions

1. At which street or intersection did you start to follow the Uhaul?
    2. Please describe the path taken by the Uhaul from when you started following it to when you stopped it.
    3. Where did you stop the Uhaul?
    4. How fast did the Uhaul turn through the intersection?
    Did you know that it is impossible for a 7000lb, 19foot long Uhaul to take a sharp 90° corner at such a high speed?
     You do now.
    5. At what distance did you follow the Uhaul?

B. Defence

• Testify myself:
    o I was driving a Uhaul to help a friend move. As shown on Exhibit A, I was driving northbound on 111th Street, coasting at approximately 15km/h. I was coasting slowly because I was lost, it was dark out, and the roads were quite slippery due to a recent rainfall. I came upon the intersection at 90th Avenue and braked briefly. Due to the road conditions and the extreme heaviness of the vehicle, anything less than a complete stop would have surely resulted in an accident. As such, I came to a complete stop, and then proceeded to make a safe turn westbound through the intersection into the Hub Mall parking lot. After another 30 seconds, a campus security car pulled up behind me and turned on its emergency lights. The officer told me that he had been following me since 112th Street and that I turned through the corner at 40km/h without stopping.

• Your honour, I’d like to show you __5__ instances where the officer has made glaring errors in his observations. The citation, which was issued based upon these flawed observations, is as such, cast into reasonable doubt.
    1. The officer said that he started followed me from Q1_________ when in fact he told me on March 27th, 2004 that he started following me from 112th St.
    2. The officer contradicted himself by saying that the vehicle turned eastbound at the intersection (in his notes), when in fact a westbound turn is required to reach the HUB mall parking lot.
    3. The officer followed the Uhaul from a distance of Q5________, which is too far to accurately judge vehicle speed or whether it is stopped or not. For example, in the officer’s notes, Constable Herchak first noted that the Uhaul had “slowed momentarily,” then contradicted that by saying that the Uhaul took the turn “without any attempt to stop or slow,” then again contradicted that statement by saying that the Uhaul turned at 40km/h from a cruising speeding of 50km/h. These conflicting statements show that the officer’s distance from the Uhaul made it difficult for the officer to accurately assess the Uhaul’s movements.
    4. There is no way that any vehicle is capable of making such a sharp 90° corner at 40km/h as proposed by Constable Herchak. Exhibit B shows a small red sports car turning westbound at the same intersection at approximately 10km/h during daytime. It is hard to even imagine a 7000lb, 19 foot long Uhaul, as shown in Exhibit C, turning at 40km/h at all, especially with limited visibility and slippery roads, as shown by Exhibit D.
    5. That night, I was also wrongfully issued a ticket by Constable Herchak for not having insurance due to him not properly reading the terms and conditions of the rental agreement. This ticket was later voided. Because one of the two tickets that Constable Herchak issued me that night has already been proven invalid, who is to say that this ticket is undoubtedly valid?

C. Argument

Your honour, I have shown you __5__ instances where the officer’s observations have been shown to be flawed. The officer could not accurately recall the details of the incident, the officer demonstrated that he was too far to accurately assess the vehicle’s movements, the officer made claims of turning speeds that are impossible, and the officer had already written me one other invalid ticket that night.

It is clear that when an issued ticket is based upon such flawed observations, that the ticket itself is flawed, or at the very least, can be cast into reasonable doubt.

Last edited by GTS Jeff; 05-10-2005 at 12:14 AM.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Looks like you did you h/w.. Good luck
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

There's enough reasonable doubt. It'll get tossed out.

Good luck tomorrow.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

the glove doesnt fit

nice work

My Ride
    This and that.

Wow man! You pretty much nailed it right there. Even if it didnt make sense they would have just tossed it out anyways. Shit you should be good, but still good luck.

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

You seem really well prepaired... i think its in the bag... good luck.

My Ride
    H-D 883 XLH

just keep your story straight, the cp will try to find inconsistancies in your story, if he fails, you've got it for sure.

I think you got it in the bag. Regardless of what happened, im sure if the judge sees how much work you put into this, he will lessen or drop the charge.

GO JEFF GO

My Ride
    B8 A4/MKV GTI

Use the chewbacca defense!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

^^^^ HAHAHAHAHA

nice job jeff. don't think you have anything to worry about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    '97 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Wow, congrats, sounds like you got a solid case. Good luck!
    Some people are funny. They spend money they don't have, to buy things they don't need, to impress people they don't like.

My Ride
    Kompressor

Good luck!

My Ride

Good job Jeff, if more people put this kind of effort in I think bullshit tickets would start to get eliminated. I wish I could see the look on the officer's face when you make him look like an idiot in front of everyone else there. Update the thread and let us know how it went.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

haha depends on the mood of the judge really. I was in Red Deer like 12 years ago, and did the same thing, prepped my own defense on my speeding ticket (15 over).

Prepared a huge argument on human reaction time using a stopwatch, and how there could be a +/- 15km/h difference if the stopwatch was clicked late at the start, and clicked early at the end based on average reaction times. It was a huge argument that made sense, but the judge threw it out. Why? The cop had a certificate for stopwatch training, and I didn't have any math certificate showing that I was an expert at these calculations, even though it was like grade 5 math hehe. Still though, it was a fun experience being a wannabe lawyer for a day.

BTW - they don't use airplanes to clock people anymore because of the inaccuracy .
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Dave P
    I think you got it in the bag. Regardless of what happened, im sure if the judge sees how much work you put into this, he will lessen or drop the charge.

GO JEFF GO
    Well I that's pretty much what happened. The judge saw right through most of my defence, which was pretty weak stuff anyway, but she she found me guilty of a lesser charge of failure to obey a traffic control device.
    Originally posted by Khali
    Good job Jeff, if more people put this kind of effort in I think bullshit tickets would start to get eliminated. I wish I could see the look on the officer's face when you make him look like an idiot in front of everyone else there. Update the thread and let us know how it went.

Haha I did get in a lot of shots at the campus 5-0 jerkoff, which made his face turn red, but I think that did more harm than good hahaha.
    Originally posted by rage2
    haha depends on the mood of the judge really. I was in Red Deer like 12 years ago, and did the same thing, prepped my own defense on my speeding ticket (15 over).

Prepared a huge argument on human reaction time using a stopwatch, and how there could be a +/- 15km/h difference if the stopwatch was clicked late at the start, and clicked early at the end based on average reaction times. It was a huge argument that made sense, but the judge threw it out. Why? The cop had a certificate for stopwatch training, and I didn't have any math certificate showing that I was an expert at these calculations, even though it was like grade 5 math hehe. Still though, it was a fun experience being a wannabe lawyer for a day.

BTW - they don't use airplanes to clock people anymore because of the inaccuracy .
    I'm thinking of appealing this ticket with some physics calculations as new evidence and my degree as certification of qualification, as well as finding some witnesses.

I think I could give a better performance next time though. First time in trial made me a little nervous heh. Oh well, there's a parking ticket going to court in a couple weeks.

How much was the original ticket?

My Ride
    335i

Congratulations, but you would have gotten the same result if you just pled guilty and asked for a reduction
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    Congratulations, but you would have gotten the same result if you just pled guilty and asked for a reduction
    But that wouldn't be fun! Seriously, it's a cool experience to try and fight it in court.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Hahaha! This reminds me of that episode of Webster when he had to go dispute some ticket he was given while riding his bike. He had this whole case worked out and even re-enacted riding his bike in court!!

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    I tried that with the CP in the morning, but the bitch said no.

Anyway, as rage2 mentioned, I do appreciate the experience. I'll be putting this learning experience to good use next month when I go to trial for a parking ticket haha. I'm considering appealing this shit too, to see how far I can get.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast